• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Dispensary plastic pop-top containers

What 23

Ex-Bluelighter
I have recently been touristing the world of recreational marijuana. I live in a non-recreational state, but am bordered by two with rec, one with med.

Anyway, I have noticed that many of the pre-packaged amounts come in these plastic containers.

31llwIJtn8L._AC_.jpg

I have issue with this because, well, plastic... plastic when it rubs up against things, has a tendency to flake off. These containers require that there is a "locking", and the type of plastic it is, it just tends to run the danger of flaking off. It's not like it does it a lot, but, it is of concern.

Does anyone else notice this? I wish more of the places offered other methods to take the stuff home. I wish there was more awareness about this. People are so used to plastic, and not thinking about it- Basically I have this aversion to smoking it (Haha). I'd be fine eating it - still don't prefer eating plastic but can't exactly get away from it, it's everywhere, but at least I wouldn't be combusting it and putting it in my lungs.

I know it's always been plastic. Plastic baggies, for instance. But these things just seem different.

Anyways, I'm just venting, I guess. I think they have plastic, mylar bags they can use next time, if I want them to. I just don't care for these pop-top things, and would prefer a NO PLASTIC option. This is one reason I try to stick to distillates that come in glass darts with silicone contacts inside, and lids, and to eat it.

Don't mean to stir any anxiety. Anyone ever think they accidentally smoked some plastic from one of these things? If you look inside, where it latches, you might find weaknesses in the structure, or thin plastic hanging...

I get my cannabis in containers identical to that and have never had any issue with any flaking of the tubes in many years of utilizing them. I do put my cannabis inside a bag, inside the tube with a silica gel pack before vacuum sealing for long term storage though.

The dispensary's here use way to much waste in packaging. I buy from a guy and it comes in a zip lock bag.
I have seen single rolled joints with more waste paper than a pack of cigarettes.
It's sad, we are killing the environment every way we can.
If i knew more science i would definitely try to invent packaging from the leftover leaves and stalk and male plants.
If given the choice i would pay an extra couple bucks for something environmentally friendly

Yes it's why I dont really go for the whole preroll scenario it is alot of packaging just to hold a single joint it's pretty silly they have the plastic container similar to that. And honestly how hard is it to buy a bag of weed and roll your own joints and not throw away money.

I’ve actively tried to get people to think about this and some newer shops are changing their ways but it’s horrible still buying an 1/8th of bud and getting this plastic bottle that can’t even be recycled in many places out west!!

Some shops are starting to do sealed bags which reduces but doesn’t eliminate plastic. I’ve got a bin full of these fuckers that I can’t toss (in my soul it hurts) but can’t recycle either.

There needs to be a specialized recycle program for these bottles. Maybe a company which charges a small fee to transport to another state which can recycle said bottles.

-GC

I still have an old container like that from like 2 years ago that came from Cali. I'm the kind of person who hoards random cool drug stuff so I've been using it for other stuff. I can't find any noticeable damage on it after putting many different things in it and it bouncing around in storage for a time. Like I said I'm weird with any fun little thing related to drugs so I like it, but I can see why phasing them out would be a good idea. I'm sure there's already millions of those, in my state alone, buried in a landfill somewhere. My state went fully rec legal about 10 months ago.

I don't think you're smoking plastic occasionally though. From what I can tell from that old one and the ones I've seen here since rec legalization, they're pretty sturdy and won't erode like you suggest.

That plastic doesn't really flake. I can't really think of too many plastics that do flake even. Even if they did you would notice because you would be smoking plastic and it would taste different than pot. Unless you were like: "this must be that heady new plasticine kush, because it tastes like burning plastic, "

I’m also very neurotic. I should have taken a picture. I transfer it right away, anyway, into mason jars.

It would definitely be cool to have a hemp material option. Not sure how that would take form.

plastic waste is a pain, but you can always take the weed out of the original container and put it into glass jars. :)