• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Difference between Effexor and Tramadol

Speed King

Bluelighter
I was reading that the drugs are similar.
The o- desmethyl part is the same for both drugs metabolites, if that matters.

Just noticed similar thread.

So far combining Effexor with Dexedrine has been pretty smooth. On paper at lower dosages, the Effexor seems to be predominantly a serotonin reuptake inhibitor,

Last edited:
Tramadol is a serotonin-noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) and mild opioid whose major metabolite is a noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor (i.e. barely any serotonergic action) and a moderately powerful opioid.

Venlafaxine is an SNRI (with relatively little affinity for NET), whose major metabolite is also an SNRI; neither have any appreciable opioid action.

The comparison between the structures of tramadol and venlafaxine is mostly brought up to illustrate why tramadol inhibits the reuptake of serotonin and noradrenaline, while morphinan-Type opioids generally don't.

I take 55 mg of adderall with 225 mg of effexor. Seems pretty smooth. But then again maybe im just less sensative aand dont notice.

I think effexor has some delta and or kappa opioid receptor activity. Could be wrong vaguely remember reading it .

I take 55 mg of adderall with 225 mg of effexor. Seems pretty smooth. But then again maybe im just less sensative aand dont notice.

I think effexor has some delta and or kappa opioid receptor activity. Could be wrong vaguely remember reading it .

I read that it had mu delta & kappa on the wiki page. Also stated the NRI effects come on >100 mg or 150mg.

I don't agree with that part. I was feeling the NRI effects at 37.5 IR tabs.

I am getting used to it at 75 mg. It's side effect profile is shitty. I don't know if you have any side effects, but one night my BP hit 175/110. Fuck that noise. Not to OT, but personally considering switching to a ssri like Paxil or something similar.

Whats your bp without effexor?

On prescription dextroamphetamine which I am always on, 120/80. If I am in pain might creep up to 140/90.

Also for the record, when I hit the I believe was exactly 173/110, I was in the midst of a 9 day break from amphetamine. It was not even a contributing factor.

Last edited:
For me, there was a significant difference between venlafaxine and more selective NRI's, even on 300mg.
Reboxetine (a selective NRI) and milnacipran (pretty much the SNRI with the strongest NET inhibition) gave me testicular pain, while even high-dose venlafaxine didn't, so I'm going to go along with wikipedia and say that at low doses, the NET-inhibitory effects of venlafaxine probably aren't clinically significant for the average patient, though there are always exceptions.

Maybe your BP spike was simply the result of a sudden anxiety attack, followed by nocebo-induced anxiety?
That said, it is perfectly understandable if you're not willing to take that risk, and switch to a non-noradrenergic antidepressant.

For me, there was a significant difference between venlafaxine and more selective NRI's, even on 300mg.
Reboxetine (a selective NRI) and milnacipran (pretty much the SNRI with the strongest NET inhibition) gave me testicular pain, while even high-dose venlafaxine didn't, so I'm going to go along with wikipedia and say that at low doses, the NET-inhibitory effects of venlafaxine probably aren't clinically significant for the average patient, though there are always exceptions.

Maybe your BP spike was simply the result of a sudden anxiety attack, followed by nocebo-induced anxiety?
That said, it is perfectly understandable if you're not willing to take that risk, and switch to a non-noradrenergic antidepressant.

Thanks for the info on the other drugs that are related. From what I understand so far, I started the medication during an amphetamine break. I'll tell you, over 10 days I didnt experience an amphetamine crash from average 40 mg IR dextroamphetamine. It made sense to start it clean to be able to pinpoint side effects.

Having a brain hard wired for clean amps, then introducing this medication may have contributed to the side effects.

After the stupid high 173/110 bp, the next day bp was normal. I will chalk that up to psychosomatic effects. It altered my thinking for sure. Not a classic panic attack, just I was in a bad mood and stresed out. The nurse aid looked at me funny when the BP monitor started chiming like a slot machine.

When I finally had a chance, I added 20 mg total of IR dextroamphetamine to the mix, 10 mg at a time. Felt like I was on a few points of MDXX.
The combo definately charges me up. I need to get BP checked if I am going to keep this combination. I am not stopping the d-amp.

This dosage straightened me out. I don't plan on going past 75 mg.

By the time I see my doctor I will have been on the medication approx 21 days. If I decide to switch to a non-noradrenergic medication, would there be a long peroid of tapering before the switch to a regular ssri? I checked the medications and I haven't done enough research as to what I would switch to. Probably a standard SSRI, but will research other medications as well.

I won't hi-jack this thread to discuss options unless we are taliking in a binding affinity way. If thats the case, then I'll keep posting here. I am interested in the deep parts of the antidepressant instead of brand names.

Side effect profile is pretty important.

"Venlafaxine
Binding Sites[64] IC50(nM)
SERT 27
NET 535

Desvenlafaxine
Transporter Ki[nM][7]
SERT 61.4
NET 2953

Venlafaxine metabolities 70% to desvenlafaxine" (wiki)

* I would double check numbers had trouble with using links referenced on phone.

"Venlafaxine
Binding Sites[64] IC50(nM)
SERT 27
NET 535

Desvenlafaxine
Transporter Ki[nM][7]
SERT 61.4
NET 2953

Venlafaxine metabolities 70% to desvenlafaxine" (wiki)

* I would double check numbers had trouble with using links referenced on phone.

I will tanks . I read those numbers also.

I think I am going over to reg SSRI.

I don?t need the NRI effects. The serotonin binding was satisfactory.

What i dont understand is how much does effexor really inhibit the NET when compared to drugs like atomoxetine reboxetine its Ki value is very weak

Edit
Atomoxetine (and metabolites)[20]
Site ATX 4-OH-ATX N-DM-ATX
SERT 77 43 ND
NET 5 3 92
(Wiki)

Reboxetine[29][30]
Site Ki (nM)
SERT 273.5
NET 13.4
(Wiki)

What i dont understand is how much does effexor really inhibit the NET when compared to drugs like atomoxetine reboxetine its Ki value is very weak

Edit
Atomoxetine (and metabolites)[20]
Site ATX 4-OH-ATX N-DM-ATX
SERT 77 43 ND
NET 5 3 92
(Wiki)

Reboxetine[29][30]
Site Ki (nM)
SERT 273.5
NET 13.4
(Wiki)

So far I have gained way too much weight taking Venlafaxine SERT level is too high or something. I gained a ferocious appetite.

However, not to go too OT, but depending on when I take my first dose of Dexedrine, I do not desire to eat uncontrollably and the AD runs on top of it, if that makes sense.

I guess it?s time to do some binding site research.

I am still on fence/giving a chance, to the Effexor.

Clamps down on a lot of things also.