• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Dexedrine ER working better than adderall or vyvanse

Intenselife

Bluelighter
So today at my psychiatrist appointment i got my regular daily dose of klonopin prescription and told my psychiatrist that I didn't want temezapam anymore (I barely used it) and would rather have it switched out for a low dose and quantity of xanax (my favorite benzo when I wasn't prescribed any) for situational anxiety that the klonopin doesn't help with much anymore.

Also I couldn't tolerate the comedown and after effects of adderall IR and my insurance didn't cover Adderall XR so after some researching I decided to request if we could try vyvanse. Let me tell you that regardless of the different amphetamines I have tried (prescribed and unprescribed) I refused to ever take them more then twice a week due to the "comedown" aka nasty after side effects that leave me wanting to die literally. Well unfortunately Vyvanse has gaven me a rough time that I have been trying it the past few months. Far less euphoric than adderall (good feelings), no defined peak, little to no body high and extreme comedown effects when it wears off but less then adderall (Achy, very very depressed/anxious, grouchy, hopeless, virtually dead).

However with the medication changes I mentioned, I researched and had decided to ask him for dexedrine ER (spanule) since I read it was one of the most liked amphetamines with least amount of side effects. I don't understand if vyvanse was basically the same thing, than why did it feel so awfully different even though they both technically are the same?

By the way he prescribed me 120 quantity saying to take 4 15mg's a day (obviously not planning to even take it everyday). But isn't that a lot? Thank god I respect the power of amphetamines (In the positives and NEGATIVES) and have never been tempted to continuously take them or abuse them like a lot of my friends would do. I have pills and pills leftover of adderall and vyvanse that make me remember how shitty I feel after they wear off.

I only took 1 15mg dexedrine (expecting not feel a thing because even with no tolerance I would take 40-60mg of adderall IR in one session and usually 120mg of vyvanse) which many have told me is very very very high for someone with little to no tolerance (plus i'm 5'6 and 145). But I can already feel these good positive feelings and nice calm euphoria from just only that 1 15mg dexedrine (which is probably like 30mg vyvanse? but feels way better then even 120mg LOL).

Anyone else feel that dexedrine ER is better than vyvanse and adderall in terms of euphoria, focus, less anxiety/depression and side effects? My brain is having pleasurable tingles from this tiny dose (and im suppose to take all 4 at once and only took ONE). Im just hoping it gets better, and I pray their no major comedown like with vyvanse and adderall.

Yes, this is true for everyone. It is the best out of all pharmaceutical stimulants besides Desoxyn.

What insurance covers vyvanse (a brand name) but not adderall xr (generic)? Honestly. I'm curious.

I'd imagine that vyvanse releases the molecule more smoothly than any other preparation, not sure on that though.

^^
Obamacare doesn't. I would know since I currently rely on Obamacare for my meds.

Anyways, Vyvanse was specifically designed to an unabuseable formulation of Dextroamphetamine. If you take too much - it gets rid of any and all positive effects and completely ruins any focus or motivation because you feel so tweaked out and nervous that you can barely sit still and you keep looking over your should every 30 seconds. On top of that your heart will be racing, and your chest will hurt like a motherfucker.

You feel Euphoria from Dexedrine simply because it's Dextroamphetamine. Vyvanse is Lisdexamphetamine and therefore has be metabolized into Dextroamphetamine before it becomes active. This take over two hours and due to that simple fact - is what makes Vyvanse pretty undesirable. Adderall and Dexedrine, on the other hand, are not prodrugs for amphetamine - they are real, actual amphetamine.

If you orally administer Amphetamine, it only takes roughly 20 minutes for all of it to be absorbed (that is, if it's not Adderall XR, or Dexedrine ER). Because of this - it hits the brain INSTANTLY (well not instantly, but much quicker than Vyvanse). And as a general rule for all recreational drugs - the faster the drug is able to get the brain, the more euphoric it is. That's why I plug amphetamine (stick it up my ass). Because when plugged, 95% of the amphetamine is absorbed into the blood stream within the first 5 minutes of administering the drug.

I got addicted to plugging because of Amphetamine. It hits the brain so quickly when plugged, that you can actually feel a 'rush'. According to report I've read online - plugged amphetamine enters the body even faster than Amphetamine administered IM (intramuscular injection).

Yes my insurance was charging over a few hundred dollars for adderall xr (wasn't charging it didnt even cover it). But the ones that people seem to like more and are deemed as more abusable (the instant release's) was not even expensive.

Therefore I was also shocked that 120 dexedrine ER's (spanules) 15mg each, that i was prescribed today turned out to be very cheap. But i had to go to 3 different pharmacies because none of them had the dexedrine er and said its rarely prescribed. I was like whatever... but Ironically the pharmacy across from my college had it, and said they will keep some in stock for me monthly, how kind.

Ugh I am an idiot out of impulse, I ended up reaching in my extra pill jars (since I don't want to be fully addicted/dependent on a lot of meds) and I reached in their and took a vyvanse when I thought i grabbed the dexedrine!

I was so mad because I know what happens everytime when that damn vyvanse wears off, and I was enjoying the subtle smooth euphoric affects of dexedrine. I almost began to cry because I know i'll turn into a pmsing girl when it wears off, but I smoked a little bit of weed to give it time to kick in (been an hour now) and did some stretching, and hoping for the best.

I drink green tea, sometimes exercise (probably will tonight), take magnesium and fish oil daily, etc etc, and I can NEVER completely erase the comedown of vyvanse. The only thing that usually comes to my mind is a norco/vicodin or low dose oxycodone (but I dont have them). I can't have alcohol at my house even though i'm 22 (crazy parents) but have occassionally noticed that for me personally it helps the most with comedown.

I will probably consume vitamin c through orange juice etc to get it out my system faster after the good feelings are gone, and then hopefully do some mild to moderate exercise, and get through the night and most of all tomorrow. I don't want my whole tomorrow spoiled. I can't look at vyvanse and adderall the same as I once did. Yuck I hope the good feelings increase, the dexedrine is probably peaking, vyvanse should be starting to kick in any minute. Just thinking of vyvanse makes me want to go vomit.

-----Mildy feeling dizzy/rushing it's not really pleasant but usually happens during the come up for when I take a vyvanse, adderall or another amphetamine but mostly with vyvanse. I didn't want the entire 60mg so I ate some strawberries and kiwis in hopes that my body only absorbs 30mg.

COME ON TINGLES, IM WAITING.... :X :) :( :O

Ugh, I've never done any hard drug recreationally with such bad after effects like amphetamines. Not even heroin/benzos. But notice I said "recreational", when it comes to a full blown addiction I already know that alcohol/benzos/heroin take the lead. But the psychological aspects of amphetamines sometimes are enough to drive a person crazy. I can normally tolerate a lot too, but in the past i've had days where I could not get out of bed from the comedown.

Its so unexplainable.

^How much did you take? Only about a third or less of people taking amp should experience a comedown that harsh.

IME vyvanse wasn't unpleasant for the first week or so. It just seemed to lose efficacy after two fortnights. It would work for about three-four hours tops (four if I drank a lot of caffeine), then I would get cranky and tired. That's interesting because it's dexamp, whereas dl-amp didn't do that to me. I prefer to use the drug as a medication solely, so I welcome the increased stimulation of l-amp.

That sucks, swamp. I'd try to go back to taking orally as then you're taking the dose meant for you. I'd bet the equivalent dose would be about 25% more, increasing tolerance and throwing off the doc's calculations.

When I used alcohol for my stimulant comedown I became dependent on it more so than if I hadn't been taking amp. I would seriously re-consider using alcohol or any other drug regularly if you're on amp. Downers will lead to an addictive cycle, uppers will lead to decreased efficacy, and hallucinogens will lead to decreased efficacy and possibly psychosis.

^How much did you take? Only about a third or less of people taking amp should experience a comedown that harsh.

IME vyvanse wasn't unpleasant for the first week or so. It just seemed to lose efficacy after two fortnights. It would work for about three-four hours tops (four if I drank a lot of caffeine), then I would get cranky and tired. That's interesting because it's dexamp, whereas dl-amp didn't do that to me. I prefer to use the drug as a medication solely, so I welcome the increased stimulation of l-amp.

That sucks, swamp. I'd try to go back to taking orally as then you're taking the dose meant for you. I'd bet the equivalent dose would be about 25% more, increasing tolerance and throwing off the doc's calculations.

When I used alcohol for my stimulant comedown I became dependent on it more so than if I hadn't been taking amp. I would seriously re-consider using alcohol or any other drug regularly if you're on amp. Downers will lead to an addictive cycle, uppers will lead to decreased efficacy, and hallucinogens will lead to decreased efficacy and possibly psychosis.
I know this is a very old thread, however I think it's a very informative and productive discussion. I'm glad BL has kept it up.

I only have a little experience with amphetamines and stimulants, other than cocaine (did a fair amount of it when I was much younger...about 20 years ago), however I'm a recovering alcoholic and I concur with @AlphaMethylPhenyl on the alcohol use for any reason including comedowns. I would often use alcohol for cocaine comedowns, which are horrible IMO, and though it did provide a little temporary relief, on a longer time period of say 24+ hours it just made everything way worse. It's a bad idea! I've been through the ringer with booze, blow, benzos, phenibut, and a few other substances and I don't know of anything that causes physical dependency faster than alcohol. A hangover is really just a mild withdrawal. One night of drinking heavily and the body begins to become dependent on alcohol. I've been through horrendous withdrawals from alcohol, benzos, phenibut, and suboxone. Cold turkey klonopin withdrawal (I know, taper, taper, taper. But at the time I didn't know anything about the severity of withdrawals.) was without a doubt the most horrifying and painful experience of my entire life. Ended up with mild PTSD afterwords. I spent the first 3 weeks in fetal position on my couch with the worst anxiety, worst depression, worst insomnia, lack of any appetite, hearing noises that weren't there, seeing flashes of light out of my peripheral, full body malaise and fatigue, etc. etc. etc. I only took them for 6 weeks, however my dumbass Dr at the time gave me an extremely liberal prescription for it - basically "take as needed with unlimited refills" kind of script. I started taking 1 a day and started abusing it by the 2nd week. At the end of 6 weeks I was taking at least 8mg a day and was barely getting any noticeable effects. I hadn't drank in 5 years and I ended up having some drinks one day because I just had no self control by that point. The next day I was freaked out that I drank alcohol breaking my 5 years of being booze free so I got rid of the klonopin. Bad idea! I'm very lucky I didn't seize and/or die. It took about 6 months for me to get to the point where I was able to function through a fairly normal day except I was waking up at sunrise every day in a full on panic attack. It would go away by about noon. I went to a new Dr and got on Lexapro for anxiety and the morning panic attacks stopped. Lexapro is the only drug, recreational or prescribed, that has had a long term positive effect on my life. I'm very grateful for it. I always suffered from pretty bad anxiety and Lexapro changed my life.

Ok, so I went on a major tangent there. Sorry about that. Back to alcohol. Alcohol withdrawals are the 2nd most painful withdrawals I've ever experienced. After 3 weeks of drinking 24/7 I wanted to die while drying up from that bender. Plus I've been through full on alcohol withdrawals about 50x. That shit is the devil. I'm happy to say I've been booze free for many years now and the thought of taking a drink makes me gag now, which is a blessing. I never want to drink or experience any withdrawal ever again. The only thing about alcohol withdrawals that's better than the withdrawal from other substances that I've experienced is that it's relatively short if you are in decent health. IME it lasted anywhere from 3-9 days, for serious withdrawals that were more than hangover. Suboxone, which I should have never been prescribed, was pretty horrible too. I was on a large daily dose and it took me 1 year to taper down to a 16th of a mg. The entire year of tapering was hell on earth. Then I jumped off from the 16th of a mg after being on that dose for about a week (probably should have waited one more week to jump) and I went through an additional 6 months of withdrawal hell. Most people recover from a Sub taper much faster. I just happen to have a very sensitive system. Yay for me! I was put on Suboxone for Kratom withdrawals, which was a huge mistake. I was taking about 2 ounces of Kratom a day just to stave off withdrawals when I started on the Subs. However it would have still been very painful yet much shorter and easier to just taper off the Kratom. Some of those Suboxone pain clinics just put everyone who walks in the door on Subs without talking to them and getting a real handle on their problem. I'm not bashing Suboxone. I know it saves many lives, but it just wasn't the right choice for my circumstance. I was on Subs for a total of about 3.5 years. Also, the pinheaded Dr gave me a 2 day supply of Klonopin for the first 4 weeks I was on subs to help me get through the tougher days when I was transferring from Kratom to Subs then decreasing the subs to find the right dose for me. I'm a drug addict and I was in a LOT of pain so I just wanted the K-pins. He initially offered me Xanax, but I asked for the Klonopin because Xanies just make me sleepy and I love K-pins. Well that was a stupid decision to because Xanax has about a 6 hour half life so if I only took it 2 days a week it would have been all long gone from my system in a couple days and my body would be Benzo free for several days before I got to the 2 days of Xanax to use the following week. In other words it probably wouldn't have caused physical dependency on that type of schedule in just 1 month. Well Klonopin has a half life of something like 35 hours, so even though I was only taking it 2 days a week the shit was bouncing around in my brain all week causing dependency. A 5 day break wasn't enough time for the Klonopin to make it out of my system and by the end of the month I was dependent again. So now that I've made it off the subs, haven't drank in years, quit smoking over a year ago, I'm dependent on benzos. I've switched over to Valium so that I can do a long slow taper, however now I'm tapering off clonidine which the Doc gave me for the Sub withdrawals. After I'm off that I'll start the very long (probably about 18 months to 2 years) Valium taper. I've been on Valium for 3 years now so my tolerance is sky high and the only reason I take it is to keep myself from going into withdrawals, at 50mg/day. Also, I was in so much pain from the sub withdrawals that I started taking low doses of Kratom again and I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get off that asap as well. I'm taking a small amount, but the withdrawals are still going to be painful. Oh, and cocaine is horrible shit too. I haven't done it in 20+ years but it basically would make me feel great for about 10 minutes then feel horrendous for around 10 days. I've popped Percocet a few times in the distant pass too and it always made me feel crappy for about 10 days after taking a good dose one night. I overdid it with shrooms once and got really uneasy and paranoid once, but other than that I always enjoyed a medium sized stem or cap on a night out. In the late 90's and early 2000's I did shitloads of ecstasy, not molly, ecstasy tablets. We always had them tested and always got the pure ones. That is my favorite drug of all time, but of course I did too much of that too. Might be the reason I have to take Lexapro now. I don't know. Molly just doesn't compare to the x tabs we used to get. I don't really know why it would be a little bit of a different high, but it definitely was much stronger than molly and the high was soooo much more empathetic and euphoric. Maybe I just got crappy molly the handful of times I did it. Late 90's to early 2000's ecstasy tabs were my favorite drug ever. I wouldn't do any drug these days that could be cut with fentanyl. that shit is scary. People are dying left and right. I hear about people I know dying approximately once a month at the place I go for my ongoing recovery meetings.

To make along ass story a little shorter, all these prescription meds and alcohol and kratom have completely robbed me of the past 5 years of my life. Be careful out there everybody. I hope my story can help someone avoid some of the constant withdrawal misery from all these substances I've endured for 5 years straight.

I'm happy to answer any questions or chat about addiction and recovery if anyones wants or needs someone to vent to, talk with, or whatever?

Much love to everyone, sober or not, I have love, support and empathy for everyone. If you're suffering please don't hesitate to reach out. I would never tell anyone what to do or that they have a problem. I just share the experiences I've had that others may relate to and share what did and didn't work for me. What you do is your business. If you are sober, trying to get sober, or actively using I don't judge. There are people out there that can drink or use in moderation and not let it ruin their lives and that's cool with me. Many of us don't have that capability long term, and some of us don't even have that capability short term. Whatever the case I just want to be helpful. Take care and be safe everyone!!

Thanks for reading my ridiculously long post.