• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Diazepam (Valium) made less effective by omeprazole and/or Prozac?

Idontwanttobeok

Greenlighter
Is Valium/diazepam made weaker if you are taking Prilosec/Omeprazole and/or Prozac since it blocks its metabolism in the more active metabolites due to blocking P450 enzymes? I know hydrocodone was found to be less effective with Prozac due to the inhibition of its metabolism into the more potent metabolite hydromorphone? Even anecdotal evidence on this is hard to find.

I'm not 100 percent sure about this. I've used plenty of benzos while on SSRIs and SNRIs and didn't notice anything. They say grapefruit products also interact with benzos but again, I didn't notice anything. I think the only thing that would have a significant impact would be prescription monoamine oxidase inhibitors.

Fresh squeezed white grapefruit juice does noticeably increase the potency of alprazolam. Bottled and/or red grapefruit juice is useless IME. The biggest problem with using WGJ is that it takes a considerable amount and it's just so sour. Instant heartburn tends to follow and last for a couple hours. I've also only noticed the potentiation with alprazolam, but not any other benzodiazepine.

If you think it feels Weaker why not just take another one? o_O

I’m on Prevacid, my dr had told me Most stomach/acid reflux meds are absorbents, and other rx will not act at full strength. Dr said to wait an hour before and after taking other rx. So anything taken within the hour of taking Prilosec is going to be less affective. With mine I either take it first thing in the AM or right before bed. As far as the SSRI and benzo part, I’m not sure.

omeprazole inhibits cyp2c19 which diazepam is partially metabolized by, which would actually increase it's potency/duration

if omeprazole does effect diazepam it would be through whatever effect it has on the stomach, however, I have never heard of this personally

things like calcium carbonate can cause certain drugs to be absorbed more slowly (or faster in some cases) but doesn't necessarily decrease the effectiveness