View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dextromethorphan/Quinidine (Nuedexta) Questions

ThinWhiteDuke23

Greenlighter
OK, I have a bottle of Nuedexta with 20mg of Dextromethorphan and 10mg of Quinidine. I know Quinidine increases the effectiveness of DXM so I need to take less to get to the plateau I want to get to (2nd/3rd), that's a given. I've also checked all interactions and there are no interactions with the meds I take. So how many pills (20mg DXM/10mg Quinidine) do I need to take to get to the 2nd plateau, also the 3rd?

Any thoughts would be extremely appreciate! I'm on Gabapentin right now and I know that also increases the effectiveness of DXM. I thought about taking two Nuedextas but I'm going to wait until I get answers first (just to be safe). I know this can be used recreationally, but need info :).

Hopefully someone more educated on this subject than myself will have something to say, but I just had to point out something after reading this....

It's not really correct to think of quinidine as "increasing the effectiveness of DXM". Quinidine is an inhibitor of CYP2D6, the enzyme that metabolizes DXM into DXO, which means that taking it blocks this metabolism and increases the amount of DXM in the body relative to DXO after ingestion of the former. For medical purposes, in which DXM can be the much more desirable of the two, this can be useful. However, for recreational purposes, this may actually prevent the effects you are looking for, as DXO is the stronger NMDA antagonist. For instance, grapefruit juice, a known potentiator of DXM recreational effects, works by instead blocking CYP3A4, which metabolizes DXM into the inactive 3-methoxymorphinan, thereby increasing the amounts of both DXM and the DXO it forms. This could then be viewed as a more straightforward potentiation, whereas what quinidine does could actually change the overall effect of the drug quite a bit, making it more like how DXM works in people who have an enzyme deficiency. Normal plateau logic may not even apply.

So, I don't know really know more about this pharmaceutical preparation than that, but I just wanted to warn you that this should probably not behave the same as simply DXM but stronger. Honestly, you'd probably be better off and safer just buying pure DXM and using something like grapefruit juice with it. That's just my two cents, anyway.

Actually pure DXM can be pleasant too, I've experienced this while being on bupropion which inhibits both 3A4 and 2D6. There is little dissociation and it becomes more of a clean serotonergic psychedelic somewhat. Imagine nuedexta could be like this ... but bupropion also strongly interacts with DXM.

Can we bump this? I am curious if anyone has any experience with Nuedexta? I have a bottle of 20mg/10mg Nuedexta - says dextromethorphan HBr and quinidine sulfate. I usually I take suboxone or nuvigil, but I'm out of both, and feeling the effects. But got a bottle of nuedexta & can't find much information on it. Will it give a high or relaxing effect? Will it not help? Please help! :?

Last edited:
Can we bump this? I am curious if anyone has any experience with Nuedexta? I have a bottle of 20mg/10mg Nuedexta - says dextromethorphan HBr and quinidine sulfate. I usually I take suboxone or nuvigil, but I'm out of both, and feeling the effects. But got a bottle of nuedexta & can't find much information on it. Will it give a high or relaxing effect? Will it not help? Please help! :?

Define "help".

It's DXM, i.e. the active ingredient in Robitussin/Delsym, a dissociative psychedelic. There's a ton of info on DXM on the net, and yes, some people do use it to dampen the effects of opioid withdrawal (while hopefully not getting addicted to DXM in the process).

However, the added quinidine in Nuedexta is going to interact with the drug's metabolism, and not in a desirable way (atleast for a recreational user). By inhibiting the conversion of DXM to its metabolite DXO you're effectively increasing the risk of serotonin syndrome while decreasing the dissociative effects.

tl,dr: Nuedexta is a less recreational, expensive a.f. version of DXM. *If* you decide to ingest it, dose carefully due to the increased risk of serotonin syndrome.

The Quinidine reduces the recreational effects produced by DXM and the main active metabolite DXO. Stick to powder or dose low using the syrup.