• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Diets ~ Honestly how do i loose weight?

if you crave sweets alot, keep lollipops and some hard candy on hand
there are many hard-candies (or lollies here in aus :) ) that are sugar-free... great option if u like those things..
unfortunately, the same doesnt go for the soft squishy ones.. someone should really invent those ;)

unfortunately, the same doesnt go for the soft squishy ones.. someone should really invent those
In AU there are Jols Pastilles which are artificially sweetened. They come in boxes about twice the size of a match box. They are pretty chewy and come in a few flavours. I'd steer clear of 'strawberry & mint'.. ugh! :)
What we do have a distinct lack of in Australia is cinnamon flavoured candy and gum. Mmmm. Personally, I'm addicted to cinnamon gum but at AU $40 to ship a few boxes over, it is pretty pricey. :)

Originally posted by DancinXTCangel:

~When I'm on a diet* I eat no more than 1500 calories a day (1200 on days I don't go to the gym) and as little fat as possible. A typical day

The amount of calories you should eat per day to lose weight will vary wildly depending on your current bodyweight. Eating too little can hurt your weight loss even more than eating too much. (your body thinks you are starving and stops trying to build muscle and tries to store as much fat as possible so you don't starve to death)
Along those lines eating too little fat will also make it difficult to lose weight, as well as just being generally very bad for health. A number of vitamins require fat to be transported around the body, and if you are a guy too little fat can lower your libido. This isn't permission to eat pizza every day -- just a reminder to have SOME fat in your diet. Salmon is a good source, so is flax seed.

In AU there are Jols Pastilles which are artificially sweetened. They come in boxes about twice the size of a match box. They are pretty chewy and come in a few flavours. I'd steer clear of 'strawberry & mint'.. ugh!
OH YEAH! Forgot about those- you're right about Strawberry + Mint = EWWWW!
Manadrin is nice though :)
Marshmallows are also good for a sweet fix but obviously packed with sugar so don't get sucked in by the "Fat Free" label..

Here's what I know from my days as a wrestler, and my food science classes in college, and various fitness books.
You should not try and lose more than 1-2 lbs per week. Otherwise you'll be canabalizing muscle tissue, or just losing water weight.
Diet:
A diet high in protein low in fat, prefering whole foods over processed foods. You don't need to starve yourself. Not at all. If you eat good foods there will be no need to count calories and other anal retentive things that take up way to much time and effort. Basically, you should be shooting for 0 grams of fat per day. This is, of course, impossible. But, if that's your goal you should hit about what you need. So, you need to go ahead and cross off the following food items from your diet:
Fast foods
Butter
peanutbutter
candies and sweets
chips
fried food
sausage
bacon
well... that's a start.
You can still eat the above foods. But, you should limit yourself to the above to once, maybe twice a week. Also, make sure you drink lot's of water. Several glasses a day.
Exercise:
Aerobic exercise is the best way to boost your metabolism. Three aerobic workouts at thirty minutes each should suffice. You can always do more, and weight training too can be beneficial for losing weight.
Well... there's my 2 cents.

i think it's important to reward yourself everyday. my diet consists of mostly fruits and veggies, and i am a huge junkfood person. everyday i give myself one small reward, like one cookie, or a small handful of doritoes.

also find out what your week points are, and prep yourself for them. the hardest times for me to stick to my diets are the weekends, and at nite when i come home from work, so what i try to do is arrange activities way ahead of time, that does not involve eating. i have alot of advice, so as i think of it i will post...i was overweight at one time, and now i watch my wieght very closely.