• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Diazepam clonazepam Xanax taper equivalencies

bolero

Greenlighter
Hi all

So I'm slowly tapering off benzos after being addicted for several years due to insomnia.

I'm currently at 1mg Xanax and 2.5mg diazepam. [edited because originally i wrote 2.5g by mistake]

Unfortunately I can't get any more diazepam, but have managed to get clonazepam drops. (30 drops = 2.5mg clonazepam.)

I read that 5mg diazepam = 0.25mg clonazepam

1.) Would people say that's accurate for them?

Doing the maths I would need to take 1 1/2 drops to take equivalent of 2.5mg valium.

That's not easy so just going to try 2 drops and hope for the best. If the dose seems strong then I can try to reduce the Xanax.

However, according to net, 0.5 alprazolam (Xanax) = 0.25mg clonazepam

Each drop of the clonazepam Is 0.0833333mg, so if I took 6 drops that would be equivalent to 0.5mg Xanax. [EDIT: this maths is wrong. Except since xanax and klonopin are apparently the same equaivalent, its actually still the right answer, just in case anyone reads this in the same issue]

None of that helps with my inability to divide a drop in 2 but oh well.

2) This is like some crazy maths problem. I guess I'm posting it partly so I remember and partly to check if you agree with my maths and with the equivalent doses I've read about, since I've never taken clonazepam before?

Any advice or comments welcome. Thanks for reading. [Just read the equivalency table here and it's different to what I read elsewhere. I know it's subjective but I'm confused. Help!]

Last edited:
I'm afraid you will not be able to find the correct benzo equivalency calculator or formula online. I can't find one too.Some studies state that 0.5mg clonozepam =0.5mg Xanax. But each benzo has different halflives, different properties etc..
Although clonozepam is usually prescribed for tapering other benzos esp Xanax,my opinion is you should seek a professional medical help/advice.
I myself have had withdrew from benzos many times..had seizures, hallucinations etc, and without professional help I could have died..
Stay safe please consult a medical professional. It's not like an opiate withdrawal.
And.. I have recently relapsed and 40 mins ago I took 80mg diazepam, I usually took 5mg alprazolam but I ran out of it.and Its starting to reduce my anxieties.. I too will surely need to consult a doctor asap.
Stay safe.. Peace

In the ashton manual 10mg = 250 micrograms in the maudsley is 05-1mg in the other 2 is 0.5 mg, but I know from other people that the ashton manual is pretty accurate, i don't know about the other 3 (for clonazepam are these values)

Last edited by a moderator:
it's 2.5mg evo, it was a typo initially, but he mentioned it correctly a little below

I would try to get off the Xanax and just use Diazepam, its a longer acting benzo.

That dosage you are on of Diazepam is nothing but 1mg Xanax = 1mg Klonopin. I have never had issues getting off Diazepam in doses of 60mg+ but we all are different in our metabolism and overall makeup. Klonopin has a very long half-life so just keep that in mind. Your doses are not too high so a successful taper should be no issue. I have never had Clonazepam drops but personally, I would recommend getting your Xanax dosage down to 0.25mg if possible. Even if it takes a month. And if you have been using for insomnia, why not see a Psychiatrist and try to get something to help aide sleep? Wishing you the best.

I would try to get off the Xanax and just use Diazepam, its a longer acting benzo.
Diazempam just doesn't make me sleep, or for than 4 hours if I was lucky (and on a much higher dose - and more than 10mg tends to make me feel depressed when I wake up). Xanax by itself gets me to sleep but doesn't keep me asleep. I seem to need the magic combo of both. I would rather be taking more diazepam and less xanax because longer acting, but as I've been running out for a while now, it's the diazepam that I had to cut first.

I'm afraid you will not be able to find the correct benzo equivalency calculator or formula online. I can't find one too.Some studies state that 0.5mg clonozepam =0.5mg Xanax. But each benzo has different halflives, different properties etc..
Although clonozepam is usually prescribed for tapering other benzos esp Xanax,my opinion is you should seek a professional medical help/advice.
I myself have had withdrew from benzos many times..had seizures, hallucinations etc, and without professional help I could have died..
Stay safe please consult a medical professional. It's not like an opiate withdrawal.
And.. I have recently relapsed and 40 mins ago I took 80mg diazepam, I usually took 5mg alprazolam but I ran out of it.and Its starting to reduce my anxieties.. I too will surely need to consult a doctor asap.
Stay safe.. Peace
Thanks its not my first time withdrawing, but the time I went to the doctor (in uk) he told me to go to a day rehab, but that I couldn't have any benzos either way. I had to stop cold turkey. Luckily I was not as addicted then or on a very high dose but it was still a terrible experience. Initially had sleep paralysis or something freaky, then I couldnt sleep for more than a couple of hours a night for many months. So docs not much help, but thanks for caring and good luck with your journey x

That dosage you are on of Diazepam is nothing but 1mg Xanax = 1mg Klonopin. I have never had issues getting off Diazepam in doses of 60mg+ but we all are different in our metabolism and overall makeup. Klonopin has a very long half-life so just keep that in mind. Your doses are not too high so a successful taper should be no issue. I have never had Clonazepam drops but personally, I would recommend getting your Xanax dosage down to 0.25mg if possible. Even if it takes a month. And if you have been using for insomnia, why not see a Psychiatrist and try to get something to help aide sleep? Wishing you the best.

Thanks for encouragement. <3 I think my insomnia is genetic. I can actually sleep it just takes hours, and I have to be at home and everything just right. I do meditate and stuff and it helps

Thanks everyone for your help. I guess I'll just have to experiment.

One bit of advice for anyone dealing with the drops situation (needing to have half a drop) is to mix it in water and drink half one night and half the other night (thanks to my mum for the suggestion!)

In the ashton manual 10mg = 250 micrograms in the maudsley is 05-1mg in the other 2 is 0.5 mg, but I know from other people that the ashton manual is pretty accurate, i don't know about the other 3 (for clonazepam are these values)

Hi thanks, I'm looking at what I believe to be the ashton manual www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

It says 10mg diazepam = 0.5mg (500micrograms) clonazepam?

That dosage you are on of Diazepam is nothing but 1mg Xanax = 1mg Klonopin.

Thanks for pointing that out, it seems that almost all sources agree with this and not what I said.

So for my own reference, to get 0.25 xanax equivalant to klonopin, I need to take 3 x drops @ 0.0833333333

Last edited: