• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Detoxing off methadone

MissBoo

Bluelighter
I am coming off methadone maintenance. I am coming down quickly due to inability to afford it anymore. I know what the withdrawal symptoms are but how long does it take for withdrawal to go away?

there's a difference between withdrawal and "sore aftermath". W/d 2 1/2 weeks give or take .. You'll be sore for awhile though. 2/3 months give or take dependin' on your health.

Try the over the counter opioid-type drug used to treat diarrhea called loperamide. In large doses it can stave off withdrawal but it needs to be tapered off just like a conventional methadone detox. I know it's not answering your question but it will help. You just have to be aware it will prolong your dependency but at least you won't have to suffer anywhere near as much as a cold turkey withdrawal would.

dose below 50mg a taper is stupid, w/d ain't severe u just prolongin' suffering.

Being a Canadian I find it awful to hear of people being forced from a medicine that saves lives due to money ?
Methadone withdrawal takes about a month for acute. You could get some lyrica(pregbalin),clondine some naproxen some loperamide to help the symptoms but it's gonna be rough. Eat as healthy as you can and get a good multivitamin

Best of luck

ive been in rehab 11 dif times and watched many come off methadone. It really depends on the person. Ive seen some come off it and be PERFECTLY flippin fine some how with no blowback and ive seen some people so sick it was unreal for over a week followed by post withdrawls that were pretty rough. Where I live they take u off the methadone for 3 or 4 days then give u a tapering sub regimin for 4 days then you are on your own. Stay hydrated and nuerotin can help with the resteless arms and legs and soul a little bit.....

Please help! I am on my 4th day of tapering my nephew from Methadone. He was at 67mg which I dropped to 45mg. for 5 days. On the 6th day, I will drop it to 20mg for 5 days. Then day 6 I will drop to 10mg. On the 6th day of that 5mg for another 5 days. At which point we will start Kraytom and hopefully will be FREE, FREE, FREE. Does this sound to rapid? The last thing I want to do is set him up for failure by going too fast. On the other hand, I will no longer participate in the enabling of ANY and all methadone maintenance clinics. They are the problem. I mean sure, for someone who cannot stay off of heroin, that needs to be stabilized and intensive managing of impulse control it is probable that Methadone is the "go to" solution. IDK but to manage a 19-20 year old that is addicted to presc pain meds is absurd. He has been on Methadone for 10 years! What is wrong with our society? I will NEVER understand why, not ever. He has no other reason to be on methadone other than emotional pain that needs addressed. Anyway any insight, advise, prayers would be wonderful. I can keep ya in the loop. Thank you all.

Loveofnephew, you're an amazing person for helping him and not putting him down as that's the last thing he needs . I am no methadone expert, I've never tapered anyone nor have I seen anyone taper but what I know is when you drop 10-15 mgs every day that's a lot especially when you get to low doses that constitutes like 25% of your entire dose . Maybe stabilize and stay at a low dose for 2 days than taper a bit more stabalize and I guess jump off with kratom when he's ready. I don't condone withdrawals at home or anything like that but I understand where you're coming from , I was that exact 19-20 year old who got caught with H and my parents locked me up Soviet detox style bread and soup . Methadone is serious so stay posted here for more intelligent /experienced bluelighters will weigh in trust me keep us updated here we would only want to help

Thank you for saying that, I am by nature NOT a judgemental person. Plus I have been there. I am outraged at the "help" the clinics offer. In my opinion there should be a limit on the length of time a person can be on the "methadone maintenance" program. There is no encouragement to get off of it. They will keep upping your dose, but ask to lower it & it's a big fiasco. At one point he was up to 186mg! Anyway thank you for your helpful words. I will keep progress posted,