Did anyone recover from risperdal consta

ComezWithARisk

Greenlighter
I have been on this injection for 16 months.Tapered to the lowest dose 12.5 .took 12.5 only 2 times as recommended by the psychiatrist.she said she will give be 0.5 pills if i get withdrawal symptoms.Has anyone have had any success successfully withdrawaling from this injection?

I have been on this injection for 16 months.Tapered to the lowest dose 12.5 .took 12.5 only 2 times as recommended by the psychiatrist.she said she will give be 0.5 pills if i get withdrawal symptoms.Has anyone have had any success successfully withdrawaling from this injection?
Hey there, welcome to Bluelight. I took Risperdal Consta injections when I was in the state hospital under CTO 17 years ago. However, I only had 2 or 3 shots (don't remember if it was 2 or 3). Still, those few injections I had fucked me up for like 6 months even after I stopped them. When I was released from the hospital, my doctor on the outside told me I didn't have to take the shots anymore and put me on Risperdal pills. I think 6 months later, I quit the pills cold turkey and eventually went for a hell of a ride back into psychosis and mania for a almost a year. Not long after I got back home, the docs put me on Abilify pills and I've been on them ever since, nearly 15 years.

I have since learned that Risperdal metabolizes into Invega in the liver, so if you've read the Invega threads, you will see some of the same side effects and withdrawal symptoms. That said, as bad as Risperdal was, I still don't think it's quite as bad as Invega. Of course, we are all different and we all react differently to each medication. Some people recover from Invega injections within a few months to less than a year. It takes much longer for others. The same can probably be said for Risperdal injections. On the other hand, while on Abilify in pill form, I've had almost no side effects at all. Maybe a little blunted emotion but I kinda think that's a good thing as I don't get as worked up over how shitty things are in the world right now.

I think it's great you are finally able to stop taking the shots. Keep the pills handy in case the psychosis returns. Or maybe ask your doc if there are any different meds you can try that aren't as powerful as Risperdal.

Did you stop the risperdal shots once you got out of the hospital or they put you on pills right after.what mg were you on?

Did you stop the risperdal shots once you got out of the hospital or they put you on pills right after.what mg were you on?
Yes, my first doctor's appointment after leaving the hospital he told me I didn't have to get anymore shots. He put me on the pills though I don't remember the mg of the pills and I don't think they even told me the mg of the shots in the hospital. All this took place like 18 years ago so my memory is foggy.