• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

DEA Asks FDA To Consider Rescheduling Marijuana From Schedule I Drug

straightrazor

Bluelighter
Someone pinch me, I must be dreaming and/or tripping....

In another sign that the 2014 is turning out to be a watershed year for marijuana drug reform, the federal Department of Drug Enforcement (DEA) has sent up the first of what undoubtedly will be the first of many white flags .

After a historic House vote to defund the DEA's operating budget for marijuana enforcement in the states earlier in the month passed (with a similar one now in the Senate), the government agency has now asked the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to consider removing marijuana from the list of Schedule I drugs as defined by the Controlled Substances Act .

more @ http://business-news.thestreet.com/...ider-rescheduling-marijuana-schedule-i-drug/1

Great news indeed! Let's wait and see how many strings are attached.

Edit - ^^ Exactly what I was thinking about (they asked the FDA on a few occasions in the past couple of decades, and it didn't get very far.

Key words. Defund the dea. Cannot see major changes without this happening.

I hate how they pretend to be scientific about what they do when it all revolves around who lobbies the government. If their factor analysis was legit they would have all alcohol and tobacco executives executed and give weed away with ones tax refund.

Wonder how long the big pharma controlled and funded fda will take to get this done. Love to see this white flag though♡

If they reschedule marijuana, won't the DEA get more $$?

I say fuck the DEA. Defund it into non-existence.

the ban on weed (and commercial hemp) was not funded by big pharma, it was based on TIMBER FUTURES that the Rockefellers and other rich assholes in the USA had (way back in the 30s)

Timber futures may have been a part of the deal back then.. but there is so much more to this story.

Yeah I remember Obama during his first campaign saying he would stop the DEA from going after marijuana ... followed by a huge crackdown once he got into office. Don't believe there will be any real change.

Whoa there kimosabe. If the DEA (and the federal US government in general) really is serious about softening up on the ol' maryjayjay (itself a promise deserving of skepticism -- fool me twice shame on me!), then yeah, it is a good thing that small-time farmers, distributors, and users who stay within the bounds of their local laws when it comes to marijuana, don't have to worry about the DEA kicking in their doors anymore. But the cynic in me says that if this is really the direction that federal marijuana policy is headed, it's mostly for self-interested reasons on the part of the federal government, with the DEA as their hired goons. Maybe some top-secret think tank has crunched some numbers from the "pilot program" in CO and WA, and realized the federal government can pull in more money by allowing people to grow and/or sell and/or use marijuana if and only if they're willing to pay an exorbitant federal tax and/or licensing fee, and kicking in the doors of those don't pay their protection money tax, as opposed to banning marijuana completely and kicking in the doors of anyone who possesses marijuana.

Dismantle the DEA. Never did nothin for nobody. They're a little bit analogous to the religious police in Saudi Arabia. Both are in essence their respective country's ruling elite's terror squad, who showily hunt "moral deviants" as both a Coliseum-ish distracting spectacle, and a warning to the general populace of what they do to people who disobey them.

I have to obtain a DEA number in order to prescribe drugs. The party line I'm always fed is that it's a mutually beneficial relationship, whereby I'm protected from monkey business by drug makers / vendors and untrustworthy patients alike. I think that's a load of hooey, sold to us to make the real agenda go down more palatably among healthcare providers. The DEA forces me (the initial application and renewal processes are on my own time and dime, mind you) to let them watch and analyze my every move with a prescription pad, and that's about the whole story. If I'm unwilling to grant them this intrusion, then they're unwilling to let me prescribe prescription-only drugs. Last I heard forcing people to do business with you against their will is called racketeering. They'll do nothing for me. Word on the street has it that approaching the DEA as a prescriber with a complaint, or asking them for help out of a tough situation, is kind of like walking into a police station to report a crime in a country where you're an unpopular minority and the police are very opaque and corrupt. You'll be lucky to walk away without some serious scrutiny of you, maybe even some trumped-up charges if you say too much, and if you really rub somebody the wrong way, a ruthless beatdown you'll never get an apology for, let alone justice.

Dismantle the DEA. Never did nothin for nobody.

This.

It would be a dream come true.

And this outstanding quote from another BLer regarding the negative implications of the DEA ceasing to exist: "Massive job losses, for people that add next to nothing of tangible benefit to society."

Oppressive bastards need to go.

talk about being ambiguous

one govt agency asking another one to "consider" doing anything means years of BS to follow before anything conclusive happens unfortunately

would be cool to see the DEA back off a bit, but theyre having an identity crisis atm so they could really go either way in sticking to their War on Drugs or just throwing in the towel and going

"welp, sorry about that!"

talk about being ambiguous

one govt agency asking another one to "consider" doing anything means years of BS to follow before anything conclusive happens unfortunately

"Ask to consider" is all the DEA can do to the FDA. Neither one has any power over the other by the way they nest in the hierarchy of US government bodies. Granted they have some common interests, but there's not 100% overlap by a long shot. The DEA gets a very, very long leash from the government bodies they answer to, as any DiTM regular has seen again and again. They terrorize ambiguously lawbreaking civilians with impunity, have passive-aggressively defied top-down orders to change their policies and tactics and knock off the human rights violations, and waltz right into other sovereign nations' land armed to the teeth and kicking in doors, with no accompanying diplomatic talks that the media ever tells us about. Granted my sources are slanted, but the picture I'm getting is unflatteringly close to a paramilitary force in a banana republic. I was not aware, however, that the DEA's long leash extends as far as bossing around other government bodies or the officials that work for them.

No, what I find interesting about this little exchange is that the DEA said it out loud for the public to hear, by taking it to the press. Congress grew some balls and stood by state and local wishes, and the DEA felt a sharp jerk as their leash got pulled a little shorter. So they walked away with some skin off their noses, and this loudly and publicly announced entreaty to the FDA is in hopes it'll make the DEA look a little better in everybody's eyes.

If this really was the initiation of a coordinated joint action by multiple government bodies, this request and the talks about it would happen behind closed doors in meetings with no press. It'd go public once it was a done deal and the rescheduling phase-in had a set date.

half_baked_1998_samson_kills_killer_part_3.jpg