• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

D,L-Phenylalanine + 5-HTP + Psychedelic and/or MDMA

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
Is there anything inherently dangerous or unhealthy about this combination? So far 5-HTP has played nicely (*very* nicely) with MDMA and tryptamines and phenethylamines, but now I have added D,L-Phenylalanine to the equation. Is there any reason why this would screw things up in my neurochemistry? Just trying to play it safe, here. I also take Rhodiola rosea, which I hear is a mild MAOI.

Thanks.

no, L-Phe is present in your diet already, and conversion to DOPA is the rate limiting step (so taking more Phe or Tyr won't increase DA/NE levels directly, unless you are deficient in them). D-Phe is essentially biologically inactive otherwise.
Unless you are taking truly massive amounts of rhodiola, chances are it's not doing much for MAO inhibition. It's many orders of magnitude weaker than e.g. seglegine.

Is there anything inherently dangerous or unhealthy about this combination? So far 5-HTP has played nicely (*very* nicely) with MDMA and tryptamines and phenethylamines, but now I have added D,L-Phenylalanine to the equation. Is there any reason why this would screw things up in my neurochemistry? Just trying to play it safe, here. I also take Rhodiola rosea, which I hear is a mild MAOI.

Thanks.

I think sekio hit the nail on the head, but no harm in playing it slow, just to see if this combination is somehow stronger than you expected.

5-HTP prior to MDMA should increase the MDMA effect, but also increases the risk of serotonin syndrome (I know, because I recently got scolded for neglecting that), so one should advertise against doing so. taking 5-HTP after the MDMA effects have worn off seems to be safe, as far as I have understood now, and help with recovery by speeding up serotonin production.

no, L-Phe is present in your diet already, and conversion to DOPA is the rate limiting step (so taking more Phe or Tyr won't increase DA/NE levels directly, unless you are deficient in them).
so one can take as much l-tyrosine as one wants anytimes? does it help to restore noradrenaline and dopamine levels? is there even such a thing as noradrenaline depletion or dopamine depletion after using stimulants?

so one can take as much l-tyrosine as one wants anytimes? does it help to restore noradrenaline and dopamine levels?

Pretty much, yes. It helps avoid the negative side effects you may run into with higher doses of DOPA (likewise taking tryptophan if the 5htp does anything untowards).

3KMy2tD.png

I don't think I've heard of serotonin syndrome from 5-HTP+MDMA alone. Serotonin has a remarkably short half life, and MDMA does not inhibit MAO enough to be a concern.

is there even such a thing as noradrenaline depletion or dopamine depletion after using stimulants?

Yes, after taking releasing agents (e.g. amphetamines), it's very possible.

Pretty much, yes. It helps avoid the negative side effects you may run into with higher doses of DOPA (likewise taking tryptophan if the 5htp does anything untowards).
yes, that l-DOPA is nothing to mess with I already know for long; it has very real effects on parkinson patients, with very real side effects, so this is clearly a drug and not a food additive. obviously, the same is true for 5-HTP, at least in a weaker sense.

also, the reactions to 5-HTP seem to be very different from person to person. some well-responsers claim that it is much more efficient as antidepressant than SSRIs; other people (like me, for example) get no noticeable effect out of it at all.

I don't think I've heard of serotonin syndrome from 5-HTP+MDMA alone. Serotonin has a remarkably short half life, and MDMA does not inhibit MAO enough to be a concern.
so you do not think it is that serious? thank's for relieving me! I have only very limited experiences with entactogens, but I remember one try where I heavily preloaded with high doses of both 5-HTP and l-tyrosine for a week before taking methylone, and it did indeed increase the effects of the methylone, while not causing any side effects to me.

what do you think about the risk of pre- and postloading with 5-HTP for a entactogenic experience, and additionally taking a single SSRI dose after the entactogen's effect wore off to decrease the risk of damaging serotonergic neurons with dopamine reuptake - would that be a real risk for serotonin syndrom?

Yes, after taking releasing agents (e.g. amphetamines), it's very possible.
but the refilling takes much less time, correct? more like days, instead of the weeks it take to refill depleted serotonin reservoirs. I guess this has something to do with the role of adrenaline and noradrenaline as "stress hormons" triggering fight-or-flight-or-freeze responses?

5-htp and dlpa ingestion effects will depend mostly on an individual's chemistry and its condition on the time of ingestion.

most times:
5-htp gets you dizzy if taken after a week of substance usage
DLPA will get you anxious if ingested after a week aswell.

so maybe its not just the substances, its their converting enzyme state and how it fits in the big picture of chemical balancing.

personally, I found DLPA to be useful pre cocaine use
and mdma right at comedown (and then again 3 times daily for a week after 1 or 2 full days)

tremors, brain zaps, muscle spasms and night terrors are all indicators that your chemical balance is off.
even though you can skip over all these effects now, you shouldn't, you should still try to eat right, excessive and supplement accordingly...

p.s. if you can stomach the increased dosages, 5-htp will make most people feel a slight +1 after 10-14 days administration of 100mg x 3 daily minimum.

I tried 5HTP, for 2 weeks now, only 50mg, they really worked at first, but had the opposite effect yesterday and i was so drowsy and felt sad, so i didnt take one today, the come down is awful, fuzzy tingling spaced out feeling in my head, achy body and twitchy, cant stop grinding my teeth either, these are addictive but i was told they werent. Id recommend to definitely stay away from these!

If you find yourself "addicted" to amino acid supplements, you need to eat more protien :\