• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Edibles Delta 8 gummies and health.

Opana313

Bluelighter
Has anyone heard of these delta 8 gummies (50mg) causing liver problems? apparently has some THC not sure if that would be THC-A or THC-P or maybe just a small % of THC delta 9 with the the d8..

Anyway, yeah the Liver. Someone close and dear to me has high level of liver enzymes(or something of that sort, they can not take an aspirin or tylenol) and just recently found out there is a mass on liver.

While we wait for MRI, we have been going through different ideas of how this has came about. I don't think it's the gummies(she doesn't really smoke bud but enjoys d8 edibles because it helps her back and to kill any anxiety, basically just a nightcap.) But I saw the tolerance increase, from going from 3 or 4 gummies a night, now up to 7-10. It's definitely a lot but is it the thing causing liver issues.
Racking my brain I started to think maybe all that gelatin or whatever gummies are made with may have played a role?

I honestly think it's the pristique (snri) that the docs had her on, or maybe one of the SSRI's she was trying previously. It's been a vicious battle with her mental health. Post partum depression and now bi-polar just got her on abilify...I really hope it is not the gummies but what I am REALLY hoping is that this mass just turns out to be fatty tissue or something like this instead of a tumor or cancer.

By the way she doesn't drink. We haven't had a real drink in maybe 5-10 years. Any info or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sometimes the purity of the delta8 is rather low, it isn't extracted from any plant material but rather made from an isomerization reaction of CBD. It is possible that byproducts could be causing the issues although I would expect there to be more reports of liver issues associated with d8. Maybe the combination of other medications with d8 byproducts can cause an elevation of enzymes but we can't really say for sure, this is all just speculation and it may be wise to discontinue the d8 edibles for the time being until things get figured out

Sometimes the purity of the delta8 is rather low, it isn't extracted from any plant material but rather made from an isomerization reaction of CBD. It is possible that byproducts could be causing the issues although I would expect there to be more reports of liver issues associated with d8. Maybe the combination of other medications with d8 byproducts can cause an elevation of enzymes but we can't really say for sure, this is all just speculation and it may be wise to discontinue the d8 edibles for the time being until things get figured out
A factor potentially contributing to the liver toxicity is that delta 8 is weaker than delta 9 THC. Because of this, people take rather high doses. Phytocannabinoids are substrates and weak competitive inhibitors of CYP450 liver enzymes, and the high levels of metabolic flux through the liver could be causing increased oxidative stress/damage.

People who study hepatic metabolism refer to cyp enzymes as metabolic blowtorches. They go through a pretty involved catalytic cycle, loading an iron molecule up with electrons so that it can break even inert seeming bonds. Now like anything in life, these enzymes aren't perfect, and sometimes rather than transferring all of that chemical energy to their substrates, they can transfer it to a water molecule, marking free radicals that can damage the cell.

If somebody already has liver damage they will be more susceptible to further damage, as the liver's regeneration is impaired. This high level of metabolic flux (in addition to undesired side products of isomerization) could be the straw that breaks the camel's back, so to speak.

Thank you all so much. Gallbladder is out now and lesions of liver and binine tumor sounds like it came directly from hormones/estrogen (we were blameing pristique but drs believe it was the birth control that made the liver issues). One thing for sure is that the liver enzymes were very high but after being pristique free for about 3 weeks, before the gallbladder surgery found out liver enzymes are back to normal...things seem to be much better now. But I sure hope these edibles are not the culprit and after this week I'm almost certain it is not...just thought I'd give an update.

And always great to read everyone's input, so thankful BL has some smart folks on here, again thank you both!

While the research on delta-8's potential side effects is limited, there are some concerns about its impact on the liver. High dosages or prolonged use, especially in combination with other medications, could potentially contribute to liver issues. The presence of THC delta-9, even in small amounts, adds another layer of complexity. THC can interact with medications and affect liver function in some individuals. Schedule an appointment with the doctor and share your concerns about the delta-8 gummies, gelatin in the gummies, and any other potentially relevant factors like medications, lifestyle habits, and family history.