• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

D.A.R.E. Was Laughably Bad; Are New School Anti-Drug Programs Any Better?

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
D.A.R.E. Was Laughably Bad; Are New School Anti-Drug Programs Any Better?
Written by David Heitz | Published on February 27, 2015

Two new programs, NOPE and Shatterproof, hope to use science to convince teens not to use drugs.

D.A.R.E. Was Laughably Bad
It was 1986 when first lady Nancy Reagan, like a firm aunt, acknowledged America’s youth had fallen prey to illegal, mind-altering drugs.

“Just say no,” she told the children of the 1980s.

The idea behind the campaign, much like today’s anti-bullying campaigns, was to stand up for what’s right. Decline drugs when offered, “even if it makes you unpopular,” she warned.

Today, critics say modern science makes Mrs. Reagan’s simplistic message easy to mock.

Her hopeful approach evolved into the Drug Abuse Resistance Education (D.A.R.E.) program in schools nationwide. While police officers in many communities won accolades for engaging kids in the classroom, the program in general was declared unsuccessful by a number of agencies and studies.

Today, thousands of teens die every year from drug overdoses. The biggest culprit is opiates, pain drugs that suppress the central nervous system.

Although painkiller abuse among all Americans is down, heroin overdoses are up, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Overdoses from prescription drugs overall are also up nationwide, although they are leveling off.

Many parents of children who die from drug overdoses report their children took several drugs together in dangerous cocktail combinations, such as Adderall and alcohol.

New Programs Take a Different Approach
Unlike the abstinence based “Just Say No” or D.A.R.E., a new approach to drug education called NOPE focuses on the problem with opiates. It has proven one of the most difficult links to break in the chain of addiction.

NOPE, or Narcotics Overdose Prevention and Education, puts together large assemblies at schools all over the United States. Students watch a multimedia presentation of parents sobbing at the funerals of their children who died from drug overdoses.

In addition to its cornerstone video presentation, other stakeholders such as law enforcement come together at middle schools, high schools, and colleges to deliver the message that drug abusers die.

And then there’s Shatterproof, which as its name implies aims to keep kids from finding their lives in pieces.

The nonprofit was founded by a successful entrepreneur with an ambitious business plan and a large bankroll.

Shatterproof hopes to become the American Cancer Society or American Heart Association of addiction, a massive fundraising machine that brings all stakeholders to the table under one umbrella.

The program even holds events where participants rappel down the side of office buildings to help build their self-esteem.

Acknowledging Addiction to Stamp Out Stigma
What Nancy Reagan and her campaign did do was finally admit the U.S. had a big problem with drugs. While still highly stigmatized, drug addiction is now something parents around the country are stepping forward to talk about.

They include parents like Karen H. Perry, executive director of the Florida-based NOPE Task Force, and Gary Mendell, founder of New York City-based Shatterproof.

While their approaches to the problem of drug addiction are a bit different, their stories are similar.

Both lost their sons when the boys were in their early 20s. They both told Healthline their child’s drug problem began with marijuana. Both kids had used a smorgasbord of drugs. And both kids had been through treatment and had stayed clean for several months or longer.

And while some people believe a child’s drug problem is usually the result of bad parenting, Perry and Mendell stand out as textbook examples of parents who tried to do all they could to raise their children right and get them help when needed.

continued here http://www.healthline.com/health-news/are-new-school-anti-drug-programs-better-than-dare-022715#4

haha i remember DARE. Great program that teaches kids how to do drugs and get high from common household products.

I hardly remember anything from when I was in grade school, but I do remember being in some DARE class. After the class I went up to the policeman and mentioned Beavis and Butthead because in one of the episodes they refused drugs from someone at a concert I think it was. When I mentioned the show he was like "That's a bad show" or some shit like that. Was pretty funny tho when he didn't really say anything when I told him about them turning down drugs.

Also, anyone remember this song? lol...

Last edited:
Don't remember that song but did you see the cartoon? To this day, I blame D.A.R.E. for all of my problems.

Both lost their sons when the boys were in their early 20s. They both told Healthline their child’s drug problem began with marijuana.

Chances are your kids first tried Sugar and Caffeine respectively, then Nicotine, followed by Alcohol, and then probably Marijuana.

It would be inconvenient however to point that out for obvious reasons, so the 'Reefer Madness' ensues, or something like that, correct?

As someone who has probably never consumed 'street drugs,' inconvenient or half-truths can completely undermine your ability to understand why so many young people continue to resort to 'street drug' use. And I emphasize "why" and nothing more, because that's the question that should be asked and addressed regarding drug use, and never the end result ("Oh no, someone broke our fundamentally contradicted drug laws (again), so let's ruin his or her life further, and it'll somehow make it all okay in the end.)

Oh man. I vividly remember D.A.R.E! I was in 4th grade when the officer would come "educate" us about drugs, alcohol, and nicotine. He was such a dick. haha. It's because of that guy I grew up thinking all cops are complete asshole for no reason. well, one of the reasons.

Chances are your kids first tried Sugar and Caffeine respectively, then Nicotine, followed by Alcohol, and then probably Marijuana.

It would be inconvenient however to point that out for obvious reasons, so the 'Reefer Madness' ensues, or something like that, correct?

As someone who has probably never consumed 'street drugs,' inconvenient or half-truths can completely undermine your ability to understand why so many young people continue to resort to 'street drug' use. And I emphasize "why" and nothing more, because that's the question that should be asked and addressed regarding drug use, and never the end result ("Oh no, someone broke our fundamentally contradicted drug laws (again), so let's ruin his or her life further, and it'll somehow make it all okay in the end.)

Fucking nailed it

I guess a big part of the USA's problem with opioid addiction is the easy availability of prescribtion drugs... I mean, where I live (middle europe), it is pretty impossible for a teenager to get anything stronger than codeine or dihydrocodeine (cough syrup), and even then you'd have to go to a actual doctor and fake a cough, because you're probably the only one in your peer group who even knows about the stuff (at least it was like that for me).

when I read here about how common it is for teens to take oxycodone, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, etc.. it really baffles me. and I am under the impression that most people start out with rx drugs, and then probably switch to heroin because it's cheaper (with which follow the higher risks associated with illegal drugs).

same thing with stimulants... very few people here get rx amphetamines or even methylphenidate, prescription for ADD is much much less common here.

^The US is famous for the strange bedfellows of Promotion/Prohibition. Drugs that are called medications are pushed on everybody for everything and anything every day and drugs that are demonized are moralistically denied and, should you defy that denial, you will be strictly punished (especially if you are brown, black or poor).

I share the experience of those two mothers but it led me to very different conclusions and set me on a very different path. I believe that without the craziness of big pharma's complete takeover of mental health and the war on drugs my son might still be alive today. Of course I do not pretend that his death can be blamed on that alone but those two factors played a huge role in his despair and addiction. The sheer hypocrisy of these two coexisting is mind boggling.

If we want to save our children's lives we need to support them becoming human beings that can think and feel with confidence rather than teaching them from a very early age that their emotions are mental illness (that must be medicated), their boredom with school is a mental disorder (that must be medicated) and that the existential loneliness ( a natural and necessary part of being human) they feel is simply a lack of personal success.

People have a right to cognitive liberty, to change their consciousness as they see fit. I would love to live in a society that taught people how to do this safely and for the purpose of growth rather than oblivion. I work with children and I am as scared as the next caring adult about abuse and addiction. The difference is that I am not scared of the drugs, I am scared of the vulnerability to abuse that our misguided society builds into children.

I guess a big part of the USA's problem with opioid addiction is the easy availability of prescribtion drugs... I mean, where I live (middle europe), it is pretty impossible for a teenager to get anything stronger than codeine or dihydrocodeine (cough syrup), and even then you'd have to go to a actual doctor and fake a cough, because you're probably the only one in your peer group who even knows about the stuff (at least it was like that for me).

when I read here about how common it is for teens to take oxycodone, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, etc.. it really baffles me. and I am under the impression that most people start out with rx drugs, and then probably switch to heroin because it's cheaper (with which follow the higher risks associated with illegal drugs).

same thing with stimulants... very few people here get rx amphetamines or even methylphenidate, prescription for ADD is much much less common here.

I think it's blown out of proportion honestly... Where I live it's pretty impossible to get painkillers on the street but really easy to get weed and fairly easy to get psychedelics. Bigger cities of course you're going to have more selection. It also seems like different areas attract different types of drugs to me at least. As far as doctors here, they've cracked down pretty hard on giving people painkillers and other narcotics. The DEA has enacted some fairly stringent regulations.

That D.A.R.E song reminds me of Eye of the Tiger.

Nutty, the thing is I don't really think it's blown out of proportion nationwide. Of course there are pockets where opioids and other psychoactive RX drugs are still very hard to find or conversely particularly easy to find. On the whole, though, we're a country with incredibly easy access to a whole shit ton of drugs. The DEA has been going after doctors for a long time and it hasn't changed much, IMO. Just a few months ago a distant cousin of mine was arrested because she was writing herself Vicodin by giving them to a friend or some shit (she was a dentist). The fact that she was arrested might be evidence that the DEA is doing more, but this went on for years and years unnoticed or un-acted on and it's not as though she's the only one, nor is that the only way drugs make it to the street. I dunno, I guess I've just heard Bagseed's same story about the climate in Europe a whole number of times and it's just not what I see or read about here. That's super scientific I know.