• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Diazepam bioavailability.

Karbon1991

Bluelighter
Hi, I have some diazepam and I'm wondering if it makes a difference whether I have them on a full or empty stomach, or if a certain type of food will help with good absorption. I've read that some foods can speed up absorption but kill the effect a little and I've also read some foods can kinda make it waste of pills. Also will it affect the onset of anything if I eat say half an hour afterwards. Can anyone advise me what is best?

For me eating certain foods never really had a huge impact on my benzos. Ive heard you can drink grapefruit juice which can possibly potentiate them.

If you have some opiates or weed they typically go well with benzos :)

As far as valium on its own though, I wouldnt worry so much about what foods you eat.

I have Tramadol, I have quite the tolerance to them though so I'd be unsure on the safe dosage along side diazepam, I'll have to invest in some grapefruit juice :)

I always noticed that when I take benzos on an empty stomach they kick in after 5 minutes.
While on a full stomach they take 20-30 minutes to start working.

Basically the main difference is the onset of the drug, so it depends whether you want them to kick in immediately or after a while.

Okay thank you.I'll bare that in mind. So other than the actual onset, will it affect the effectiveness of them atall? For eg, let's say I get the desired effect from 15ml on an empty stomach, will 15ml still have the same effect on a full stomach regardless of the onset of each will 15ml still feel like 15ml on a full stomach?

I think the "effectiveness" aspect has a lot to do with what you're expecting in your own head. There are no certain foods that are going to literally "destroy" any of the medication, only cause different absorption rate. So therefore if you put 15mg into your body, you've got 15mg in your body, period. So 15mg is always going to be as effective as 15mg, regardless of how fast you start to feel it. However like has been said previously, you will start to feel the effects quicker on an empty stomach. And if the intensity or feeling is what you use to quantitate effectiveness then yes they'd be more effective on an empty stomach.