• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Did I get the right DXM?

shotgunfacelift

Greenlighter
I bought 4 oz (1 bottle) of CVS Long-Lasting Non-Drowsy Tussin. On the active ingredients list, it says "Dextromethorphan HBr, USP 30 mg," and that's the only active ingredient on there. Is this safe to take? Did I get the right one? I'm sort of confused as to what HBr and USP mean, so before I try this, I need to know if it's ok to drink. It doesn't have any guaifenesin in it, as I heard it makes you puke like crazy, and I really don't want to overdose.
Thanks in advance!

Yes its fine. Hbr is hydrobromide, the salt. USP stands for United States Pharmacopeia, a compendium of various drugs and chemicals that sort of certifies their purity, strength etc.

Are just trying to get high on dxm, or are you potentiating something?

-7nos

Yes, it's the same for gelcaps. Robitussin (and common pharmacy brands as well) manufacture bottles containing 20 gels that each have 15mg of DXM HBr.

I have yet to come across actual tablets that are DXM only, you know, not the gels. Some people like to indulge with Coricidin, but that also contains Chlorpheniramine Maleate which is very dangerous when combined with DXM.

Now, you may have come across Delsym, which has DXM Polistirex instead of DXM Hydrobromide. Some people prefer this version because it's basically DXM extended-release. Delsym trips can be lengthy and confusing. It's all about preference, but IMO, HBr is the way to go.