• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids DHEA for Opioid-induced Hypogonadism?

User145667

Bluelighter
Does it work? Will it also affect my daily Lexapro?

Also, are there any other, better, OTC options for helping this little problem?

Last edited:
DHEA isn't the best option, pretty dirty overall with a high conversion to estrogen. And a negative allosteric modulator of GABA-A if i recall correctly.

I recommend getting some blood tests done to first see the extent of the problem 🤔

I take DHEA regularly, along with pregnenolone. I'm a male in my late 30s and I find them purely beneficial. However, I have had blood work done to get a better idea of how my hormones work and to hone my dosing. Some people are testosterone dominant, some are estrogen dominant. If you are estrogen dominant, then long-term use of DHEA may cause feminization, not to mention cancer risks. The prostate in particular is very sensitive to estrogen.

In terms of hormone therapy, hypogonadism in men generally responds better to treatment with hCG, but you have to be careful with that. If you take too high a dose you can really hurt yourself.

However... you're better off trying herbs and supplements first. Start with nutrition. Make sure you're getting adequate daily protein as well as the minerals that are required for hormone conversions in the body: zinc, magnesium, boron, selenium. If you are deficient in these then your hormone levels will naturally suffer.

Exercise, and in particular strength training, naturally boosts Leydig cell activity and T production, which could help reverse hypogonadism. If you haven't tackled diet and exercise then there's no point in taking exogenous hormones.

Does it work? Will it also affect my daily Lexapro?

Also, are there any other, better, OTC options for helping this little problem?

I'm not going to close this. However, this is really an issue best-settled between you and your doctor. Bluelight is around mostly to help people get the answers they feel they are unable to get anywhere else in legitimate circles. That's what we are built on. The issue of side-effects from a prescribed antidepressant will be handled most quickly and efficiently by your prescribing doctor. It's their duty to help you navigate these issues. Have you spoken with your prescriber regarding this? What have you come to us first I guess is my question?

People can throw out suggestions and some of them may be viable for you. It's still better to just go and get the necessary tests done by your prescriber. You can avoid spending a lot of unnecessary time and energy on all of this.

I'm not going to close this. However, this is really an issue best-settled between you and your doctor. Bluelight is around mostly to help people get the answers they feel they are unable to get anywhere else in legitimate circles. That's what we are built on. The issue of side-effects from a prescribed antidepressant will be handled most quickly and efficiently by your prescribing doctor. It's their duty to help you navigate these issues. Have you spoken with your prescriber regarding this? What have you come to us first I guess is my question?

People can throw out suggestions and some of them may be viable for you. It's still better to just go and get the necessary tests done by your prescriber. You can avoid spending a lot of unnecessary time and energy on all of this.

Why would you close it at all? I think the main question is legitimate and while asking their primary care physician (or whoever the prescriber is..) is probably the best idea I don’t think it hurts to ask elsewhere. Considering most doctors probably haven’t a clue on the interactions between DHEA and something like Lexapro.

Bluelight is here for all things drug harm reduction.

-GC

I'd like to try Clomid, but apparently you cant get it OTC, which is stupid IMO; seems safer than DHEA.

I don't have insurance and blood tests sound kinda expensive. But I know I have to have low T because Between the Lexapro and the Opiates/kratom, I have hardly any sex drive. Lexapro somewhat hurts it a little on its own, but not that bad. But combined with regular opiate use, its like a double whammy. I figure my T has to be low. DHEA seems like it could be worth trying but I don't wanna get gyno or something. Or have some weird interaction. Little nervous about it. I called a pharmacist and he said that it would probably be okay but that I should talk to a doctor. That would be fine if they didn't charge me 100+ dollars to talk. Lol

I do work out normally, but lately I just don't feel like it, especially after working all day and having to walk an hour to the gym and an hour back. And on top of that, it seems to kill my buzz. Its kind of a drag these days. But thanks for the answers, guys

I'd like to try Clomid, but apparently you cant get it OTC, which is stupid IMO; seems safer than DHEA.

I don't have insurance and blood tests sound kinda expensive. But I know I have to have low T because Between the Lexapro and the Opiates/kratom, I have hardly any sex drive. Lexapro somewhat hurts it a little on its own, but not that bad. But combined with regular opiate use, its like a double whammy. I figure my T has to be low. DHEA seems like it could be worth trying but I don't wanna get gyno or something. Or have some weird interaction. Little nervous about it. I called a pharmacist and he said that it would probably be okay but that I should talk to a doctor. That would be fine if they didn't charge me 100+ dollars to talk. Lol

I do work out normally, but lately I just don't feel like it, especially after working all day and having to walk an hour to the gym and an hour back. And on top of that, it seems to kill my buzz. Its kind of a drag these days. But thanks for the answers, guys
I take this before the gym, after a few months I definitely feel it in my abilities.