• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Diphenhydramine is called Nytol in the UK, also experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty-oak

Bluelighter
Was chatting to a member who has been helping me out the other day about Diphenhydramine. I ordered some Benadryl as that is what its found in....Apart from the Benedryl in the UK does not contain Diphenhydramine but instead something called Acrivastine, so UK buyers beware of this! Thought I should put this thread up to help any buyers in the UK for this OTC medicine, its not found in Benadryl here its only found in another OTC called Nytol.

Out of interest here......Who has found
Diphenhydramine helpful for anxiety?

Acrivastine is a second gen antihistamine, second gens are not as sedating (if at all) as the first generation antihistamines, so it won't help with anxiety much/not at all.

Slightly off topic, but I just read a study about the correlation of allergies and anxiety/depression. People with allergies seem to be more prone to anxiety and depression.

Never did anything for me, they are marginally usefull for insomnia.

Thanks for the replies.......[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Diphenhydramine is meant to be good for anxiety but the drug in the UK Benedryl called Acravastine is not meant to be any good?[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Any reviews/reports on [/FONT]Diphenhydramine, side effects etc?

I suffer from allergies so interesting about anxiety and allergies!!

Yes, acrivastine won't help with anxiety.
Diphenhydramine can help, but it's different from person to person. Just try it :)
Hydroxyzine would be way better than diphenhydramine, from the wiki :
Hydroxyzine has shown to be as effective as the benzodiazepine drug bromazepam in the treatment of generalised anxiety disorder.[17] However, a systematic review concluded that it can not be recommended for generalized anxiety disorder, although compared with other anxiolytic agents (benzodiazepines and buspirone), hydroxyzine was equivalent in efficacy, acceptability and tolerability.[18]

Thanks mate

Alas I cant get Hydroxyzine here in the UK, shame as it sounds so good. Looked online at buying some and found somewhere, then checked the reviews, lucky I did as they seem to be scammers.

So will get myself some 'Nytol' (Diphenhydramine) as this is available in the shops in the UK, although from what I have read the Pharmacist has to ask a lot of questions before they will actually sell it!

Thanks for the replies.......[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Diphenhydramine is meant to be good for anxiety but the drug in the UK Benedryl called Acravastine is not meant to be any good?[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Any reviews/reports on [/FONT]Diphenhydramine, side effects etc?

I suffer from allergies so interesting about anxiety and allergies!!

Diphenhydramine is probably too sedating to be used throughout the day IMO.

That said, there is a definite antidepressant quality to it simply because it selectively inhibits the reuptake of serotonin. Indeed, with just a minor tweaks to the structure of Diphenhydramine, researchers managed to abolish the antihistaminergic effects, resulting in the creation of the SSRI Fluoxetine, better known as "Prozac".

Make sure you don't take too much Diphenhydramine or you will (literally) have conversations with people who aren't there. It has very severe anticolenigenic effects.

Make sure you don't take too much Diphenhydramine or you will (literally) have conversations with people who aren't there. It has very severe anticolenigenic effects.

This. Diphenhydramine is good at medium dosages (50-100mg) for sedation if you're trying to fall asleep. As your dosages get higher though, the effects become somewhat unpredictable, you can become delirious and very anxious. Like Kleiner said, Hydroxyzine is a much better antihistamine for anxiolytic effects.

Anyway there is much discussion on the world wide web on Diphenhydramine. I don't see the reason for having another one here in OD.

Status
Not open for further replies.