View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dangers of DMT

livia312

Greenlighter
I have never done any psychedelic drugs before,but I have been really curious about DMT. What are the dangers of this drug?

The same as other psychs... Educate yourself about psychedelics...

Summing it up, none physically but a lot of damage can be done to the mind if used irresponsibly or unprepared

What neurotic said...

To give an idea, I experienced from a second person view this year these dangers and by that i mean that me an one of my roommates purchased a couple grams at one point and experimented with it on several \occasions, him more than I and it was great for a while- I even had one of my strongest and most profound trips from it. But, after maybe a month or so of this, my roommate began to act strangely and this continued to get worse and worse ultimately evolving to the point of schizzoaffective symptoms and behavior. He would whip out his knife randomly and put it to his neck (not while tripping on it mind you, but while sober/stoned) and say outlandish and scary things, even threatening to kill me and then himself at one point. I ha to go around the house and hide all the knives and call his parents to bring him to a mental hospital, and while he has recovered a lot, hes still not the same.

Now some other things need to be considered here such as family history of psychosis, a difficult relationship with his girlfriend at the time, and extreme stress from school as well as a crappy living enviornment in general, so you add that all up and its hard to directly blame DMT but it certainly didn't help...However, a few weeks after this happened and I had been talking to a couple friends about it one friend told me a similar story about someone he knew who had been using DMT so theres a lot of correlation,

I can tell you this though--Ive done it, experienced it to the fullest and come back fine, and so have many people I know, but pretty much everytime Ive done it (and I know drugs obviously dont have a mind) but it seemed as if the drug was telling me it didnt want to be done if that makes any sense. If youre interested in DMT just tread lightly and dont be a hard-head or you may put yourself in a ward. Also it may be worth checking your family pedigree to see iftheres anyone in your family history with schizophrenia or any similar disorder. These dont nesccesarily get passed down, and there are epigentic factors that can both cause or inhibit the onset of schizophrenia, but if you have any sort of family history of psychosis, I strongly recommend staying away. DMT was cool, and Ive had my fill for my lifetime, but after seeing what it can do to those few people who just have psychological allergies to things as powerful as DMT, I don't think I'll ever go back and to be totally honest if theres any hesitation or darkness in your mind at the time, that 5-10minute trip really isnt worth the slight chance of slipping forever.

You run the risk of having a bad trip on it like a friend of mine had. He came out of it OK, and said thankfully it didn't last long; but he doesn't use most psychedelic drugs at all anymore, except for cannabis.

DMT is a 5-HT2B receptor agonist, which have been linked to valvular heart disease.

But that's pretty much it, physically.

Start off small (you can ALWAYS TAKE MORE) I've personally used dmt a few times and used a Ecig coil vape pen. Which is the only way to go. I've tried sandwich and using a titanium nail (which is stupid bc titanium develops alpha casing and that shit cannot be good for you) do some reasearch. I did about two months of research on and off obviously before I tried ~10mg. Then I gradually went up. And then much later on did I actually feel comfortable enough to do a blast off dose and wow it was beautiful. It's truly a beautiful extract.

I feel like having a bad trip is basically the only real danger to any kind of occasional use. Although what roi said about 5-HT2B agonists being linked to heart disease is news to me.

The guy waving a knife around sounds like he set off some latent psychosis, which is a risk with any psychedelics. And it should be mentioned that basically any thing in life has a small chance of setting of psychosis if you have a latent mental disease..

Also, it's important to vape it and not -smoke- it. Smoking it produces undesirable byproducts that are not friendly to your lungs. So figure out a method to vaporize it properly. GVG and glass bulbs (like a meth pipe) seem to be the best methods. A lot of people like the machine, but I dislike the involvement of the metal scrubbie material. I can ALWAYS taste it even after "treating it properly", that faint metal taste remains with every brand I've tried no matter how much I clean the metal. I would stick with an all glass method personally, you just have to get the technique down.

I have in the past gone through long periods vaping DMT in modest amounts every night, and I only noticed benefits. Seems less harmful than a beer if you ask me.

There is a story on the DMT-Nexus about a guy who drowned after smoking on the side of a river, without a sitter. I can see how such an accident could happen and I don't wish it on anybody.

So common sense dictates that you find a safe spot, especially when you're doing it alone.

Also I recently found out about the 5htB receptor issue that Roi mentions. I would like to know more about this and its relation to heart problems. I don't think there are acute dangers but I found it a good reminder to myself that these substances aren't exactly Smarties.

Last edited:
In theory psilocin would probably be the most dangerous psychedelic for the heart. It has a much higher affinity for 5HT2B receptors than most other classical psychedelics (e.g. LSD, 2C-E, mescaline). DMT also has fairly appreciable affinity for this receptor.

^yeah well psilocybin is basically an orally active form of DMT as well as psilocin which is a metabolised form of psilocybin.
I wonder how bad is it for the heart, I believe i read the heart valve disease was mostly related to long term abuse of 5HT2B agonists (at least i hope so).

Aside from that DMT won't do any physical harm and the trip is so quick and intense you won't have much time to have anxiety issues and that kind of things. You'll probably want to be in a good place where you can just lay back and enjoy.

I'd say it's better if you try other psychedelic first because if a DMT blast is your first experience you'll probably end up very confused, but even if you have some psychedelic experience you probably won't know what the hell happened anyway hahaha, it's a very strange trip.

Wouldn't worry about the 5HT2B agonism too much with this one especially considering the duration while the risk with those agonists is chronic exposure.

But DMT does tend to give your heart and bloodvessels a considerable jolt, acutely. Should be fine for most people and not a serious danger but it is something I would mention when drug combinations or heart illness are involved for example.

Psychologically: confusion and existential disorientation, increased suggestibility to questionable ideas, views about self and reality, delusional ideation. But at the same time it can help with all these too. Double edged sword and all that.