• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Diazepam: tolerance = dependence?

Spurs_1882

Bluelighter
I've been using 5mg diazepam for anxiety for the last 3-3.5 months. In that time I've used it, I think, 6 times. Before then I had a 3 month break from it. So all that doesn't seem like a lot. But I now realise that 5mg barely does anything for me anymore.

I'm thinking about upping to 10mg or at least 7.5mg if/when I need to take it. I'm worried (no doubt overly) about physical dependence on it, as it sounds very bad indeed, and I've had withdrawal from alcohol and pregabalin before; both were horrendous.

Sorry if this sounds like an obvious question, but is the fact that I have become tolerant to a specific dose a sign of approaching dependence? Or is it quite normal to have tolerance but not be anywhere near gaining a physical dependence?

I used the search engine but couldn't find the exact question. I found that a lot of people seem to use it far more often without getting dependent, but am still a bit worried, even though I have tried to keep use down to an absolute minimum, and well within the safe zone (I thought) regarding physical addiction.

Many thanks in advance.

Rise on tolerance does not mean dependence, if you stop taking the drug and experience widhdrawals, that is dependence. Tolerance might or may not rise independent of dependence.

Rise on tolerance does not mean dependence, if you stop taking the drug and experience widhdrawals, that is dependence. Tolerance might or may not rise independent of dependence.

Thank you very much for answering.

Benzos are really weird when it comes to withdrawals for sure. I’d say tolerance is a first sign of starting to become dependent but not necessarily meaning you are going to have WD. Your best bet is to drop your dose to 2.5-4 mgs and stick that out a few days and then quit completely or stop now if you think you can. I just quit taking diazepam I was taking 10 mgs a day 5 mgs morning 5 mgs at night if I couldn’t get Valium I’d take 0.25-0.5 mgs Xanax twice a day instead (although Xanax seemed to get me higher the Valium lasted longer and was smoother to come down off of).
im not on day 4.5 cold turkey. I ran out of benzos and have no way getting any (most the shit around is pressed and fake, shit the dealers even tell you if what they have is pressed or real every time they re-up, it’s pretty sad).
I was smart enough to stop myself from taking the same dose once I realized I had like 3-4 10 mgs valiums left and decided to taper so I wouldn’t go through severe withdrawals like I had in the past when I would not care and take my last pills without tapering like an idiot...
i was able to taper for like 4-5 days that’s it. I dropped it to 7.5 mgs immediately and took that for 2 days, which left me with like 25 mgs total in my stash. Next I dropped it to 5 mgs did that for 3 days left me with 10 mgs total. Then the next 2 days took 2.5 mgs each day, and my final day took 5 mgs that I had left and quit cause I had no choice. I’d say the first 2 days were pretty damn unpleasant but not the end of the world. Russian medicine called Valocordin thats legal on amazon helped me it has natural herbs that supposedly release a bit of gaba. Anyways day 3.5 I finally felt slightly better where I could lay down and not feel completely anxious. Now it’s day 4.5 I’m starting to get more of a clear head and my appetite is growing I’m actually eating more than just a small dinner once a day, and my sleep is better. Anyways I’ve been through this too many times and it’s time I leave it behind cause it really isn’t fun being dependent on your pharmacist or dealer to function and feel normal. Goood luck, sorry for the long post, I just know myself and how I would like to know as much as possible from other people’s expereince so that I can use that for my troubles

It depends. First time I quited 6 month 0,5-1mg alprazolam cold turkey and got nothing. I've quited 2 month daily 2mg clonazepam + 1mg alprazolam + 10mg diazepam cold turrkey, got 1 week wd's mainly insomnia. I've never got really much WD's from benzos.

Tolerance doesn't mean dependence. Experiencing un pleasant syptoms when you have none is dependence. Dependant on Benzo's for the past 8 - 10 years so I know what i'm saying. Be careful and don't come off straight off them drastically as you are putting yourself at high risk of a "Benzo fit" as we call them here in Ireland and your seizure threshold goes through the roof. Hope this helps. Stay Safe, Peace, Mr.Heffo94.

I've always viewed this "phenomenon" with the idea in mind that substances have physical effects that produce tolerance, but that they also are experienced in a secondary manner the same way you experience anything else in life. Riding a rollercoaster is pretty exciting, but I bet if you had to ride it all day everyday for a long weekend, the experience would become as pedestrian as buttering toast.

I'm kind of just babbling. I can't back this up with any kind of science, but it's just how I feel.

if you got addicted to alcohol and lyrica, what's gonna be different about valium? by far the most addictive of the three. imo, ime, etc.

upping your dose is a key step on the path to addiction.

Last edited: