• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Different ways to take Suboxone sublingual strips

mblrose

Greenlighter
Hey all, first post. Haven’t been in here in a few years. I’ve been taking Suboxone sublingual strips (dr. Reddy brand) 12-3mg, taken sublingually once a day. Recently I’ve been upping it to 18mg. I know that’s a lot. I want a better way to take my Suboxone so I can catch a nod or feel better than my baseline. I just want to get High tbh and I have no means for anything better (moved to a new place.) all I have are these sub strips :( I’ve been on the same dose for a long time and it does nothing except keep me from WDs. I have experience with IV/nasal/smoking use, just not with strips... I’m wondering the best way to take it, and how to do it, so I don’t hurt myself lol. I guess this could’ve gone under ‘harm reduction’ as well.

and I know there will be people telling me just to take it as prescribed. I know that, but I wouldn’t be here if I wanted to do something different. I was trying to find a relevant/related post on here but have been having a hard time finding a thread.

I did find a thread about letting it dissolve in 30mg of water? And then holding that water under your tongue for 5 mins. Might try it idk, please help me here!

thanks so much

Hey man! Don't worry, no lectures here. I've talked to so many people in your same or a similar circumstance with their maintenance medication. Every one of us who have been dependent upon Opioids want to get high from time to time. I don't know if that is something we can ever actually outgrow. All I'm going to say is, I really don't want to see a fellow BL'er dig him or herself a hole that they will later regret and I feel this is the road you're trying to go down.

There was a bit of a typo in your original post, but I'm assuming your intention was to say that you typically take 2mg-3mg Buprenorphine sublingually as a typical venture? Buprenorphine has some complicated pharmacology and pharmacokinetics that make this whole thing more complicated than a simple "use more". Essentially, what we are all after is an agonist of the Mu Opioid Receptor. There are other receptors, but the majority of the positive feelings we desire from the use of Opioids are directly related to agonism of this specific receptor.

Buprenorphine is a more effective Mu agonist at lower dosages. The lower the better really. The positive/desired effects do not increase in a linear fashion the higher the dose goes. When you take dosages of more than just your typical 2mg-3mg, you begin experiencing stronger agonism of the other Opioid receptors i.e. Kappa; Delta, This isn't really what you want. So, with this in mind, I feel that the most practical solution is for you to experiment with an alternative Route of Administration that will provide you with a faster onset and, hopefully, that feeling you're after.

I'm a former injection Heroin user. I am a major proponent of rectal administration of drugs as a safer alternative to injection. It's a route of administration that typically (like with Buprenorphine) provides an increased bioavailability and a faster onset of effect. I really don't support injecting Buprenorphine strips as they have become notorious for the disproportionate amount of complications that they seem to cause. Smoking/vaporizing is not really practical here either in my opinion, but anyone else, feel free to chime in.

It's easy enough. Just obtain an oral syringe. They will give you a free one at the pharmacy if you say something like "I lost my dosing cup for blah, blah". Any oral syringe will do really, but the vatriety with a a pointed tip at the end, I've found, are best. Fill your syringe with water. They are typically 5ml or 10ml but the amount of vehicle here is really not super important. Dissolve your given dosage of Buprenorphine strip in the water. Mix thouroughly. Once you have a fairly uniform solution, it's recommended to lay either on your side or prone. The next part is fairly obvious. The syringe will go partially into your rectum, if it is the type of which I've mentioned here, you will insert only the tip and you will know when it is in. Slowly push the plunger until the solution is administered. Remove the syringe and stay prone for 10-15 minutes.

Here is a helpful link that will help you modify your dosage based upon Buprenorphine's differing bioavailabilities:

If this is a too long, didn't read situation, just know that Buprenorphine is generally absorbed ~10%-15% by the sublingual route and ~50% by the rectal route. I'm sure you can do the math. As the Buprenorphine strips are going to end up in a solution anyway, you can dose volumetrically. This means for instance:

Dissolve 8mg strip in 10ml of water so that each milliliter administered is about 0.8mg and so on. If any of this isn't clear just get back to us and we will help you out.

Hey man! Don't worry, no lectures here. I've talked to so many people in your same or a similar circumstance with their maintenance medication. Every one of us who have been dependent upon Opioids want to get high from time to time. I don't know if that is something we can ever actually outgrow. All I'm going to say is, I really don't want to see a fellow BL'er dig him or herself a hole that they will later regret and I feel this is the road you're trying to go down.

There was a bit of a typo in your original post, but I'm assuming your intention was to say that you typically take 2mg-3mg Buprenorphine sublingually as a typical venture? Buprenorphine has some complicated pharmacology and pharmacokinetics that make this whole thing more complicated than a simple "use more". Essentially, what we are all after is an agonist of the Mu Opioid Receptor. There are other receptors, but the majority of the positive feelings we desire from the use of Opioids are directly related to agonism of this specific receptor.

Buprenorphine is a more effective Mu agonist at lower dosages. The lower the better really. The positive/desired effects do not increase in a linear fashion the higher the dose goes. When you take dosages of more than just your typical 2mg-3mg, you begin experiencing stronger agonism of the other Opioid receptors i.e. Kappa; Delta, This isn't really what you want. So, with this in mind, I feel that the most practical solution is for you to experiment with an alternative Route of Administration that will provide you with a faster onset and, hopefully, that feeling you're after.

I'm a former injection Heroin user. I am a major proponent of rectal administration of drugs as a safer alternative to injection. It's a route of administration that typically (like with Buprenorphine) provides an increased bioavailability and a faster onset of effect. I really don't support injecting Buprenorphine strips as they have become notorious for the disproportionate amount of complications that they seem to cause. Smoking/vaporizing is not really practical here either in my opinion, but anyone else, feel free to chime in.

It's easy enough. Just obtain an oral syringe. They will give you a free one at the pharmacy if you say something like "I lost my dosing cup for blah, blah". Any oral syringe will do really, but the vatriety with a a pointed tip at the end, I've found, are best. Fill your syringe with water. They are typically 5ml or 10ml but the amount of vehicle here is really not super important. Dissolve your given dosage of Buprenorphine strip in the water. Mix thouroughly. Once you have a fairly uniform solution, it's recommended to lay either on your side or prone. The next part is fairly obvious. The syringe will go partially into your rectum, if it is the type of which I've mentioned here, you will insert only the tip and you will know when it is in. Slowly push the plunger until the solution is administered. Remove the syringe and stay prone for 10-15 minutes.

Here is a helpful link that will help you modify your dosage based upon Buprenorphine's differing bioavailabilities:

If this is a too long, didn't read situation, just know that Buprenorphine is generally absorbed ~10%-15% by the sublingual route and ~50% by the rectal route. I'm sure you can do the math. As the Buprenorphine strips are going to end up in a solution anyway, you can dose volumetrically. This means for instance:

Dissolve 8mg strip in 10ml of water so that each milliliter administered is about 0.8mg and so on. If any of this isn't clear just get back to us and we will help you out.
Hello! Thanks for your response. It was not a typo, but maybe I should’ve been more clear. I take 12mg daily. The 12-3 meant 12mg bup with 3mg naloxone. But I have been self increasing to 18mg of bup daily. Sorry for the confusion but as you can see, I have a very high tolerance obviously. So dosing for different intake methods may be tricky for me

Do you know the bioavailability of intranasal buprenorphine?
I took only sublingually for years and recently switched to intranasal, as the tablets were more cost efficient, yet seemed to absorb terribly in the mouth. I wonder if I jacked my tolerance up even more from using this ROA.

Do you know the bioavailability of intranasal buprenorphine?
I took only sublingually for years and recently switched to intranasal, as the tablets were more cost efficient, yet seemed to absorb terribly in the mouth. I wonder if I jacked my tolerance up even more from using this ROA.

Quoting you... QUOTING MYSELF?! Trippy brah. The intranasal bioavailability of Buprenorphine is typically stated as being around ~40% with peak blood levels at approximately 35-45 minutes.

Is it just me or do you guys find Dr.Reddy's to be so... blah. When I used to take other brands I would get a slight high feeling when I went over the 16mg dose from time to time (I'm on 12mg but take 16mg every now and then). I feel like I can only find Dr. Reddy's for about the last two years, and I don't think I've felt ANYTHING since I've started with this brand. I've been on Suboxone for over a decade, so maybe it's just my tolerance, but even up until about 2yrs ago I could get myself high with a large dose. Gone are the days...

Ive shot xone strips without filtering. Oof, they have paper and other shit in them. I filter every thing nowadays. Sublingual is the Best for xone. Tex is 1.5 times the strength though.

You're probably not gonna get high on these. Unless you get down to 1 or 2mg a day and have a day or 2 or then take 2mg.

Your receptors ate already too used to the non euphoric bupe where you want to be able to leave room on opiate receptors for norbupe

Hey all, first post. Haven’t been in here in a few years. I’ve been taking Suboxone sublingual strips (dr. Reddy brand) 12-3mg, taken sublingually once a day. Recently I’ve been upping it to 18mg. I know that’s a lot. I want a better way to take my Suboxone so I can catch a nod or feel better than my baseline. I just want to get High tbh and I have no means for anything better (moved to a new place.) all I have are these sub strips :( I’ve been on the same dose for a long time and it does nothing except keep me from WDs. I have experience with IV/nasal/smoking use, just not with strips... I’m wondering the best way to take it, and how to do it, so I don’t hurt myself lol. I guess this could’ve gone under ‘harm reduction’ as well.

and I know there will be people telling me just to take it as prescribed. I know that, but I wouldn’t be here if I wanted to do something different. I was trying to find a relevant/related post on here but have been having a hard time finding a thread.

I did find a thread about letting it dissolve in 30mg of water? And then holding that water under your tongue for 5 mins. Might try it idk, please help me here!

thanks so much
I just started taking Bupe 150MCG, I have CRPS Type 1. My doctor for the last three years (who normally prescribed my meds) decided to leave her practice so I was without a doctor or meds since March. I finally got into the VA Pain Management Clinic and they are starting with the Bupe because you know the government doesn’t like to provide opioids. I noticed if I put it against my cheek I get chills and get all achy like I’m coming down with something. I feel a lot better when I put it under my tongue with a couple drops of water.

I just started taking Bupe 150MCG, I have CRPS Type 1. My doctor for the last three years (who normally prescribed my meds) decided to leave her practice so I was without a doctor or meds since March. I finally got into the VA Pain Management Clinic and they are starting with the Bupe because you know the government doesn’t like to provide opioids. I noticed if I put it against my cheek I get chills and get all achy like I’m coming down with something. I feel a lot better when I put it under my tongue with a couple drops of water.
The other issue is, I was on 10/325mg of Oxycodone 3x Day, and 10mg of OxyContin ER 2x Day. So I’m not sure if the 150MCG of Bupe is enough?