• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Dispensary-Purchased Weed With Expiration Date?

Boveda 2-Way 62% Humidity Packs using Reverse Osmosis Membranes. They did a Study where at least the specific Strain which I read it varies for some losing smell etc over time but 58% to 63% Humidity was the ideal range. I know for any Strain I use an airtight Glass Jar the Weed actually becomes drier slowly over time until it stabilizes at the 62% Humidity. I've read some people say certain Strains can be Aged like Red Wine and taste better as time goes by and other Strains simply start to lose their pleasant smell or flavour and some Strains are not affected by those problems are just one the problems.

^^^Indeed some strains can age and the terpene profiles change.

One of my favorite strains, Forbidden Fruit, has an extremely complex terpene profile that can change over time. It’s been awhile but if I’m remembering correctly... Often Forbidden Fruit can have a passion fruit/juicy fruit kinda smell but as it ages can change to more like grapefruit.

Also I can’t tell you how often with dispensary and illicit cannabis that I’ve had to further cure/age the bud to get a better terp profile and smoke.

IMO cannabis should be cured for a month after drying. Obviously most people don’t do this.. If your lucky and they didn’t ruin it (by drying it wrong, curing wrong and essentially locking in that nasty flavor) you can finish it yourself after buying.

Where I live I’m lucky, there’s a decent supply and all bud is stored in large jars which customers can smell. This allows the bud to cure on the shelf essentially.

While I’m on the subject... Any growers reading.. The best way to dry and cure is this.

When you are ready to harvest take the plant as it stands and trim it right then and there. Once trimmed pull from the ground and rinse roots with lukewarm water, pat dry and hang in dark dry place. Cannabis is dry when you can peel a bud back and it bends a bit then breaks. If it bends but doesn’t break easy it’s not dry, breaking immediately on bending is too dry.

You want to dry with as much of the plant intact, in fact if you can trim the small leaves but leave the easy to trim sun leaves for after drying that’s even better. The MOST ideal way, if grown indoors, is to trim what you need to them simply shut off the lights and dry like that for a week or two. The longer you can allow the plant to naturally die the better.

Now trim off the buds and gently fill up mason jars giving a little head room in each one and plenty of breathing room around the nuggets.

Top mason jars and cure for one month. First week burp daily, second week burp every 2-3 days, last two weeks burp 4-7 days. You’ll know better as experience grows how often to burp.

After a month you pull one of them nuggets out and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
-GC

Last edited:
There has been some suggestion that Health Canada implement not only a ‘packaged on’ date

Packaged, what. You're from Canada and still can't use English properly.

lol.

As for OP, this is the answer you are looking for. Make sure you have a zip-lock bag, make sure it tights, so there's no holes. If it gets too much air than your weed will be fucked. As for weed, if isn't dryed and cured properly then your smoking quality will drop and you will be prone to mold. And you don't want that. Weed don't expire, lol.

So, when I first read the OP's post I thought, I believe I have seen the date the lot was tested, by what testing facility and lastly, the date "you" purchased it. I don't remember seeing an expiration date anywhere. So I decided to grab one of my recently purchased 1/8 containers and Boom! All the info I remember seeing in the past was on the label printed out by the spensary at the time of purchase. However, there is a date one year out actually printed directly on the container as it came from the growing facility. I've always missed that info because I was more focused on the sticker. Also, many times the sticker would actually be stuck right over that into. So, no biggie really! It's just one year out and if you have any cannabis sitting around that long, I may be able to help you smoke it before it expires. You know, I"m a nice guy like that.