Different Doctors Prescribing Medications

kevz

Bluelighter
I was recently put on Vyvanse (the "new" adderall) for 30 days as a trial to help me get motivated. My psychiatrist said that if after 30 days I wanted to continue it she would have to take away my Klonopin prescription which is prescribed for my social anxiety. Her explanation is because the two are opposites and contradict each other. I want to continue using both medications because thus far I feel each plays their part in helping with my conditions. The Vyvanse gets me motivated and ready to go, but if I go out I still have social anxiety and thats when my Klonopin comes in handy. Basically, my question is, is it illegal to visit two different doctors and get two different medications if I get one of my medications taken away?

I'm not sure of the legalities, but ethically, the "new" doctor would request records of all other doctors you have seen in the,say, last 5 years.

He/she would also inquire about the current medications you are taking and make up his/her decision as to whether or not the clonazepam should be withheld.

But what you would be doing is technically "doctor shopping," i.e., approaching multiple doctors for the purpose of drug seeking, which may or may not catch up with you later, especially if you start lying about meds you are taking or conditions you do or do not suffer from.

I guess my best option is to just consult with my regular psychiatrist and be up front. I forgot about all the records that they would request and you're right, if my doctor is taking me off of it there is probably good reason to do so. Thanks for your input.

Well you could always push your case with the current doctor.

For example, tell her you want the Vyvanse for the daytime and clonazepam or alprazolam to get to sleep at night. Maybe you could work out a 2x per week thing with the benzos (as I did with my doc--10 x 2mg/month) so you don't get hooked. I would imagine that the Vyvanse itself is moderately addictive in itself.

not all doctors require your previous records. that was my experience at least.... when i moved from FL to Chi town i got new insurance & all that shit, found a dr. to get off of H. However, after he wrote me a script for 30 rits & i told him that i needed adderall, he wouldn't prescribe any kind of instant release stimulant for my ADD (he didn't ask for any records btw) because he said it seemed like i had an addictive personality ... for opiates yes, for ADD medicine not quite.

So i went to my new PCP in a new city & i told her i just moved here & that i was prescribed adderall in HS & thru college & that i needed it again to get me thru long work days. She asked me what my symptoms were, how much i was taking before & after about 20 mins. wrote me a script for 20mg IR addys. (she too did not ask for any records or anything)

my .02

not all doctors require your previous records. that was my experience at least.... when i moved from FL to Chi town i got new insurance & all that shit, found a dr. to get off of H. However, after he wrote me a script for 30 rits & i told him that i needed adderall, he wouldn't prescribe any kind of instant release stimulant for my ADD (he didn't ask for any records btw) because he said it seemed like i had an addictive personality ... for opiates yes, for ADD medicine not quite.

So i went to my new PCP in a new city & i told her i just moved here & that i was prescribed adderall in HS & thru college & that i needed it again to get me thru long work days. She asked me what my symptoms were, how much i was taking before & after about 20 mins. wrote me a script for 20mg IR addys. (she too did not ask for any records or anything)

my .02

Sloppy doctors are everywhere.

^ Ooh yeah. Anyone who thinks all doctors are high quality professionals is in for a ugly wakeup when something really goes wrong. The dude I shadowed is liberal with the scheduled substances. (I consider 'three strikes you're out' fairly liberal.) But he also has a shabby office with 10x more books on fly fishing than medicine.

If I go through with opening a private cheapo cash-upfront no-insurance doctor's office, where people have the option of visiting anonymously, I think I'm going to post in big letters in the waiting room, 'This establishment does not issue prescriptions for controlled substances.' Prolly keep the DEA off my shoulder, as well as the doctor shoppers.

Klonopin is a great drug to get addicted to and IMHO, as a physician in recovery, is very overprescribed, at least in the nyc area. I think what ur doctor is trying to do is in ur best interest. I dont think klonopin is the best choice for social anxiety. I dont know if you have ever been tried on an antidepressant, SSRI, some of which have been shown to work well in social anxiety. But, there might be a good reason why this was never tried...that I dont know.
Also, the SSRI type meds and their close relatives, the dual action norepi active drugs [effexor, cybalta] can be very difficult to stop...they have a withdrawl syndrome.

I have been on effexor for about 8 years and slowly stopped the med several months ago. I did it slow enough to avoid withdrawl, but just felt like crap off effexor. The feeling like crap became clearly a return of depression symptoms. I was started on cymbalta, since it has less sexual side effects[yup, getting older changes stuff!!!] I was feeling better in a week and the cymbalta had a remarkable effect on the "pain" of a really annoying pinched nerve i have. It is known to help treat pinched nerves

I have done heaps of shit like that with doctors and its never gotten me in trouble. After all, who knows your body like you do??. I would just do what your thinking and play dumb if anything ever comes of it.

^^^^ Well it's important to keep in mind the difference between "knowing your body" and drug seeking for the purpose of misusing abusable medications for their euphoric effects. Attempting to obtain these types of drugs by seeing multiple doctors for the purpose of taking them in ways other than prescribed is a definite no-no and can possibly get you in trouble.