• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Diazepam

manji

Bluelighter
Some input please. I went to Clouds to come off alcohol in 1992 very successful never touched the stuff since since then I’ve had an on and off battle with Diazepam/ Codiene. Had two more rehabs which failed. Been to hundreds of NA meetings .
Anyway I’m currently self detoxing from both dropped both down to 30mg diazepam and 30mg Codiene. I fear the Codiene more.
I’ve decided to leave the Diazepam at that level and concentrate on the Codiene. Get that to zero. A couple of years ago I would have laughed at the relative low doses but they are fucking me up.
Any suggestions on the level ( in stages ) I should taper the Codiene down to.
Amazing to think I cold turkeyed a long period of approx 600mg diazepam a day and was successful. I was younger then reckon it would kill me now.

definitely be super fucking careful about the benzo withdrawal. that shit is dangerous as shit and will fucking kill you. i think its probably a wise idea to fuck with that after you tackle the codiene, like you say you are going to. as for tapering off the codiene, i would suggest probably reducing your dose down ten mils at a time, staying at each dose for like...3 days maybe? so from 30 to 20, stay at 20 for a couple of days, 10 for a few days, then start dropping the dose by half. 5mg, 2.5mg and youre fucking done. you could probably drag the last part of this out a few days longer if that makes it a bit more comfortable but in all honesty just get the fuck off of it if thats what youre trying to do. it sucks but it aint like that forever. you got this. this is not advice backed by anything other than my subjective opinion, based in my experience with both of those substances. to be clear, im no doctor. i fancy myself pretty goddamn experienced with both of those substances and tapering off meds as well. the codiene might suck when you finally drop it, but know that the benzos are gonna be way, way fucking worse. thats a whole other thing.

Thanks for the answers. As I said it’s the codiene I want rid off. From my experience with diazepam I could function reasonably well on a low dosage 20mg ?

I find it weird Codiene isn’t taken seriously.
No disrespect intended, but I really don't see the codeine as a big issue. The benzos cause long term damage to your brain, increase your risk of dementia. The kick from the benzo is dangerous. The codeine is not ideal but you could kick that cold turkey with no danger, just discomfort. Just my thoughts. If you want rid of the codeine prepare for an uncomfortable week or so, but cold turkey it. You can't cold turkey the benzo.
yeah the dropping of the Codiene is unpleasant. The only real issue is it irritates the stomach. I think I’m going to do a relatively fast taper of the codiene and then a relatively slow benzo detox. I can’t get 2mg benzos so what I will do is shave them down with a nail file.

Oh yeah I was told by a drug consultant that Paracetamol is a hugely effective but can’t harm. I remember there was a myth of people overdosing on paracetamol. That’s impossible.

Oh oh no, bullshit! Too much paracetamol kills your liver! Its worse than the codeine for your health! It REALLY hurts you. If you filter the codeine you will be ok. I wont go into how to, Im sure someone has written how to on here. If not and Im still around Ill help. You need to be filtering the codeine otherwise you are doing SO much damage! Sorry. Im leaving bluelight so wont be around. Hopefully someone else will help.
ill pick this up. hes right, that shit is bad news for your liver. you wanna get rid of that shit. without having taken a moment to go and look for reference to be absolutely sure (keep that in mind), im almost certain you can remove the paracetamol by doing whats called a cold water extraction. it goes like this- crush the tablets, put in clean, cold glass of water, let it sit for a while- a few hours im sure, overnight is probably better (im guessing), then strain through a coffee filter. codiene is extracted into the water and can be drunk, the bullshit gets left behind. simple shit. your liver is your friend. take care of that shit. search for CWE or cold water extraction. youll find the method proper.

Some input please. I went to Clouds to come off alcohol in 1992 very successful never touched the stuff since since then I’ve had an on and off battle with Diazepam/ Codiene. Had two more rehabs which failed. Been to hundreds of NA meetings .
Anyway I’m currently self detoxing from both dropped both down to 30mg diazepam and 30mg Codiene. I fear the Codiene more.
I’ve decided to leave the Diazepam at that level and concentrate on the Codiene. Get that to zero. A couple of years ago I would have laughed at the relative low doses but they are fucking me up.
Any suggestions on the level ( in stages ) I should taper the Codiene down to.
Amazing to think I cold turkeyed a long period of approx 600mg diazepam a day and was successful. I was younger then reckon it would kill me now.
Ashton
Manual Dr. Heather Ashton has created multiple tapers for people to follow. It may take you 6 months to a year to taper off 30 mg.

When I got sober from alcohol in 2012 I was on 2 mg Klonopin and 15 mg of Valium three times a day to prevent withdrawal. It took me 3 years to taper completely off. I didn't have any withdrawal.

Oh yeah I was told by a drug consultant that Paracetamol is a hugely effective but can’t harm. I remember there was a myth of people overdosing on paracetamol. That’s impossible.
Absolutely wrong, paracetamol can kill you no problem, it is very toxic for the liver.
Never more than 1 gran per dose at the absolute maximun.
Never more than 3 grams a day.
Always 8 hours between doses.
Not observing those rules can lead to permanent damage or dead, but even observing them such regime is not advisable for a long time.

Others have told you: your problem is not codeine, it is diazepam. I honestly see no point in tapering 30 mgs codeine, you only would be prolonging the very mild disconfort you may have. I am not despising said disconfort since it's not me who will endure it, but it means the absolute minimum amount of suffering you can expect from an opi wds, while quitting 30 mgs diazepam is another whole story

Sure, give yourself some peace and stay on those 15mgs. Slowly and easy is the way to go here, time is the door and patience is the key, it will eventually work.
You are doing great and you will be ok.

Down to 15mg diazepam no codiene of course. Only backlash from benzo drop is I’m getting sweaty. Gonna stick on 15mg for a while.
I do appreciate all the comments keeps me on my toes.
You are dropping way too fast my man. There is no reason for you to try and drop so quickly. There are many reasons for you not to drop so quickly.

You should go back up to 25 mg a day 10 in the morning 5 in the afternoon 10 in the evening, for a good two weeks. Then drop to 20 for a good two weeks. 5 in the morning 5 in the afternoon 10 at night. Then see how you're feeling and maybe move down to 15 mg a day, 5 mg three times a day.

Sweating is not an insignificant withdrawal symptom.

That way your body will adjust gradually and you will minimize any withdrawal symptoms.

You are dropping way too fast my man. There is no reason for you to try and drop so quickly. There are many reasons for you not to drop so quickly.

You should go back up to 25 mg a day 10 in the morning 5 in the afternoon 10 in the evening, for a good two weeks. Then drop to 20 for a good two weeks. 5 in the morning 5 in the afternoon 10 at night. Then see how you're feeling and maybe move down to 15 mg a day, 5 mg three times a day.

Sweating is not an insignificant withdrawal symptom.

That way your body will adjust gradually and you will minimize any withdrawal symptoms.
I appreciate your concern. I was worried how I would feel this morning. OK. Although I’m aware if there are any effects it takes a couple of days.
As you know people react differently. I know what I’m like if I go back up I will be bouncing back up and down on dosage for ever.

Still on 15mg Diazepam. No Codiene for a while. The only reaction is I sleep well at night but get tired during the day. I’ve had two rehab detoxes before didn’t get this. I suppose they were micro managed and they had access to 2mg as I remember I was dropping 2mg a week you didn’t notice and I’m older as well.🫣

Not eating as much as I used to. My belly has gone. Frankly I think I am looking good the bleary eyed look has gone.
My eating may be down but I eat decent stuff Granary bread , regular fruit. Plenty of fluids. Interestingly my physio was saying I need to up my calories.
Health industry make out calories are bad for you but obviously you need them for energy.
Slightly off tangent but I’ve learnt what a lot of nonsense we are fed by the health industry. Thinks like ridiculously expensive detox drinks.
You don’t need them that’s what your kidneys and liver do.