• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Dangerous, the opposite or neither to use Trihexyphendiyl / Artane / Anticholinergics

Båtmannen

Bluelighter
Hello

I use Abilify. I am prescribed 10 mg e d but use 2,5 mg as I've seen some studies that says it works as an add-on for depression and a lot of people (including me, after testing it) report getting increased energy from it. Not extraordinarily strange, considering it's a partial agonist rather than antagonist at D-receptors.

I also use amphetamine, as some might recall. Yes I know the combination is stupid, even dangerous. That's why I usually skip abilify when using amphetamine. I also know they counter-act eachother (both ways - amphetamine induce psychosis and aripiprazole is an anti-psychotic* ( has affinity for D-receptors, as an antagonist if there's a full agonist there, s ), yet the side-effects appears to work just fine together. I'm talking (typing) that both have cardiovascular (tachycardia and atrial fibrillation, et cetera) side effects, and also stiff-muscle side effects, like EPS for abilify and tremor (which is included in EPS, yes I know) from amphetamine.

(*Even though it is not recommended as treatment for psychosis, from what I can tell?) Not the topic question)

Now. I use Artane / Trihexyphenidyl to counter abilify side-effects. Today, though, I have used both amphetamine and abilify, and realized I lost my benzodiazepines afterwards (yes, stupid, idiotic etc, not the point - whatever happened, happened,).

I'm just asking: I'm imagining taking trihexyphenidyl might help, since it does help with abilify side effects. However, I've also read that trihexyphenidyl could increase Dopamine levels. No good source at all, but but anti-Parkinson-meds work by leveling the levels of dopamine and acetylcholine, and when D is too low compared to A, Parkinsons(ism) is what occures. (Well then why don't amphetamine fix the problems with regards to anti-psychotics and EPS/etc? Not topic-question,but I guess because dopamine works at many places and amphetamine releases it to the wrong Place).

Now I also read that amphetamine works as an antagonist at at M1-receptors so the trihexyphenidyl might not work at all. So def' not dangerous, right?

Why did I even ask? Well because if trihexy- in some way at all increases dopamine, or in some way make stimulation-drug-induced side-effects worse, things could go sour. I Think it could make things better, as it is CNS-depressing, but perhaps it's wishful thinking.

So, in my case or just general amphetamine-induced-chaos (panic, high heart rate etc), would this anti-Parkinson-agent be dangerous. don't change anything related to A-I-C, or would it perhaps even help? Obviously it would still have it's own side effects, and make dry mouth even drier, but that's not what I'm wondering.

Now please no "call 911" because the time it took to write this message and doing other stuff...has solved what relatively non-problematic problems my small A-intake had caused me (except the long-term, which - if you remember my other thread and A-related problems - I have worked efficiently to counter-effect, although it has created Another serious problem.. no matter).

Safe to use Artane/Trihexyphenidyl when using large doses of stimulants?

I'm no expert, but at first glance it doesn't seem like it would be dangerous. It also doesn't seem like it would be very effective, if at all.

Is abilify the only antipsychotic you have on hand? Like you noted, it's not normally used as monotherapy - I found it fairly useless as a mood stabiliser, and I'd hesitate to even call it an antipsychotic at all - instead, it's usually relegated to just augmenting other medications. Something like Seroquel or even Zyprexa is usually ideal at rapidly killing an amphetamine trip or comedown; some of the older, more sedating antidepressants are effective too (you implied you were taking an antidepressant, but not which one). Failing that, an antihistamine such as doxylamine or promethazine should help you be able to get some sleep, and many are available OTC in several countries (you didn't specify where you live).

I have some seroquel, promethazine, clemastine and perhaps hydroxyzine at home, too. The antidepressant I use every day is Mirtazapine, 45 mg, and Bupropion 300 mg those days I bother to go get my meds (buprenorphine + some other stuff).

I was thinking that perhaps the spasmiolytic/muscle-relexant effect of the trihexyohenidyl could help with the tremor I get from amphetamine use (obviously benzo will Always be my first choice, but should I not have it … perhaps Artane would help better than nothing?).

Are you specifically aiming to stay awake afterward, or cancel out the effects of the amphetamine completely (and get to sleep)?

Are you specifically aiming to stay awake afterward, or cancel out the effects of the amphetamine completely (and get to sleep)?

Aiming to stay awake and minimize the tremor/muscle spasms/rigidity I get from amphetamine. This is where Trihexyphenidyl enters the picture, and I wonder if it could help somewhat.

Abilify only cancels out the good effects from amphetamine. It actually raises my heart rate significantly during amphetamine comedown. Weird, since it should act as an antagonist as long as I have amphetamine in my system.