• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Dexamfetamine 5mg twice a day...insomnia?

Flynnal

Bluelighter
Yesterday I took 5mg of dexamfetamine around 7am, then another 5mg around 1pm.

Is it normal for this amount to cause insomnia? It was pretty awful. I was in and out of bed, tinnitus spiked a bit, and thought my hearing in my left ear was going even though it was fine. When I finally went to sleep around 4:30am it seemed like only a few seconds, then I was awoken by a bad dream about an hour later around 5:30am (I dreamt that I woke up, rubbed my ears as I always do to find my left ear went out) and then really woke up and realised that my left ear was fine - much to my God almighty relief. I slept for about 4 hours in total.

Scared the fucking hell out of me. I don't even know if I should even keep taking this stuff. It works OKish for ADHD, it gives me a little more focus, and a little more drive. Yesterday I walked twice the distance as I usually do so that's a sign it's doing something. But if it's doing this weird shit to me, I'm not sure how I will fare if I keep taking the two 5mg doses 6 hours apart. I might have to squeeze them in 4 hours apart, or maybe even just take half a tablet twice a day (so a total of 1 tablet per day).

One would presume that with ADHD the dexamfetamine would actually make you sleepy. I'm not sure if this is true, but it seems to be the folklore of those with ADHD that actually find it hard to sleep without the drug. As for me, even with mirtazapine which is one fucking hell of a knockout drug, that shit still kept me up.

So I'll keep doing what I normally do, but with half the dose and 4 hours between the 2 doses. I'll see how I fare. But from what I can tell, I'm not really sure if this stuff will be of much benefit to me.

Yes it's normal. Amphetamine at any dose can cause problems with sleeping. Getting used to your medication (i.e. becoming a little tolerant) should sort out the issue.

Yes that dose can definitely cause insomnia is someone who isn't tolerant. You may want to try switching to an extended release formula and take it once in the morning. I would try sticking with one dose at like 9am for now, see how that works for
you.

Dex-Amphetamine causes no trouble's with my sleep at 35 mg a day last 10 mg at 18:30.

Methylphenidate does, aswell as dl-Amphetamine.

I took 30 mg a day. Last dose at 3 PM. I also usually had an afternoon nap and went to bed about 11 PM. It’s quite accepted that some people have paradoxical effects. I also worked up from 5 mg to 30 mg over a period of several months.

However I never really slept deeply on it. Which is probably why I napped.