• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Decarboxylating in ethanol without losing the ethanol.

Mracid

Bluelighter
Hi, I was making a tincture and forgot to decarboxylate the cannabis behore putting it into the alcohol. I also do not want to lose the ethanol since its 94% pure and cost about 25$ per 375ml, so I decided that I would decarboxylate the Cannabinoids, inside the alcohol.
Once my tincture is comlplete (it is in the freezer ATM) I will put water to boil and put my mason jar (closed) in it and wait for over 1h30, as I read that with lower temperature the better it is to wait and be patient.
Then after this time I will leave it cool slowly from water temp, to ambiant temp, to refrigerator temp and then put it back in the freezer all without opening the jar.
With this method I hope no alcohol will evaporate then when I use the tincture the CO2 produced by decarb will leave and the alcohol will stay because ethyl alcohol doesnt really evaporate at temps around 32Farenheit.
The tincture is already pretty strong, 1gram per 7.5ml of alcohol, but I guess with time may reach a gram per 7ml due to evaporation.

I wrote this thread to ask for opinions and advices, and if there is mabe some past experiaces of making a tincture backward.

Thanks for reading. And have a baked day!

well if your solution boils, you will loose ethanol if you don't establish reflux (evaporated solvent cools down and drips back into the flask). also, your solution will never be hotter than the boiling point of ethanol, so you should consider if that's enough to actually decarboxylate the THCA.

definitely do not boil it in a closed vessel without a valve, the built up pressure might set off an explosion! and boiling big amounts of almost pure alcohol without proper ventilation and such can be disastrous because the gaseous ethanol is highly flamable.

personally, I'd rather remove the complete ethanol with a liebig cooler (destillation bridge), so you have the hash oil and the ethanol seperated, then decarboxylate the oil, then combine again.

you can heat it to below the boiling point of the alcohol and leave it for a while, there's a chart somewhere on the googles showing minimum decarb time by temperature