Dealing with the urge to self harm

washingtonbound

Bluelighter
Lately I’ve been worrying about how things have been escalating with my mood swings. I’m totally rationally aware that I am having an attack over nothing but there are times when I feel this terrible negative energy wash over me and I can’t control myself; I end up screaming at myself and banging my head against the wall. Yesterday I was drinking a bit and I started to cut myself, which I don’t usually do. I’m concerned that eventually I’m going to do something I regret when the demons have a hold of me. I was diagnosed bipolar type one three and a half years ago after a manic episode and have since been to the psych hospital nine times as well as rehab and two other facilities. There seems to be a part of me that is still does not believe that my past could have happened and every once in a while it just gets to me. I am constantly degrading myself mentally thinking I have no right to any peace of mind. Without going into a monologue I’d like to get some advice from other people dealing with self harm on how they reduce the urges to severely hurt themselves. There seem to be a lot of likeminded people on this forum so hopefully others can empathize. It’s very difficult sometimes when your rational mind tells you you aren’t thinking normally but whatever the energy is that is dead set on destroying you is relentless. Thanks for reading.

It's good that you recognize the monologue of self-degradation that you are putting yourself through. It is important to untangle all the roots of that destructive voice in your head and then you can begin to challenge it and stand up for yourself. We don't create those voices in a vacuum. They come from our families, our schools, our society, advertising imagery etc. But we unwittingly internalize them and make them our own. It is possible to unlearn these habits.

Self harm is somewhat addictive so it is also important to address it in the same way you might try to free yourself from any other addiction. Step 1 is always recognizing why it offers you something and what that something actually is. For many people there is a comfort that comes with it that seems counter-intuitive. (And it is! How crazy is it that we comfort ourselves by hurting ourselves??) But you can replace the anticipation, the ritual and the reward to the brain that this self-harming act symbolizes with an alternative ritual of your own creation. (One Bluelighter says that she cut and tore up old t-shirts.)

Psychologists theorize that self-harm is an attempt to control one thing in a world that is completely out of your control. Living with bi-polar certainly contributes to feeling out of control when even your moods do not seem directly related to actual events. But ironically getting comfortable with the lack of control in our lives is a way to have more control over our lives. Constantly needing to exert control when it is not even possible is head banging.:\

Bi-polar people are some of the most creative people amongst us. You do not need to be defined by this diagnosis but it is part of who you are. Most people I know with bi-polar have had to commit themselves to a very personal struggle with the psychiatric interventions they are offered. Some will choose to live with their brain chemsitry as is. Others choose medication that flattens and blunts their emotions but keeps them stable. Others choose a middle road of medication only when necessary (ie extreme states of mania or depression). Do you feel good about the medical professionals that you work with? If not, you may want to consider exploring new relationships. A respectful psychiatrist that listens to you and works with you is key.

Ugh I can totally relate. I'm diagnosed with ptsd and depression. I started cutting once I got sober and it's gradually getting worse. I don't have alot of good advice but I do know what your going through.

As always herby has some great advice

I am so sorry to hear you others are experiencing this also. I have had a few attacks of this. Feeling like I want to stab myself and a dark feeling. I have been using meditation to help. I noticed that sleep will sort it out for me. If I can manage to get to sleep then I wake up in a different frame of mind.

While I meditate I concentrate on love surrounding me. You are worthy of peace. You are loved and cared for more than you may know.

I am living with chronic pain, cluster headaches, PTSD, depression, severe anxiety, injury.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Herb - regarding my relationship with medical professionals, unfortunately it has been very negative. The first time I began to see psychiatrists was after my first full blown manic episode that I experienced when I was 19 that involved not sleeping for days, having "talking to god delusions," and the whole nine yards. Over the past few years I can tell you that I've been on just about every medication under the sun for bipolar/mood disorders, including ability, depakote, lithium, zyprexa, seroquel, haldol, paliperidone, doxycycline, Wellbutrin, gabapentin, lamictal, cymbyax, and others that I don't remember at the moment. I've been forcibly injected with haldol in hospital settings several times which caused its own array of problems. Even when I've been in a completely stable state, my old psychiatrist was pushing my lithium levels up so high that it was causing such a flat effect that it inhibited my functioning. A lot of psychiatrists are snakes in my opinion and are too reliant on the western model for treating illnesses which does not focus on the underlying causes and instead aim to mask the symptoms. I found a a TCM practitioner recently that I was thinking about trying but then I found out they don't take insurance. I'm more open to homeopathic medicine but to tell you the truth I'm just trying to ride things out sober right now as much as I can.

So your not on any meds right now?

Well I'll just say that alcohol can greatly amplify mental illness. Your vulnerable to an episode right now so be observant

sorry but I don't feel you are in a place to tell me what I am or am not vulnerable to. I'm not much of a drinker but happened to do a little after going out to dinner this past weekend. my episodes have really stemmed from heavy psychedelic use which I have managed to take out of my life and have not had any kind of episode for a year. I just gave my diagnostic history to provide context.
I don't like the way people are put in box who have experienced what our society calls episodes. there may be people who function who toss the pharms down every day and attend the regular support group meetings but for me thats not the kinda life I wanna live. so I will continue to deal as best I can

I've never cut myself or harmed myself in that regard, but I have dealt with a lot of suicidal ideations and was using drugs very recklessly with little to no regard for my own well-being. Taking a dangerous amount of drugs was somewhat exciting to me, like some people who binge drink take pride in how much alcohol they can consume, I took pride in how much drugs I could consume.

I'm diagnosed with PTSD, andI've had a couple psychotic episodes as well and was put on an anti-psychotic for a very short period of time but quit taking it. I have also been told I should consider going on anti-depressants as well, but am not willing to. I don't like the idea of using medications to manage my symptoms either, even if they are prescribed by a doctor. To me, it just seems to similar to my drug habits. I want to experience whatever emotion I have rather than attempt to mask or alter it with a substance, prescribed or not.

I find a holistic approach to be my preferred method to managing my emotions. The little things add up to make a big difference. I find that exercise is a necessary part of my daily routine in order to feel good. It is energizing and uplifting, plus I just feel accomplished and it gives me something to be proud about. On a similar note, diet is also important, although it doesn't seem to have as much of an immediate impact as exercise, eating healthy and nutritious meals at regularly spaced intervals helps me to feel energized, avoid feeling lethargic or weighed down, and promotes good health in general. Eating foods high in sugar/carbs can lead to spikes in emotions, not to mention lower self-esteem and lead to poor health. I still struggle with having good sleep habits(2am right now, wide awake) but sleep is important as well. I would suggest looking into healthy sleeping habits... I need to improve mine, it's hard to keep to a schedule or maintain healthy habits when your sleep is erratic.

Staying active is also a big part of mental and emotional well-being. If I allow myself to sit around all day and watch TV, it just sort of perpetuates a feeling of helplessness and depression. I feel much better when I spend time studying, working, and playing music. I try to set daily goals for myself based on what needs to be done that day. If I don't work or have school, I try to spend some time doing chores around the house. If nothing else, it creates a better living environment, takes your mind off of negative things, and gives you something to feel accomplished about.

I think one of the key parts of avoiding or preventing negative thoughts is to build self-esteem. When I just lay around all day watching TV or playing video games I start to feel negative about myself, feeling guilty and useless. That negativity tends to build and can spiral out of control. It tends to lead to negative behavior like drug use or self harm as well.

Live each day for a better tomorrow. Today may not be great, it might even suck. You may feel like shit and have no hope, but if you set goals(even simple ones) and spend each day trying to make your tomorrow better, over time things should improve.

This may all be a little oversimplified, and there are other things to consider as well, like stressors and environment, but I find that if I take care of myself and make caring for myself a priority, other tings come a little easier. Start with one thing at a time if you have to. Build slowly, it's not all or nothing. It's a bad day, not a bad life. Things can get better.

Your social environment is something to consider as well. Try to be around positive and supportive people while removing negative and demeaning people from your life as much as possible. I think it is better to be alone rather than be around someone who is always negative and demeaning. It's important to value and appreciate yourself. Try to regard and think about yourself in a similar way you would someone who you really care about. Be understanding and empathetic towards yourself. Don't beat yourself up, pick yourself up after you have fallen. Stand up for yourself, embrace yourself.

Talking to a counselor or therapist might help you deal with some of your emotional issues, but these are things you can start doing on your own that should at least help.

TL;DR:
I find a holistic approach to be effective. Daily habits should be considered. The little things will add up to amount to big things. Diet and exercise are important. Staying active and having positive outlets is important. Doing things that build self-esteem rather than diminish it is very important. Making a daily schedule that plans out your day by the hour can be helpful. I find my mood to drastically improve when I put proper amounts of attention to diet, exercise, work, school, music(constructive hobbies) and play(leisure time). For me, so much of staying health is balancing my daily routine.

Therapist or counselors can help resolve deeper emotional issues, but removing negative influences and replacing them with neutral or positive influences will go a long way.
Above all, care for yourself, appreciate yourself, and love yourself. Much easier said than done, but I find it is a more attainable goal if I reach my personal goals(on a daily basis even).

Last edited:
sorry but I don't feel you are in a place to tell me what I am or am not vulnerable to. I'm not much of a drinker but happened to do a little after going out to dinner this past weekend. my episodes have really stemmed from heavy psychedelic use which I have managed to take out of my life and have not had any kind of episode for a year. I just gave my diagnostic history to provide context.
I don't like the way people are put in box who have experienced what our society calls episodes. there may be people who function who toss the pharms down every day and attend the regular support group meetings but for me thats not the kinda life I wanna live. so I will continue to deal as best I can

That's cool it wasn't meant as an insult. I just think it would be prudent to be observant for as I am sure you know having one episode makes having another far more likely. I find personally that having a therapist is a good way to get outside feedback about my moods that I don't always have the clarity to see.

My best friend has never self harmed has started severely cutting her upper thighs due to the father of her child suiciding and then feeling the need to be immediately with anyone else to fill the void.

She picked an arsehole and his idiocy was the impetus to cut herself with a surgical scalpel.

The explanation Herbavore gave sounds reasonable to me. An attempt to control something in a world that is completely out of control. The chronic pain and injury I live with has changed my life so much. I would usually be out skiing right now or doing something active but now just getting a shower and dressed has become so difficult.

I definitely don't want anymore pharmaceutical's! I'm with you on that. The pain medication I must take sucks enough. It is better than not being able to eat and sleep due to pain but it has bad side effects. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Luckily I have not actually ever cut or hurt myself but the feeling to do so is horrific and scares me. Meditation is the way to go on this one guys. Also eating, sleeping, exercising (I count moving as exercise right now lol!) on a regular schedule is very important.

I send my love to you all who are struggling with this problem. You are not alone.

BTW- I told my doctor about this and he gave the stamp of approval on the meditation. He said that it amazing that you are getting in so much pain that you feel like causing more pain to yourself and have been able to overcome that with your mind!
If I can do this then you guys can too!

Meditation and sleep when this horrible feeling comes up.

Be good to yourselves.