• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Diazepam not working for alcohol withdrawal, while chlordiazepoxide does.

UK Warrior

Bluelighter
Hi everyone, I am an alcoholic and have some serious health issues such a splenic vein thrombosis with portal hypertension through drink.

When I am in hospital, I am usually given 50MG of chlordiazepoxide and this relaxes me and gets rid of any withdrawal symptoms.

As my application to rehab has been deferred for 2 months I realised I needed to do something myself, so this morning around 7AM I took 50MG of diazepam with the aim to quit drinking.

By 12 o clock I started to sweat and shake and really need a can of cider so I caved in and bought 3 cans.

Is it possible that where I have a tolerance for diazepam it does not work as well for alcohol withdrawal? I should mention I am prescribed 22.5MG a day of diazepam.

Thank you all for your help.

At the 1 DETOX I did 1-st day 80 mg Diazepam was prescribed. The result during day on the 2 20 mg doses I slept. While still feeling Alcohol WD. The 40 mg at night failed to make me sleep, but without wd's.

Next day I asked my dosed to be halved, concenrning the sleepless night/ due to a to high dose.

2-nd day 10- 10 - 20 mg, it stops the worst but only the GABA-a WD. So i was a sweaty mess that pissed his bed.

last's about 5 day's the worst wd's. To bad Chlordiazepoxide is prescribed for heroin addict's. Ime its indeed better then Diazepam.

Its the half live also ridiculously long?

Last edited:
Maybe valium just doesent work well for you. Everyone reacts differently to benzos. Valium works well for me while ativan does nothing for me

When I was in alcohol detox they prescribed me 250mg librium and 50mg promethazine a day and all I felt is normal...

250mg librium is equivalent to 100mg diazepam...

I'm a recovering alcoholic. Diazepam never did anything for me, I don't know why. Can you ask for a librium prescription? The only benzos that ever helped me with withdrawals were clonopin and librium. Xanax made me extremely depressed, like borderline suicidal. No clue why.

When I was in alcohol detox they prescribed me 250mg librium and 50mg promethazine a day and all I felt is normal...

250mg librium is equivalent to 100mg diazepam...
Yup whenever I went into detox and I mentioned that I like gin I was given Librium,,I don’t recall the strength