• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Did my doc screw me with my pain management?

BK38

Bluelight Crew
As the title says, did my doc screw me? I was looking for stronger pain meds for breakthrough pain with my shoulder.

I was previously prescribed 30mg codeine/500mg acetaminophen x 4 per day. Total 120mg codeine per day.

They have now prescribed me "Izalgi," which is 25mg opium powder/500mg acetaminophen x 6 per day. Total 150mg opium powder per day.

Codeine script has been stopped.

When I looked at morphine equivalents, I am getting 20mg morphine per day with the codeine and only 15mg morphine per day with this new med.

At a glance it looks like I'm scripted 25% less morphine equivalent...which pisses me off. I'm feeling a bit frantic and hope I've messed up somewhere and these new meds are stronger.

I can collect my script tmrw, but someone please tell me my doc didn't screw me?

120mg codeine should be ~12mg morphine or less. Looks like he bumped you up a few morphine equivalents.

If it was me I'd be happier with opium powder.

Poor codeine metabolizers - 5%
Regular (most people) - 10%
Exceptional metabolizers (rare) - 15%

(amount of codeine metabolized in vivo into morphine)

So even if you were one of the rare super metabolizers, 120mg codeine would be equivalent to 18mg of morphine.

The opium is an upgrade :)

it probably gives a better buzz, too

Poor codeine metabolizers - 5%
Regular (most people) - 10%
Exceptional metabolizers (rare) - 15%

(amount of codeine metabolized in vivo into morphine)

So even if you were one of the rare super metabolizers, 120mg codeine would be equivalent to 18mg of morphine.

The opium is an upgrade :)

it probably gives a better buzz, too
Phew, I really hope you're right. I thought I got duped by the doc into downgrading pain med wise. I still have 3 x 16 30mg codeine/500mg acetaminophen left and like 100g Kratom powder.