• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Difficulty with Seroquel and Opiates

Bloodborne1

Bluelighter
I?ve been using pain medication on a daily basis for the last two years. I have an extensive history with severe Crohn?s disease with nearly a dozen surgeries in only a few years. I have always gotten a decent buzz off of my norco because I take them on an empty stomach and use benedryl and other anti-diarrhea medicine to potentiate it. Even after two years, I?ve still managed to always get that mild buzz.

Recently, I was prescribed Seroquel (anti-psychotic) for my severe depression subsequent of my health issues. Although it has helped my depression, it has rendered my ability to buzzed/high off pain medicine nearly impossible. Even when taking larger doses, the result is trivial.

I?m not at a stage where I?m ready to give up norco. I?m not interested in changing meds. I would prefer to not increase dosing. I?m a functional addict who is a respiratory therapist. I?ve tried to play around with the times I?ve taken the seroquel, but I still can?t achieve the desired result. I really don?t want to give up seroquel just to get high/buzzed off opiates. But, I?m still addicted to opiates and want to stay on them.

Can anyone help me out on what to do? Is there a specific way to stay on my antidepressant while simultaneously using opiates for recreational usage. I don?t want any recommendations on how to quit pain medicine. This isn?t the purpose of my thread. I?m trying to get back to the desired usage but keeping my depression at bay.

What dosage of Seroquel?

And "how to get buzzed" is discouraged, although this seems to have a different element

Is Seroquel helping? It isn't exactly a go-to for depression, it is better as a potent H1 antagonist; that is an effective sedative/hypnotic and even appetite suppressant

What dosage of Seroquel?

And "how to get buzzed" is discouraged, although this seems to have a different element

Is Seroquel helping? It isn't exactly a go-to for depression, it is better as a potent H1 antagonist; that is an effective sedative/hypnotic and even appetite suppressant

Thanks Lorne. I was about to say something similar but Seroquel didn't suppress my appetite though I was only at 50 mg. OP, have you tried any other antidepressants? You may wish to speak with your doctor and explore other options. There are lots of different meds out there.

I?m on 300mg of Seroquel because previous medication hasn?t worked such as Zoloft, Prozac, and Remeron. Seroquel is generally an anti-psychotic, but it can be used for severe depression.

Thanks Lorne. I was about to say something similar but Seroquel didn't suppress my appetite though I was only at 50 mg. OP, have you tried any other antidepressants? You may wish to speak with your doctor and explore other options. There are lots of different meds out there.

I meant to say "appetite stimulant"- a lot of people get groggy, and eat and sleep for 10-15 hours after they try 100mg

Remoron is similar to Seroquel, and one of the most potent H1 antagonists around

There have to be other options; you didn't answer if it was helping? And they have CR

Seroquel is helping. It?s the only medicine that has helped my depression. But, it also is stopping my high which I can?t have either. Just trying to find out how I can have my cake and eat it too

Reduce dose, and take at night

Bestbcan offer atm, don't know why it is having that much effect, although 300mgbis a large dose-you may just have to change your cake

Seroquel is weird. It's antipsychotic at different doses and a sleep aid at others.

Suggest taking 25mg doses through the day instead of one big dump at night for a couple of days to help out your thought processes then not at all day before then have your high day then go back to normal Seroquel.

You can't have have an on impulse session on Seroquel.

I cant imagine taking seroquel in the morning. When I take it to sleep, and I cant ( cause I'm in withdrawals) I get delusional and just feeling fucking weird. Last time I used it, it gave me a burning sensation on my skin for 24+ hours. Like when your hands go from being really cold to really hot, and they sting. It felt like that, but all over my body. Yuck. I would personally look for something else.

What dosage of Seroquel?

Lorne to the rescue ;). We'll have to give you a badge and a gun and put you on the beat, as it were.

I cannot see a likely scenario in which you will be able to have your cake and eat it too. I think you've learned all that you can learn. You're familiar with how the drug makes you feel, but the side-effect of blunting the effects of your Opioids isn't tolerable. I would suggest looking into a different antidepressant medication. Although it should be noted that it's actually a fairly common issue, that is, antidepressants subjectively blunting/altering the effects of various users' drugs. It's often things like MDMA. They just can't seem to get that "magic".

I noticed a difference in the effects of various drugs while I was on Fluoxetine (Prozac), but I wouldn't say that this difference was significant enough to truly make me stop and consider it. It was just different. I'm not implying that my experience is universal, it's merely a related anecdote and hopefully it helps. Feel free to PM me if you would like a more in-depth chat regarding this stuff!

I think I?m going to try a new medicine. I just hope whatever it is, it doesn?t dull the opiate high. Any suggestions for a specific antidepressant that has worked for you guys?

Everyone is so different when it comes to psych meds, no real point in handing out recs. Find a good doctor if you can, that's the key.

Prozac is the only SSRI that I can tolerate and I've tried so many. (in the past 4 years- Celexa, Viibryd, Zoloft, Lexapro) Then there's Wellbutrin, Mirtazapine and Trazodone the last two were for nighttime usage. My psych doctor wasn't keen on putting me back on Paxil hence the fluoxetine/Prozac. Seroquel made me feel very sluggish the next day and made me eat like a horse. Mirtazapine was not as bad sedation-wise and at higher doses may help your depression.

Tolerance is likely coming into play here as you have been on hydrocodone/Norco for two years. I take Prozac in the morning and use hydrocodone sparingly, like after dinner and maybe again at night if needed. You have to ask yourself which is more important- getting relief for your depression or maintaining the opiate buzz? Like Keif said, we're not really about helping you get the best high but here to keep you safe.