• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Data Can End the War On Drugs

Joey

Bluelighter
Drug policies must be aligned with human rights, health and development – punitive and stigmatising laws destroy impoverished communities
For decades, tracking how well – or badly – governments are doing in drug policy has been an elusive endeavour. In no small part, this is because data collection efforts by both governments and the UN have been driven by the outdated and harmful goal of achieving a ‘drug-free society.’
Most governments continue to employ a repressive approach to drug control based on this skewed data, which in turns means they cannot be held accountable for the damage their policies inflict on the lives of so many people.

But data – and a global analysis of drug policies that ultimately scores and ranks countries – can change the status quo. Such a tool already exists for many other fields: we have a Global Hunger Index, a Global Health Security Index, a Global Peace Index, a World Press Freedom Index, a Democracy Index and many more.
Can we turn things around?

Of course, we can. This Index is a positive and welcome first step at making governments accountable, but also better informed about what is considered as good drug policy. It is there to initiate constructive discussions about what needs to change, emphasise the importance of evidence – and rights – based drug policies based on recommendations from the United Nations, and guide policy making priorities and reforms for the years to come.

Good, accurate data is power, and it can help us end the “war on drugs” sooner rather than later.

Helen Clark is the of Chair of the Global Commission on Drug Policy and the former Prime Minister of New Zealand.
This is an edited version of Clark´s foreword to the inaugural Global Drug Policy Index, launched this week.

Protect yourself and your family by learning more about Global Health Security

Statistics gathering is absolutely crucial to understanding the index between drugs and their use to the varying demographics across the world. There is no other way to understand truly what’s possible within the spectrum of solutions, without the data being set for analysis. I think that a full set across all demographics known, alongside anonymity in the broader areas like a social program for assistance is key. This is where people might not expect this sort of data gathering, and all throughout when people are outside a volunteer basis on to a subject - paranoia is extremely common.

Abject to this paranoia is the fact that data is being gathered all the time. My phone for instance is able to tell the length of my stride and if I was walking heavy onto one side on any given day.