• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Difficult to swallow during oxy high

Opioten

Bluelighter
Am I the only one who find it difficult to swallow water/tea during a high dose of oxycodon?
:\

Sorry if this is a weird question but I need to know :)

Opioids are known to decrease esophageal motility and also decrease lower esophageal sphincter pressure, which can both cause problems swallowing effectively.

If you're prescribed opioids, you should talk with your doctor about this as dopamine antagonists can help with these symptoms.

Am I the only one who find it difficult to swallow water/tea during a high dose of oxycodon?
Just spit ;)

But seriously it's caused by the reduced ability of your esophagus (the muscular tube which ushers food down to your stomach) to relax (in between contracting) making it harder to swallow.

edit:
dokomo's answer has more fancy words so just listen to him.

Last edited:
I came to post what everybody else said. I've also noticed it's nearly impossible to take a piss when I've done enough heroin, or any opiate for that matter. Is this the same basic concept?

Yea urinary retention is common amongst opiate users. Happens to me all the time just turn the water on in your sink to help get the flow going.

All those sphincters down there like to seize up. Can't get food or drink in...can't get food or drink out :S

This used to happen to me all the time, but only when I mixed with benzos.

*EDIT* I was smoking black tar heroin, not oxy.

Was never hard to swallow for me but i sured do get the urinary retention.

I usually "take a knee" in front of the can to help out. Now its become habit and i do that during the night when i gotta piss too but dont wanna turn on the lights(hate light) lol.

This difficulty to swallow is serious. You need that part of you to be fully working. Just take it as a sign not to get much higher, or you'll get the the stage where you can't breathe properly too.

Can I just say how much I hate the urinary retention and difficulty swallowing?

I like to eat once I'm good and high, but I always have to keep a glass of juice or something next to me so that I can wash the food down whenever it gets a little stuck.

The urinary retention is terrible. I spend half my high trying to shake out a fucking drop's worth of pee.

A few times I feel asleep (nodded out for a few mins straight) while standing up taking a piss. One time I literally stood up for 4 hours straight, going back and forth between sitting and standing. Sitting apparently makes it easier to urinate. Even thought it sucks real bad I haven't got that high in a while so I would take that side effect for that high again.

At the moment my throat is a really dry, as is usually the case when using oc. I kinda lucked out after a thought occurred to me about an old stash...bingo! This will probably be the last old oc high I'll ever have, so the throat/swallowing issues are fine by me. I forgot how this feels...

Aren't Opiates great!!!

:\

Sorry if this is a weird question but I need to know :)

I've never seen a drug with more side effects and pretty much no value. Pain killer? Maybe for 1 in 50 people. Acedamidafin is really better inmho
God probably the worst thing to happen to us since cancer.

It's called esophageal dysphagia and it's cause is similar to the reason you get constipated on opioids. The opioids is binding to the mu opioid receptors in the esophagus (or bowels) and causing dismotility. Regarding the swallowing, it's a serious issue that does not remedy on it's own and does not improve over time or with tolerance to the opioids. Eventually, food will get completely stuck (particularly chicken, steak, bread, etc.) not allowing even liquids to pass and require an endoscopy to remove the food bollus. People on longer acting opioids like methadone and Buprenorphine ( Subutex/Suboxone) are more likely to experience this problem as the dose is higher and while you don't get the euphoric intoxicating effects anymore you do get all of the other effects like CNS depression. The fact that they are maintenance drugs so you can't just stop them is all the more reason to discuss a solution to this problem with your primary care provider. I can tell you from personal experience that this problem only gets worse and the only solutions are to stop taking any opioid, at which time the problem completely disappears, or discuss medications that may alleviate the issue with your doctor.

^ Not an only solution. Targin contains 2:1 ratio of oxycodone and naloxone and naloxone is used to saturate bowel and esophagual opiate receptors leading for example to no constipation and no diarrhea during withdrawals.

I thought the treatment of opioid pills with naloxone was to prevent non-parenteral ROAs? The naloxone doesn't absorb well from your GI tract, but would ruin a rush from IV/snort etc.

For most patients it is for constipation (as well as diarrhea upon cessation of drug) prevention as said in it's patent but of course it also prevents IV/Nasal use.

Your GI tract also has opioid receptors and naloxone rips off oxycodone from those if taken properly.