• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Differences Between All The Benzos

Status
Not open for further replies.

llama112

Bluelight Crew
I have anxiety, I use benzos, I use benzos too much, specifically clonazepam. I choose clonazepam because it has a subtle effect and lasts long enough but also helps me enough socially. It lasts a long enough time that I don't have to redose much in the day and it also effects me pretty much right away when I take it.
There are just so many types of benzos and, besides the length of time they last and how subtle they are, I don't completely understand the difference. I also probably don't know EVERY type of benzo.

For example, I know (am fairly certain of, I do consider myself fairly knowledgeable about benzos but I'm not a medical professional so correct me if I'm wrong):
diazepam - very long lasting but doesn't hit you right away, is very subtle
lorazepam - used for sleeping (I'm not sure why and I'm not sure other effects of it, I don't think I've ever tried it)
clonazepam - people with extreme anxiety go through clonazepam treatment so there must be a reason for it; it acts quickly, it's subtle, and it lasts a decent amount of time (but not as long as diazepam)
alprazolam - last a shorter amount of time but hits you right away and you can feel it and seems to be best for panic attacks

Then there is etizolam which is just... different.... and I know there are a ton more but those seem to be the common ones. I guess I'm not sure what's best for what etc.

I've only had experience with diazepam, temazepam, clonazepam and alprazolam.

Been experiencing long term mental health issues regarding severe anxiety, agoraphobia and panic attacks. Subjective opinions of course but alprazolam definitely works most effectively for me though it's something you don't want to get hooked on.

Temazepam was surprisingly causing anxiety, Clonazepam had no anti anxiety/panic attack properties that I noticed, I was only using it to get proper unbroken sleeps and get a good REM sleep in.

Wasn't a huge fan of clonazepam because it was extremely sedative and the after effects/hangover would keep me drowsy throughout the next day. Just felt extremely sedated and I didn't like it.

Diazepam is the best benzodiazepine to taper off other benzo's with because of it's extremely long half life of up to 100 hours if my memory serves me correctly. I used it to taper off alprazolam as the half life elimination was too aggressive and I couldn't manage to taper off lower than 3 bars a week/fortnight.

I don't regret taking alprazolam I just regret using it when I didn't really need it. It gave me energy and motivated to go out, Perform everyday tasks throughout the day and interact with strangers. I felt like a normal person and the relief was fantastic. Some of the side effects I was experiencing was the inability to reach climax which was unusual. I would just last for hours which was nice but frustrating at the same time. Short term memory loss was another side effect I experienced but everything other than that was positive.

Ended up getting down to 3 bars and couldn't taper off any lower.

Even lowering my dosage by 1/4-1/2 bar felt too much and the withdrawal symptoms were near unbearable. I ended up being hospitalised as a result of nearly having multiple seizures. Had to have a full blood examination and ECG performed.

Thankfully everything came back perfect.

Etizolam isn't a benzodiazepine and can be fatal when mixed with benzodiazepines so tread carefully.

Hope this helps.

Well different benzos have different profiles but usually they are categorized by anxiolytical, hypnotic, muscle relaxing and anticonvulsive properties and here is a picture for some of the most common benzos and how they work:

24ltuds.jpg

Valium has a rapid onset, and an intermediate duration of action-

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience:

Valium/Diazepam: Fairly mild, not great for acute "panic attacks", but very effective for long-acting anxiety relief. Lasts a long time, is fairly mild and is generally fairly safe to drive under, etc - although always be careful.

Oxazepam: One of my favourites, a bit stronger than diaz and has a slight 'recreational' tinge to it, if you so indulge. Definitely has more pronounced affect on memory; memory loss is common. Helps for generalised anxiety, sleep-disorders and panic-attacks.

Xanax/Alprazolam: Xanax is a classic-favourite. Defintiely the strongest of all the benzos I've tried. Most recreational too (Xanax + H + Alcohol will always find a home with me). I think it's a fairly useless "daily" drug to be on for clinical reasons. However, I think it's easily the most effective for treating acute panic attacks - as if taken non-daily, but just as needed, it can be extremely effective.

Temazepam: Great for falling asleep!

Mogodon(?): Not a whole lot of experience, but seems good for getting to sleep, too.

That's off top of my head anyway.

I am pulling this one.

Main differences are mostly subjective, due to many factors. The guys the neuroscience forum can explain.

Find a benzodiazepine mega thread. That is mostly subjective, but covers basics.

Closed.

Well different benzos have different profiles but usually they are categorized by anxiolytical, hypnotic, muscle relaxing and anticonvulsive properties and here is a picture for some of the most common benzos and how they work:

24ltuds.jpg

This explains it in a Harm Reduction sense. The words are easy to understand

Status
Not open for further replies.