• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Dextroamphetamine + Bupropion

Kaoririp

Greenlighter
Hi all,
I've been prescribed bupropion 150mg daily for depression and am going to be starting dextroamphetamine for ADHD shortly. I know that both of these drugs work on dopamine and noripinepherine so I was wondering if anyone has used them together before and what kind of interaction might occur

Thanks

What doctor in their right mind would prescribe those 2 drugs together? Aside from the probable "cancelling out" of each other, the reaction I had after combining an amphetamine (meth) with Wellbutrin was catastrophic.
Of course, Adderall contains zero Methamphetamine, but the effects of D-Amp can be/are very similar with a high enough dose (from what i've been told). Be careful.

What doctor in their right mind would prescribe those 2 drugs together? Aside from the probable "cancelling out" of each other, the reaction I had after combining an amphetamine (meth) with Wellbutrin was catastrophic.
Of course, Adderall contains zero Methamphetamine, but the effects of D-Amp can be/are very similar with a high enough dose (from what i've been told). Be careful.
hey thanks for the reply, can you be more specific in what you mean by 'catastrophic' and 'cancelling out'. I would have expected them to have more of a synergistic effect rather than cancelling out

Sorry, that shouldn't have come across as dramatic as it did. By catastrophic, i meant complete (but temporary) psychosis from the Wellbutrin trying to do it's thing with inhibiting dopamine reuptake on top of an excessive amount
of dopamine + norepinephrine leftover from using meth. Luckily, i was home at the time.
My experience with using those two drugs together might very well have been a one-off and sleep deprivation + meth on top of the meds likely played a bigger role than I remember.
Maybe it just comes down to timing the doses of each drug just right, idk.

The bupropion + dextroamphetamine combo works for some, but while dextroamphetamine increases the antidepressant effect of bupropion, bupropion reduces the efficacy of dextroamphetamine as an ADHD medication by inhibiting its ability to release monoamines (because keep in mind that amphetamine isn't just a releasing agent, it is also a reuptake inhibitior).

And since wellbutrin is a pretty strong CYP2D6 inhibitor, you'll wind up with more amphetamine in the blood stream, which means increased duration and side-effects. I don't really agree with the combo generally but im sure it works fine for some patients (and less for others).

The bupropion + dextroamphetamine combo works for some, but while dextroamphetamine increases the antidepressant effect of bupropion, bupropion reduces the efficacy of dextroamphetamine as an ADHD medication by inhibiting its ability to release monoamines (because keep in mind that amphetamine isn't just a releasing agent, it is also a reuptake inhibitior).

And since wellbutrin is a pretty strong CYP2D6 inhibitor, you'll wind up with more amphetamine in the blood stream, which means increased duration and side-effects. I don't really agree with the combo generally but im sure it works fine for some patients (and less for others).
Does this mean that it would make it more difficult to get very intense effects or 'highs' from dex? I.e would my tolerance to recreational use be overall raised or lowered by having bupropion active in my system

Does this mean that it would make it more difficult to get very intense effects or 'highs' from dex? I.e would my tolerance to recreational use be overall raised or lowered by having bupropion active in my system

Yes, essentially. If you intend to abuse the dexedrine then you'll want to skip the bupropion for perhaps a day or two.

That seems like a pretty terrible combo to me. Not sure why your doc would start you on wellbutrin when they could've gone with an snri if motivation and fatigue are a problem.

But i'm not your doc and I don't know how many depression meds you've already been through. I would ask your doctor and/or your pharmacist about contradictions with this combo

That seems like a pretty terrible combo to me. Not sure why your doc would start you on wellbutrin when they could've gone with an snri if motivation and fatigue are a problem.

But i'm not your doc and I don't know how many depression meds you've already been through. I would ask your doctor and/or your pharmacist about contradictions with this combo
I've tried a few ssri meds and an snri, they all just gave me side effects and didn't help at all. I'll talk to my doc about maybe trying another snri and see what he thinks. I agree it kindof seems unnecessary to have both wellbutrin and amph if they both have a kindof similar effect

uh idk my guts says no. my curiosity on the other-hand...

starting to think all doctors are just mad scientists. hat's off to you gentlemen! you're doing god's work. or satan's. oh well they carpool so it's kinda all the same shit.

I've tried a few ssri meds and an snri, they all just gave me side effects and didn't help at all. I'll talk to my doc about maybe trying another snri and see what he thinks.

I would definitely talk to your doc about this, but assuming there is no extra seizure risk, that already comes with wellbutrin, or other adverse side effects I guess it could work for you.

Wonder if I could simply use a higher dosage of dex and keep the bupropion low to counteract the 'nullification' while still maintaining the benefits of both. I'm pretty against using seretonergenic antidepressants again due to the horrible experiences I've had with them in the past, which is why we agreed on wellbutrin. Thanks for the responses ill raise this with my doc next opportunity I get