• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos diazepam for tremors

FalconSteve

Greenlighter
Diazepam is a great medication for a certain kind of tremors that I deal with because damaged from a brain tumor resection (I take it combined with another antiepileptic). I tried many non-benzodiazepine medications (including a medication the my Neurologist had to recommend and I had to cash pay for), I also tried lorazepam and have an allergy to midazolam. It works really well for me (it got me out of a wheelchair and I switch between a walker and a cane), but it wears off after a few hours. The good thing is that I seem to have avoided physical dependence so far (I can go several days without taking it with only a return of my original symptoms. My Neurologist prefers that I take it irregularly to avoid tolerance, but I find that the low amounts still in my blood still help me walk, but I need a new dose for typing, writing, OT (occupational therapy), etc.

I refuse to try to get my insurance to cover Valtoco (nasal diazepam) because of price ($700/dose; also, I would prefer better dose control) and IV is not an option (I do have a port that I self access) long term due to infection risk, but I need a fast acting option for situations where I need the tremors to stop (more) promptly. I know there is also a rectal gel, but that (or anything similar) is a no-go for me,

I have will chew the tablets when I need them to act faster (learned this trick from on older RN, bless her heart), but this is inadequate speed. My MD is on board with a modest amount of creativity (like he knows I chew doses sometimes- avoiding taking it when I don't need it is more important to him). Self-compounding is not something out of the question.

Some ideas that I had:
~ chew the diazepam tablets, but add a small amount of an oil to aid absorption (not sure to this would even help, not sure of best oil)
~ chew tablets, but add ??? to aid absorption (you all might know something better)
~ make a nasal spray

I thought people on this forum might know how to make diazepam absorb promptly. I am not concerned with losing a portion if the diazepam in the process (My insurance covers 10mg qid and I do not take the full amount, so I afford loss when I need it to act promptly when needed). My pharmacy uses Teva diazepam, which uses anhydrous lactose and colloidal silicon dioxide as the primary fillers. I believe any self made nasal spray would need to at least remove the lactose to avoid jamming nasal the atomizer. Possibly both. Diazepam is poorly water soluble.

Open to suggestions...

Edit: Any nasal spray would need to dissolve the diazepam, but not the fillers [added for clarity]

Last edited:
Has anyone tried using everclear to dissolve the diazepam (if memory serves the fillers are water soluble, but not in alcohol) or 91% isopropyl. Then, diluting it to lower the diazepam and alcohol content? Although both have some water present, so maybe the fillers would be soluble. I feel like this is where I am out of my depth. I had some Migranal just expire, so I could use the 0.1ml clean sprayers and amber colored glass bottles instead of throwing them away.

cooked for sure =)
Would oral+fat or nasal be faster? How much?