View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dextromethorphan Use With Aspergers Or Autism

Esca

Greenlighter
Hello all, I have a rather unusual question regarding a dissociative anesthetic combined with a person that has mild Asperger's Syndrome. (If this is in the wrong forum, I do apologize, this is my first post here.)

My understanding of the dissociative anesthetic Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide coupled with first hand experimentation coupled with reading literature based upon the subject and its related cousins such as Ketamine & PCP is quite extensive. I have a rather different question concerning a friend of mine who has a mild form of Asperger's Syndrome.

This person has about one year experimentation with such things as Pot, Tramadol, Vicodin, Methadone, Diazepam, Clonazepam, and a few other odds and ends. His experiences with these medications used recreationally are as expected as any normal person with a very low tolerance to the drug scene. There isn't that much information pertaining to people with Asperger's or Autism that have used Hallucinogenic/Dissociative drugs.

I wanted to know if there was anyone out there with such experiences or knowledge regarding in particular DXM while having Asperger's Syndrome and if there were any adverse side effects particularly because of Asperger's. This person is currently taking no medications to conflict and never has in the past ten years. My main fear is that it may be too powerful, strong for a person that has Asperger's syndrome or it may act differently than to a person who doesn't have this syndrome.

My personal opinion is to start off slow, much like with any new drug or medication and work to the desired effect. Any and all information will be much appreciated. I know almost all there is to know regarding DXM and will not make any newbie mistake.

Thanks in Advance! Again if this is in the wrong section, my apologies, this is my first and hopefully many more posts and contributions to this site!

Hey Esca,

I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and am an experienced poly-drug user. Having said that, the only hallucinogenic compounds I have experimented with are LSD and salvia divinoram, and I have had no experience with dissociative drugs at all, except for nitrous oxide.

I am responding because no-one else has and I thought at least something might help.

My Asperger's Syndrome has had no direct effect on the psychoactives I've consumed, or at least not that I'm aware of. Having said that, marijuana exacerbates my anxiety instead of relieving it. But I understand this can be the case for people who don't have Asperger's, or any other personality disorders recognized by the DSM. Neuro-typical people can experience unpleasant effects from marijuana (or any other drug for that matter).

It's unlikely that Asperger's Syndrome will have any impact on the effects of psychoactive compounds, other than the individual's state-of-mind at the exact time they're taking it. What I mean is it is risky for a person diagnosed with schizophrenia to take methamphetamine because they already have a surplus of dopamine in their brains, or for someone with organically occurring paranoia to take LSD because it may exacerbate underlying delusions of grandeur or persecution.

But compared to paranoia or schizophrenia, Asperger's is arguably mild. It usually increases anxiety (it does for me), but that does not have a direct effect on how a psychoactive will be tolerated (or not).

On a side note, psychiatrists are using a well known disassociative - ketamine - to treat people with severe depression who are unresponsive to traditional medications for depression (MAOI's, tricyclics, SSRI's and SNRI's). As anxiety and depression are like two peas in a pod, my guess is that there would be no elevated risk of allowing someone with Asperger's to try DXM (provided someone responsible is there to monitor them). But make sure the subject is not on any medications which are contra-indicated against DXM. I note you mention they are not but just double check.

So to summerize, I doubt Asperger's Syndrome will result in anything other than an essentially neuro-typical response when combined with DXM.

You mentioned a list of other compounds this person has taken and if they had no adverse reactions to them, it's unlikley they will with DXM either. Having said that, take care like you would when you try any other new drug.

Hope this helps,

Willy

Last edited:
I've got experience here, but I'm not sure how much I can offer. I can understand why you would be worried, because people with autism seem to register information at a greater rate than normal, which can be overwhelming and overstimulating. Personally, hallucinogens have never conflicted with my mental problems, self-administered LSD therapy has actually helped me work against my symptoms and tendencies, however I did not enjoy DXM. I can't tell you why, but it was very very uncomfortable for me. I absolutely couldn't stand the body high. This may have just been personal preference because I enjoy other dissociatives such as ketamine with absolutely no problems. If you ask me, just dose low and you'll probably be pretty safe. Worst case scenerio, your friend will be uncomfortable for a few hours and probably not even remember it a month later (at least that's what happened to me).

Cryptic Arc mentions she "absolutely couldn't stand the body high".

People with Asperger's have what is known as 'sensory sensitivity'. I get it in shopping malls, concerts (when I'm coerced into going), loud/crowded parties etc. You get the picture. More specifically, I am very sensitive to touch and have been known to 'jump through the roof' when physically 'spooked' or startled.

We don't know if Cryptic Arc has Asperger's Syndrome and it's a moot point. What's relevant is that if DXM can significantly increase one's sensitivity to sensory input, and if that person is already sensitive (without drugs) to the way their body feels, then perhaps DXM is a compound to approach with caution.

On a side note, my Asperger's did not make any of my LSD trips negative. They were, in fact , euphoric and relaxing. I had consumed alcohol prior and during the trip, however, so that may have played a role in 'lubricating' my psyche, and therefore allowing a pleasant trip.