Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dimethyltryptophan and decarboxylization

OntarioGuy

Bluelighter
Hey guys,

My Vendor just began carrying Dimethyltryptophan. I don't believe it is psychedelic, but my source indicates that it can be decarboxylated to Dimethyltryptamine. Would this be like a cannabis decarb? Could it be achieved with heat?

Would one do it like a weed decarb do u guys think? Or perhaps smoking it would decarb it instantly to a degree and provide effects. It seems relatively cheap. Maybe I'll get some in the name of science when I have spare cash next week as I just spent all my money on 4 ho and 5 meo met.

This seems Interesting especially if it can be decarboxylated to DMT easily

Last edited:
Lambda:

Well, technically it probably is psychedelic, because if it's anything like (L-)tryptophan itself you can probably just eat it and have it decarboxylate metabolically into DMT through the action of aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase, same as L-tryptophan itself as well as 5-HTP and L-DOPA and such. The vendor does say for the record that it is L-dimethyltryptophan too. That being said, if you just eat it it's very possible it will not just form DMT, but also 5-hydroxy-L-dimethyltryptophan and subsequently 5-HO-DMT, or bufotenine, which is a fairly interesting thought... though would make it clearly not just a simple DMT prodrug at the same time. It's also worth considering that these tryptophan derivatives could also plausibly have some unforeseen pharmacological properties not associated with their tryptamine derivatives that might make us not want to simply ingest them directly, but it would be very hard for me to say that with any certainty at the moment.

I'm afraid I cannot answer the question of whether smoking would have an effect or not though, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable than myself will be able to do so.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

My Vendor just began carrying Dimethyltryptophan. I don't believe it is psychedelic, but my source indicates that it can be decarboxylated to Dimethyltryptamine. Would this be like a cannabis decarb? Could it be achieved with heat?

Would one do it like a weed decarb do u guys think? Or perhaps smoking it would decarb it instantly to a degree and provide effects. It seems relatively cheap. Maybe I'll get some in the name of science when I have spare cash next week as I just spent all my money on 4 ho and 5 meo met.

This seems Interesting especially if it can be decarboxylated to DMT easily

I work with decarboxylases that convert amino acids to amines, for example, dopa decarboxylase, in my lab. These enzymes do not react with dialkylated amino acids, since the mechanism requires formation of an imine with the cofactor. So, it can't be a prodrug for DMT. It may be possible to decarboxylate dimethyltryptophan chemically, but those reactions generally require long refluxes (~24 hrs) in solvents like diphenyl ether, with a high boiling point, 258 C. I would guess that the DMT product would not survive those conditions unless it is distilled from the reaction pot.

Most illuminating and interesting! Thanks for the response. I wonder if it is active in its own right

Lambda:

Thanks for the insight tryp2fun, that's very nice to know. :)