• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Edibles Decarb-ing and butter

8 hours sounds like overkill to me, it's possible to decarb much faster with more heat, any heat below the smoke point of the oil is fine. I like to decarb smaller batches with a tea candle, it's a small heat source that can easily be controlled so there's very little risk of burning. Decarbing releases little bubbles of Co2 so that's a convenient visual indicator of the progress. At the peak there will be a lot of bubble formation, then it tapers off and when it's just down to a bubble or two every second it's as good as done.

Once that's done the oil just has to be strained then it's ready to use in any food, and quite potent! So it doesn't have to be a complex process, and keeping it simple allows you to literally see how it's doing, which helps alleviate any worries about doing it wrong.

The amount of decarbing done during the curing process is negligible. This is proven by tests done on legal buds that you can buy in the store with results displayed on the product.

This is probably true, that said something does change to create a more potent smoke when cured right vs wrong/not at all. That said almost all the bud I see in legal/medical shops is poorly/not cured weed. They simply dry it and bag it. No growers go through the intensive month cure that they should.

-GC

This is probably true, that said something does change to create a more potent smoke when cured right vs wrong/not at all. That said almost all the bud I see in legal/medical shops is poorly/not cured weed. They simply dry it and bag it. No growers go through the intensive month cure that they should.

-GC
I usually include the dry times for my cure and it would only take a couple weeks, maybe three weeks at the most. While the cure itself does mellow the smoke I've never noticed a change in potency and I'm not sure why it should.

Out of the thousands of legal purchases I've made, only two or three I would have guessed had a bad cure done to them. Why would anyone give business to someone who doesn't cure? In the legal market, they at least have some accountability, notably the State and the customers themselves so it's easy for me to depend on them getting it right as opposed to say some blackmarket grower.

I've inadvertently extended the cure of some legal buds by storing them and I can say with confidence that the biggest change that occurred is a loss of terpenes.

I usually include the dry times for my cure and it would only take a couple weeks, maybe three weeks at the most. While the cure itself does mellow the smoke I've never noticed a change in potency and I'm not sure why it should.

Out of the thousands of legal purchases I've made, only two or three I would have guessed had a bad cure done to them. Why would anyone give business to someone who doesn't cure? In the legal market, they at least have some accountability, notably the State and the customers themselves so it's easy for me to depend on them getting it right as opposed to say some blackmarket grower.

I've inadvertently extended the cure of some legal buds by storing them and I can say with confidence that the biggest change that occurred is a loss of terpenes.

I’ve also made thousands of legal purchases and I disagree. Maybe it’s just a shit cure job... “3 weeks at most” shows that both yourself and other growers aren’t doing it long enough.

A proper cure brings out the terpenes and seems to potentiate as well as change their profile depending on the strain. You shouldn’t be losing much terpenes if done properly.

I’ve shopped at nearly 100 different dispensaries too and I rarely find a shop that has reasonably priced bud that’s cured well. I travel a lot so have seen a lot of what the US has to offer in terms of legal cannabis.

Maybe folks are curing with too much leftover moisture? My problem is most cannabis has too much moisture left cuz the growers want to preserve that fresh off the plant high terpenes smell. Problem is, doing this gives a high potential to create that underlying grassy taste we all hate it left like that for too long.

A proper cure essentially holds onto all those terpenes while also getting the bud to a point where it’ll actually burn well.

It doesn’t matter how long someone cures, if the buds still contain too much moisture it’s pointless.

It all depends on shop and growers I guess though. The shop I frequent now has amazingly cured cannabis. But these guys aren’t the average..

-GC

Geographical locations will effect the required lengths to dry buds. I've dried indoor in as few as four days before it went straight to the cure jar, this was in a dry environment.

Growers will often refer to the proper time to dry would be until the branch snaps instead of gently bending.

Curing is not really an advanced subject or has hidden information from modern growers. It's rather easy to implement a proper cure phase for production. It's also rather easy to verify how little decarbing occurs even with extended cures.

Geographical locations will effect the required lengths to dry buds. I've dried indoor in as few as four days before it went straight to the cure jar, this was in a dry environment.

Growers will often refer to the proper time to dry would be until the branch snaps instead of gently bending.

Curing is not really an advanced subject or has hidden information from modern growers. It's rather easy to implement a proper cure phase for production. It's also rather easy to verify how little decarbing occurs even with extended cures.

Again we’ll just have to agree to disagree.. Your right it’s not the least bit advanced but I’ve been surprised by the utter stupidity I’ve encountered since coming out west, a lot of very simple things seem to get fucked up out here.

It’s as simple as trying to cure not quite dry bud that’ll make it an absolute waste. Greed and desire to move product make this happen often apparently.

While I agree it’s possible decarb’ing isn’t the overall factor improving quality, something does change. Maybe it’s as simple as properly retaining the terpene content while also creating a product crispy enough to burn proper.

I will say I do feel a difference between concentrates like most shatters which is mostly THC-A with a tiny bit of THC, vs extracts contain straight THC-A shards. This would correlate well with the small differences in well cured vs not in terms of THC-A to THC ratios. Just because possibly only a few % convert doesn’t mean it’s insignificant.

-GC

Will decarboxylation ever occur at room temperature, say given a long enough time and the right oil? Does the oil actually react with the THCA or is it simply a process of dissolving?

Greed and desire to move product make this happen often apparently.
I've only seen what you are describing happen in the black market.

Legal bud (as well as my own home grown) has been nothing but fire ime.

Will decarboxylation ever occur at room temperature, say given a long enough time and the right oil? Does the oil actually react with the THCA or is it simply a process of dissolving?
The time it would take for a significant decarb to occur at room temp., would be more than enough time for the butter it's dissolved in to go rancid. Edibles have a shelf life due to butter going bad.

The time it would take for a significant decarb to occur at room temp., would be more than enough time for the butter it's dissolved in to go rancid. Edibles have a shelf life due to butter going bad.
Ahh okay that makes sense. I always heard the rumor that you can make firecrackers without baking if you stir weed into peanut butter and let to sit for a week or so. I guess it’s just that, a rumor

From what I have read over the years, I think that even at room temperature there is some decarboxylation of the THCA in the buds. I remember reading that some cannabis growers like to "cure" their cannabis by ageing in a humidor. I think UV treatment could also contribute - hashish was aged in the sun and could be consumed orally without further processing.
Yes in my opinion decarbing this way is much more ideal than trying to do a quick decarb with heat on fresh or shittily cured buds.

So how I was taught (and know I’ve experimented around in this, this is the way to do it) is to dry the buds until they snap when pulled back from the plant. Dry the plant as whole as possible to allow the cannabis to die slowly. Usually I leave the root ball on, and just trim the small hard to get leaves leaving the easy to snip sugar leaves for post drying.

Once dry (about a week) take the buds and put them in mason jars, leaving an inch or two at the top and not packing them in but lightly placed in. Now cap them. The first week open every day for 5-10mins.

The next 3 weeks open every 3-7 days a week depending. It’s something you eventually learn by feel.

This curing process makes a much better smoking product, gets you much higher. Essentially the longer you can extend the drying and curing process the better.

I’ve found a lot of bud I buy can be further cured at times to yield a better product. One thing is to leave in a jar in a warm environment for 1-2 weeks of poorly cured bought bud, this seems to increase potency smoked or eaten.

-GC

I've heard about this from an old timer who grows his own, and he has had some of the craziest weed I've ever tried. I remember fuzzy recall of the plant being so potent that if you weren't sure of the individual who had grown and cured it, you'd swear there was other drugs in the joint.

Both interesting and reinforcing concepts.

I just put my 1st batch in the mason jar, it worked out to 5 grams of dried powdered bud, 200 ml of coconut oil in a mason jar and submerged in water in the crock pot on high. The plan is to heave it for 12 hrs with some shaking intermittently. Also the doses worked out nicely, 5 x 0.2 (theoretical approximation of THC content, in reality it's probably closer to 17% ) divided by 200 ml yields around 5 mg per ml. so something like 20 - 25 mg per teaspoon (5mL).

I'm a little excited to see how it works out. If it goes well, this production method is very easy to scale up and pretty much a "set it and forget it" sort of deal.

Also, I looked into all kinds of hot plate stirrer combos and the ones that go up to 280 C are way more expensive than I'm ready to pay, I'll definitely look into finding some refurbished equipment, thank you for the suggestion Sekio. Also found distillation combo kits and vacuum dehydrator combos on amazon for a reasonable price. If I could figure out how to rig up a fume hood and pass the exhaust through a charcoal filter to deal with the offensive odors of offgassing reactants, I might be able to pursue some more adventurous chemistry "home labs". It's a long way off, and not so easy when you live in a densely populated metropolitan area, but the desire is there, and the investigation into means to accomplish these ends are ongoing. Some day, some how it'll come to fruition.

Last edited:
I'll take your word for it and adjust dose accordingly. This would mean 5 mL is equivalent to about 18.75 ish mg with losses. I feel like that's a reasonable dose for a lightweight user of the cannabis. I would have to add, that is it possible retailers don't include any losses or actual potency in their retail product advertisements? It'd be similar to dosing 100 mcg tabs of acid with a known 20% loss in potency during the whole process of laying blotter, but just marketing it as 100 mcg anyways. I believe it's pretty common, those nice whole numbers look good on paper.

The mason jar in a crock pot works. I did everything as outlined earlier, filled the crock pot to about the top of the mason jar with water, and left it on high all day.

5 mL (1 tsp) worked out to something between 12 - 15 mg and it was a decent stone, so that method is confirmed. Tastes nice too