TDS Depersonalisation Disorder - Tips and Tricks?

afriendoftina

Bluelighter
Hello,

I have been recently diagnosed with Depersonalisation and Derealisation Dissociative Disorder following a short spell in Hospital due to an overdose on Benzos and Ketamine. I have been in and out of my body, in terms of mental attachment over the past week and I have found a couple of things that help me get back into my body but I was wondering if anyone would like to share their tips for this.

I have been reading that some people carry "DP kits" containing strongly evoking emotions that jolt you back into believing you exist within reality like childhood memorabilia or even things that remind you of severely traumatic experiences. The idea being that the overhwelming emotion felt in connection with the object brings you back to believing that you have a connection to the world and your physicality.

Has anyone tried this? What's in your "DP-kit"?

At the moment, the best thing for me to stay physically in my body is actually Grindr! The surprise messages prevent me from duping myself into believing that the world is clockwork and therefore enable me to experience the reality as normal.

I'd appreciate any ideas, tricks or experiences as I am new to having DPDR disorder and I would like to stay as prepared as possible. Any help?

Thanks,

AFRIENDOFTINA

Sorry to hear you're suffering with this, hopefully it resolves itself soon. I had short lived boys of it at the end of my benzo days, and one time after an mdpv binge. What helped me was to acknowledge the depersonalization event was happening and that it was a temporary sensation. I had to force myself to focus on aspects of my real life like my cats or my family. I can see how sentimental objects would help. Those events were always unnerving. Did the doctor give you an estimate on how long you would experience this?

Pryoluria. Please please look this up.i had depersonalization so bad I felt I was in a different reality.simple constant dosing meaning everyday of zinc and b6 change things sooooo much. One in the morning and one at night. Pyroluria isn't recognized by many doctors since they can't write a script for it...being deficient of both of these can cause horrible thoughts and feelings. Please don't overlook this post.talk to your doctor and just say you are adding high doses of each to your diet.my guess things will feel better somewhat within a week

Thanks for your replies. I experienced the most intense depersonalisation for a period of eight days following being discharged from hospital due to an overdose involving Lorazepam, Alprazolam and Ketamine (and perhaps other things, i have very little memory of the events.

I spent the eight days in bed, literally only leaving the bed to use the toilet. I had all food brought to me and didn't shower or move. I just lay there, no laptop, no TV, no books or any entertainment whatsoever. Just lay there, physically present but not mentally there.

I entered my body again a week ago last Sunday and I have been making serious efforts to remain in reality. I occasionally find myself outside of reality but fortunately this only lasts a few minutes since I know my trigger to re-enter my body is to engage in unexpected messaging since it jolts me out feeling that my existence is robotic/clockwork.

The doctor won't prescribe me anything for the disorder since I have a history of suicide ideation and overdoses so medication is out of the question.

I keep feeling it creep back ever more frequently in the past few days so any other advice to keep this quite horrible mental illness at bay would be appreciated. Any objects that you think might work?

How long ago was your overdose? Have you ever felt this way prior to the overdose? You said the doctor won't prescribe anything because of your suicidal ideation history, do you have any other mental health diagnosis? Did the doctor give you an estimate for how long this will last?