display bug

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
so there is a display bug, when you are let's say on the first page of a thread which has multiple pages ( or any other page beside the last one) and you post, your post is displayed on the page you are on instead of the last page.

this happened at least 10 times already, I think that the repro steps are the ones above. I encountered other display issues also, although most of them including this one seem to be gone upon a refresh

Thanks for posting :)

so there is a display bug, when you are let's say on the first page of a thread which has multiple pages ( or any other page beside the last one) and you post, your post is displayed on the page you are on instead of the last page.

. . . but I don't think this is actually a bug. If you are reading though a, say, 10 page thread and see a post at page 5 you wanna reply to, so you quote and reply in the text box at the bottom of the page and hit POST- either the software could keep you on the same page you were viewing (but not where your post would end up) or it could take you to your post at the end of the thread. If you hit post and stay where you are, you're probably gonna assume the post thing didn't work. What if you want to keep reading the thread and replying? So your post is just temporarily inserted onto the page you are viewing, but this is for you only, and only persists for as long as you are still in the thread. The actually post number (eg. in the right corner of the reply box) is retained and so the software displays the posts out of order for you only, for everyone else in order of reply. When you refresh the page, it should re-order the posts so your reply will end up last. If you hit the 'more posts to display button', it also pushes your post back to the end and displays the rest of the thread.

Does that make sense? If you play around with it a bit, you will see that it does the same thing everytime- its an intended quirk of the software to try and keep a user where they wish to be, rather than where the software wishes to put them, and to always ensure that replying to content is as streamlined as possible.

Bear in mind, its hard to find the little part of the user manual that explains these functions, so I am speculating based on repeating this a few times on a test site.

What other non-persisting bugs have you encountered? If you can describe them here I will try and replicate them and see if I can imagine a functional reason for them too :)

it may be that way, it makes sense considering that the post disappears,.

also let's say you are on the Forums main page, you click on a recent thread (it can be any thread tho), when you click the "back feature" you return to the Forums main page but the recent threads and the rest of the UI is not updated ( messages/notifications). I don't think this is really a bug, but it would be nice if the forum main page refreshed on it's own, even when I got a new message if I am not refreshing the page I'm on it takes 20-30 minutes for the notification to appear

there is a new bug, in the latest posts sometimes when I click one of the posts, instead of getting me there where the post is, it gets me to an older post made by the same person (like 3-4 pages behind). I don't know how to repro this, but in the last week it happened a lot of times, mainly on the desktop version, but at work I encountered it on the mobile version too