• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Diphydramine addiction/use/abuse and side effects. Making myself a case study

Benadryl

Greenlighter
Excuse this big blob please, i typed in the mobile site formatted it and then Learned i couldnt post due to couldnt pick prefix. So I copied and pasted. I am not a troll. I named myself benadryl because I have been taking it for around 7-8 months. I have read several threads about diphydramine use here at BL. I provide this information of my use and side effects for harm reduction and education. It will be a couple of weeks long thread maybe a couple of months. I intend to update with information concerning the side effects of cold turkey quitting benadryl or diphydramine. Most of the time, I will refer to diphydramine not benadryl. Tonight will be my first night without diphydramine. 1 gram a night, i have been taking for around a month. Starting with my past drug use incase it's important.

Nicotine for 4 years in total. Smokeless tobacco for 1 year. Then, the 2nd and 3rd year I used both smokeless and cigarettes. The 4th year to present day have been vaping ever since I quit using tobacco.
I smoked cannabis for 4 years. Recently quit around the time, 7-8 months ago, I started using diphydramine.
I used opiates or benzos during those 4 years whenever I did not have cannabis.
A year ago, I tried exctasy(I think I spelled that wrong.) and coke, once. I did shrooms 2 times. Acid two times. That all fell into one month.
I did adderall for around 2-3 months. Before I quit cannabis.
Alcohol, I'm not a big fan of. Maybe a month in total out of my life has been drunk days.
I used dextromethorphan to trip twice around 2 months span.

7-8 months ago, I started using diphydramine. (Round abouts. And estimation. I cannot remember how much i took each night. ) It wasn't a thing I meant to make a habit of. I used it to help me go to sleep. I tried tripping off of it in the second month. I didn't like it. I used it after that for solely to go to sleep. I have always had sleep problems. The first week I used around ~75-100mg. Each week I would take 25mg more, if I couldn't get tired. When I tripped around the second month, I took 500mg. Tripped consisted of laying in my bed thinking bugs were on me, objects would fly around near my fan, talking to my best friend that lived a state away, objects moving when I knew they werent, lack of motor control, dry mouth, muiltple of other things. I'm just gonna continue with my diphydramine experience. You can go to erowid if your want to learn about trip stories. I remember after I tripped, I had to take more for the tired effect.(tolerance built up.) Around the 4th or 5th month, I was taking close to 600mg a night. Around a month now, I used a gram a night.(1,000mg if people didn't know). First few months, I used soft gels 50 mg, 96 in a bottle, that got expensive. When I moved, 1 In a half months ago exactly, I started using diphydramine tablets 25mg each, 100 in a bottle. A dollar a bottle. Last night was my last night taking diphydramine. I don't know how well I will be able to fall asleep, if I will be tonight. If anybody has sleep tips and tricks, pm me. I have tried alot of them. None works. But, anyway. I have been catching myself loss congitive ability, for a while now. Back 2 years, I could do a sudoku puzzle "hard difficulty" in around 15 mins. I haven't tested myself recently. My spelling and grammatical errors have been getting worse. I would take diphydramine 2 hours before I need to go to bed. If I stayed up any later then that, I would usually not be able to go to bed. 2 hours and I would feel tired, if I didn't go to bed. The tiredness feeling would go away. My eye sight has been really bad lately. I haven't tested any of that yet. Coming this week will be tests. Eye sight, sudoku puzzles. To test myself, 1 a week I have decided. But the main reason why I have decided to quit dipahydramine. My throat is becoming swollen. I have read online. No doctor for me. It is caused by acid. I assume by taking so much dip-hcl. I will respond back tonight or tomorrow morning, what time I sleep till and what time i pass out.​

you be takin' a lot more than benadryl.

I don't really know your point here but if I use benadryl for sleep, consecutively, it loses it's potency and no longer works as good for sleep, so I take breaks.

Point of this thread is to see withdrawal symptoms or side effects for quitting diphydramine cold turkey.

Is this the same as Diphenydramine in the UK? If so then it too loses all potency after consecutive use.

Diphydramine is the chemical name. Antihistamine. Used for sleep aid or allergys. I haven't came across any studies for long term use of diphydramine. Australia have taken data points, united states have never used humans. I have used it personally for 7-8 months. Consecutive use, every night? I increased my dosage just because I thought tolerance increased?

Try to get some zopiclone, a weeks worth, to try and cut the need for the Benadryls. Then again, if your relying on Benadryl to get you head down then, you may end up with a worse problem with zopiclone or other sleepers?

The chemical name is, as mysafehome01 asked, is diphenhydramine. That is the generic name for Benadryl. Not "diphydramine".

Benadryl does have withdrawals. At these doses i'm scared for how severe they may be for the OP. Google anti-histamine withdrawals. Symptoms include severe itching, nausea, vomitting, stomache cramps, and chills/hot flashes, along with insomnia.

Good luck with this OP, but i have to say you have dug yourself into a deep hole man. Also, at those doses benadryl may be doing damage to your kidneys and liver, you should get blood tests done soon aswell to assess possible damage so you can take steps to getting your health back.

This is a serious situation though, you really have to get off the benadryl. I recommend a large drop in dose to maybe 300mg or so at night, and then a taper of maybe 25mg less every 2 days.

Last edited: