• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Dad called 911 for an ecstasy overdose, charged with child neglect

AbsintheKittie

Bluelighter
This happed just a few days ago near by I thought I would share this stupidity with you all. ......SIGH..

http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...icles/bn9/2013/2/11/dad_called_911_for_a.html

A Pinellas County dad who called 911 seeking medical attention for an ecstasy overdose was arrested on a child neglect charge when deputies discovered he was taking care of a 10-year-old boy, according to an arrest affidavit.

That dad, Joseph Clark, 34, made his first appearance before a judge on Monday. His attorney, Luke Lirot, said the boy was Clark's son and it's a good thing 911 was called.

"I think anytime you self-report, it shows you at least have some presence of mind,” said Lirot. “You are trying to certainly protect yourself and the people you're charged with the responsibility to take care of."

Clark called deputies to his home near Kenneth City at 8:45pm on Saturday, according to a report. Deputies noted that Clark’s physical condition became so incapacitated that he called 911 seeking medical attention and was transported to the hospital.

Deputies said Clark told them he normally takes 9-to-10 doses of ecstasy but that day, he’d taken 40 doses in a six-hour period. Lirot said Clark got addicted to drugs after a surgery in 2006.

“He had some surgery on his shoulder several years ago that didn't take,” he said. “I think that was the unfortunate gateway into the world of controlled substances."

Clark was the only adult home with the boy at the time and was arrested on a neglect of a child charge, according to the affidavit. Clark was booked into the Pinellas County Jail early Sunday morning.

"It's really tragic what's happened,” Lirot said. “But we're trying to accept responsibility and deal with what needs to be dealt with and get him into a rehabilitation center as quickly as we possibly can.”

Lirot told the judge he had a drug treatment facility bed lined up for Clark and asked for him to be released on his own recognizance. Instead, the judge decided to reduce Clark's $10,000 bond.

"I'm not really that ecstatic about doing an ROR even if he's going into this treatment facility,” said Judge Dorothy Vaccaro. “I'm going to do a $2,500 bond."

Judge Vaccaro also ordered Clark not to have any contact with his son while the state investigates the case.

"Get yourself into that location. Get the treatment that you need. Don't have any contact with your child right now and really work it,” she said. “Good luck to you."

Lirot said he’s known Clark for many years and he’s a fine guy.

"We've all known that he's had his challenges and we've all tried to work with him,” Lirot said. “I think that the nature of this event was quite a shock and a great disappointment."

http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...icles/bn9/2013/2/11/dad_called_911_for_a.html

Last edited by a moderator:
its one thing if you are making these kinds of choices for your self.. it's quite another to make those kinds of choices when you are responsible for another human.

Ugh.. how does some one even consume 40 "doses" of "ecstasy"?

I don't even think my stomach could hold 4 grams of a caustic crystal.. never mind the 12 grams you would have to eat to get that kind of dose in pills

I thought this was going to be a "kid got into parents drugs" story...even more sad if you ask me. a little bit of education goes a long way. but from the sound of it...this would have happened anyway just with another drug like heroine or oxy.

40 doses does sound like an awful lot.. could this story be bullshit? I don't really trust news anymore, especially not drug stories

I say he took to much, realized it, called 911 and now they're calling him a child neglecter... it's a rotten system. He should get help with his drug addiction instead

One dose or forty doses the guy is still an asshole. The state has laws to protect children not to make sure a grown 34 y/o man feels good about himself.

I say he took to much, realized it, called 911 and now they're calling him a child neglecter... it's a rotten system. He should get help with his drug addiction instead

I was commenting on this post probably didn't say it right. He is indeed a child neglecter. Yes he should get help but that isn't the states responsibility.He is a grown man who should have known better,not a 17 y/o babysitting. He should be ashamed of himself.

I was commenting on this post probably didn't say it right. He is indeed a child neglecter. Yes he should get help but that isn't the states responsibility.He is a grown man who should have known better,not a 17 y/o babysitting. He should be ashamed of himself.

While I question the integrity of this article, if he indeed is taking 40 doses of 'Ecstasy' due to a severe addiction then he doesn't have a choice. One would assume that the withdrawals that accompany such a heavy addiction would render child caring almost impossible regardless. Have a little empathy for addiction - it doesn't matter what responsibilities you may have when an addiction takes over. The guy clearly needs help, providing the article is even somewhat factual - which i'd question. The ambigious nature of it leads to me believe that they have no idea what they're talking about. For example, 40 doses means what? Average recreational dose? 40 Pills? 40 grams? of 'Ecstasy' which could be fuck knows what. I find it hard to believe that someone is really consuming 40 'doses' of 'ecstasy' as it just doesn't work like it used after the first few doses. Further, ecstasy is one of the 'less' addictive drugs out there, so I find it unlikely that you could develop such an addiction but I won't deny the possibility of doing so - you can become addicted to anything.

Sad story really. Sickening how stories like this promote users to avoid seeking medical help when they OD or take something potentially dangerous and run into health problems. Moral of the story - 'If you OD taking illicit substances, work through it yourself or you may face legal issues.' :/

Moral of the story - 'If you OD taking illicit substances, work through it yourself or you may face legal issues.' :/

I'm wondering if people should be saying this on a harm reduction board.

How is this any different to the parents who drink alcohol and neglect their children?

It's a pretty sad story every way you look at it.. I saw a "follow" interview in person with the guy on another local news station and he pretty much said they same thing to them.. He said " I took what would be about 40 hits for normal people" I would have to guess that would be 100mg * 40 being around 4 grams.. and that is just OMG.. I know I have done like a gram maybe 1.5 grams in a night before BUT NEVER when my kids had to count on me or even in the house with them.. I think there is a lot going on here and most of it people will over look. 1st being that is a HUGE amount and just screams that he must have LOTS of issues other then the pain issue.. 2nd.. How long has this been going on? 3rd He needs rehab like there is no tomorrow..

I'm wondering if people should be saying this on a harm reduction board.

Look at the face I posted ---> :/ :/ :/. I don't agree with the moral of the story at all, but thats what it promotes. Would you disagree?

I'd say its worse having a story like that in a newspaper that will be read by many more people than a post on a forum.

^your irony was noted, but many people already hold it as their doctrine--without the slightest moral compunction.

Come to think of it, every OD I've been a part of, nobody has called 911. Two of them were my own OD.

I used to always swallow my common sense and tell people, "Always call 911." But I'm not so zealous any more.