Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Daily Mail - Not Listening – the Left’s Favourite Tactic in Argument

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Peter Hitchens

17 May 2012 11:53 AM

With reader comments

Last night (Wednesday 16th February) I took part in a debate about drugs at the Institute of Economic affairs (IEA) in London. My opponent was a Mr Christopher Snowdon. I made arguments familiar to readers here, mainly the recitation of unquestionable facts and examples, about the deliberate decision of the British governing class to cease to enforce the laws against possession of (technically) illegal drugs, above all the laws against cannabis.

As usual, I might as well not have bothered. Much of the audience, Thatcherite liberals and ‘libertarians’ who have swallowed Friedrich Hayek, followed him up with a heavy helping of J.S.Mill and for some reason think they are conservatives, and my opponent, whose contribution deeply disappointed me, sat there while I said these things ( I was going to say ‘listened’, but I think that may be a severe and misleading exaggeration) and then they continued to advance their standard argument, that this country is subject to a wicked and severe ‘prohibition’ of drugs, which causes grave harm and must therefore be ended. And then there were the usual patsies of the ‘Medical Marijuana’ fancy, long ago revealed by its inventor as a propagandist red herring.

They insistently use the word ‘prohibition’, to assert a wholly false parallel between the American ban on the sale and manufacture of previously legal, mass-produced and mass-consumed alcohol, with Britain’s wholly different drug laws. When the falsity (on every level) of the parallel is pointed out to them, they do not in any way engage, or enter into a proper discussion of the differences. They just do it again.

More...
http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co...g-the-lefts-favourite-tactic-in-argument.html

Peter Hitchens is an ignorant, uneducated, close minded mongoloid, not even going to read his article because they're so absurd that it would be funny if it didn't make me so damn angry that people actually think like that.

Ok I lied, I read it, and the fact that he spends more time arguing about how soulless and evil the metric system is made me laugh, and more to the point, completely devalidates his point of view on drugs.

Last edited:
Looks like the guy he was debating with has replied to him in the comments...

Peter,

It is vain to assume that people who are unpersuaded by your arguments have not been listening. I realise that you think that cannabis users usually get of with, relatively speaking, a slap of the wrist. I agree with you. From this you draw the conclusion that there has been no real prohibition of drugs and, therefore, that the evils that people like me blame on prohibition cannot exist.

I have listened to this argument and I reject it. A non-exhaustive list of the evils of prohibition include the deaths of those who are sold adulterated and unregulated drugs, massive criminal activity in the shadow economy and the triumph of the most lethal derivatives (crack, heroin) as well as the most dangerous mode of delivery (intravenous injection). Regardless of how fiercely the war on drugs is fought against consumers, these are the inevitable consequences of their illegality. Decriminalisation would not change this and so to say, as you do, that we already have de facto decriminalisation makes no difference, even if it were true.

Claiming that there has been no war on drugs because the laws on cannabis are not rigorously enforced is at least debatable, but claiming there has been no *prohibition* is demonstrably untrue, as you will find if you look for the opium aisle in Boots.

Posted by: Christopher Snowdon | 17 May 2012 at 12:46 PM

but claiming there has been no *prohibition* is demonstrably untrue, as you will find if you look for the opium aisle in Boots.

Posted by: Christopher Snowdon | 17 May 2012 at 12:46 PM

^ That's an instant classic right there! Peter hitchens is an idiot.

you guys remember when Juklian Assange asked "who invited this twit" lmao... seriouisly though that guy seems like such a turd I can't belive it would seem as if his opinion is to be respected

Peter Hitchens kept saying, "Where is this war on drugs?"

The man is a fool - and for him to suggest that 'the left' aren't listening is hilariously hypocritical of him.

Plus, the fact that people on all sides are calling for drug legalisation / decriminalisation, makes the headline nonsense for a start.