• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Difficulty in getting my script filled. Very frustated. What is going on here?

Thank you for that clarification kittycat, sounds very frustrating- this could go on further but it would start to go off topic of the thread.

Most pharmacist choose the easy way out and just say we dont have it in stock but really mean I fear for my license and dont need another headache.

Been there, done that! I wish I had a dollar for every pharmacy that told me they didn't have my med in stock. I even called one pharmacy beforehand to be sure they had it in stock before taking off to get it. They gave me the "not in stock" deal but something told me to go in person anyway. I did and it got filled with no problem.

Luckily I'm in a good position now with only using the one pharmacy. I usually call a day or two in advance to be sure it got ordered and is waiting for me. They know me and let me know what they have. I show up and get it filled with no issues whatsoever. God help me if I ever have to be "thrown to the wolves" and get forced to find another source. That could actually keep me awake at night! Also, I just want to say Thank You Kitty for sharing your knowledge with all of us BL'ers!!!

The PM group that I see shares a building with an independent pharmacy-it stocks EVERYTHING. The pharmacist also tells me they check the MAPS system with every script. I don't doubt that their profit margin is thin but it assures patients can get their scripts filled. Unfortunately, the pharmacy is not open in the evenings or weekends, so some planning is required.

Just dropping in to say thank you Kittycat5! You posted some great, high quality information in this thread.

Just dropping in to say thank you Kittycat5! You posted some great, high quality information in this thread.

Thank you. I know being a PM patient isnt easy and there certainly are pharmacists who look at any patient taking chronic pain meds as junkies but I think it is helpful for anyone doing so to see all the bullshit pharmacists have to put up with from the laws, insurance, corporate, and financial aspects of pharmacy and that these roadblocks are often why you guys find it hard to get your scripts filled. I wish more of my colleagues would try to walk in your shoes more often, though. To the patient, all that matters is can I get my meds, and my profession often does a poor job at explaining why sometimes you cant.

If you have questions feel free to ask me. Im on your guys side and I go to bat for my patients and see no reason why I couldnt for members here.

Kitty, many thanks for the helpful information you have posted here. I do not want to hijack this thread, but have a question about ER opiates. I had been prescribed morphine sulfate ER and after trying it for several months, could not get past the side effects of nausea and lethargy. I was then prescribed oxycontin crush resistant this month....... However, the cost, even with insurance, is too expensive for me to continue. I have already spoken to the pharmacy dept at the insurance company I have chosen for 2016, and she said that they cover generic oxymorphone ER. Does it offer more bioavailability via oral route than than the morphine, and generally speaking will it be less expensive than the oxycontin? Is there a chance I will feel lethargic on this medication as well? FYI: I am prescribed oxycodone 15mg for breakthrough pain and experience no side effects.

Last edited:
what are the rules of pain management? I have two dislocated shoulders, two torn labrums, and two torn rotatur cufffs. I am in chronic pain 24/7, have only been perscribed benzos and adderall before, and have no felonies. Would I be able to qualify for such a program as I am in desperate pain.

It is not an exact science and there are many factors that are not necessarily taken into consideration, but most opioid equivalency charts say 30mg Morphine=20mg Oxycodone= 10mg Oxymorphone when taken orally.

Oxymorphone itself has low oral bioavailability (~10% ) but is more potent meaning lower levels produce the same effect as something with higher levels. Many say it is less effective than Oxycontin or even Morphine ER when taken orally but many also equate the euphoria or feeling high feeling with analgesia so it is hard to really tell from anecdotal reports.

We are boarding on breaking the rules here, but generally Oxycontin is more expensive without insurance, but Oxymorphone ER is not exactly cheap. With insurance I cannot say. There are patient assistance cards for Oxycontin out there which could make it more affordable. PM me if you want details.

i am looking to get into pain management. what is DPMP? How would I check if i have any red flags?

PMP is the Prescription Monitoring Program, the database that pharmacies submit to when they dispense controlled drugs so other pharmacies and doctors can see trends in patients usage.

If you have real pain DetroitEDM, you could simply try and call a PM doctor. They often are booked for months so a visit to your GP for initial evaluation and referral may help.

^^^^
Kitty, you are an incredibly nice person for posting valuable information!

I'm in the same state as DEJ and our system, MAPS, is not accessible to the general public. Reputable PM groups (that won't be shut down by the DEA or other authorities) are fairly cautious about new patients. They prefer a referral from a treating Dr. and will order a work up if one hasn't been done and don't prescribe before the work up. If there are red flags in the MAPS, prepare to discuss them. Prescription contracts are standard as are urine screening. While the PM groups may not give a patient a hard time about weed, prescription drugs are something else. And street drugs are a way to get kicked out of the program.

Recently, a rather crazy anesthesiologist who I never saw before some unrelated surgery announced I should be on Suboxone rather than hydro. I told him that was like using a sledgehammer to hit a housefly. Even if that form of off label pain control was indicated, I would never agree. Sadly, that is a way to get labeled as a junkie by any medical provider. If I ever had to be seen at an ER for an injury or medical condition, that would be the first assumption. No thanks.