• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Cut Off From MS 60s as of Tomorrow...how hard am I gonna feel this?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I'm prescribed 8 x 30mg Codeine and 2 x 10mg morphine a day but usually take double of both (partly recreationally, but partly just because my pain is very undertreated).

I think I've mentioned on here a while ago, I have a "thing" going with my neighbour. He's prescribed the slow-release 60mg Morphine Sulphate pills* and will usually trade me most of his prescription** for...um..favours.

But he just moved away (abroad) and I took the last of the pills he'd given me today.

I am doomed to withdrawal? If so should I try and suffer cold turkey when my own pills run out (I'll probably have to go about 6-7 days without any opioids) or try and make my rx last but probably have moderate withdrawal the whole time?

Fuckyfuckyfuck.

Why do bad things happen to terrible people? :(

*Trigeminal Neuralgia
** The pain is an off-and-on thing, he saves the pills up on the days he doesn't need them, I'm not taking meds from someone who will be in pain without them

The latter answer is pretty much objectively the best option as you will likely make your WDs more manageable. It's hard to even say without knowing just how many of the other pills you were taking/approx daily dosage and how that dosage compares to the dosage of what you are already prescribed.

But in the end, although easier said than done, spacing out whatever opioids you have over a period of time to cut down generally is going to be easier on you. The difficult bit will be trying to stop yourself from breaking whatever schedule you come to (the amount of times I got myself 3 bags of H to "have one left in the morning", only to burn through it before bed, I couldn't even count).

Just try and figure out a dosage schedule so that you can avoid going full cold turkey if this is possible. Maybe be semi-honest with your doctor and say you have recently been using on top due to your prescription not being enough and seeing if he will temporarily up your dosages while you try to stabilise.

Also do all the things you would usually do when coming off of (or tapering from) opioids: vitamins, benzos if you have any but only short term use, trying to keep your strength up etc.

Good info @pharaoh

You're likely going to end up in withdrawal, so we should try to prepare for that. Loperamide (Immodium) is useful for reducing gastrointestinal symptoms, though higher dosages have been used historically to relieve the symptoms of Opioid withdrawal. Here is the thing, I would recommend Loperamide all the time if it weren't for its side effects. It has the potential to cause death due to Loperamide's potential to mess with the heart's Qt interval.

With HR philosophy in mind, I can't positively recommend high-dose Loperamide. Now, if it were me and I had to say, make it through two days of work and had no other options, yea I'll end up taking the Loperamide. If you want to take that risk then I would suggest ~40mg Loperamide per day at most.

Are you familiar with all of the common comfort medications we discuss here? Gabapentin (Neurontin), Pregabalin (Lyrica) and/or Clonidine (Catapres)? These medications, combined with some Loperamide, should be enough to keep you sane and fucntional for a few days of withdrawal.

I would highly advise rationing your remaining medication carefully, so you will have the opportunity of relief during the worst of the syndrome. I know you are unlikely to do this, so i recommend moving on and preparing for a situation without any Opioids.

I'm prescribed 8 x 30mg Codeine and 2 x 10mg morphine a day but usually take double of both (partly recreationally, but partly just because my pain is very undertreated).

I think I've mentioned on here a while ago, I have a "thing" going with my neighbour. He's prescribed the slow-release 60mg Morphine Sulphate pills* and will usually trade me most of his prescription** for...um..favours.

But he just moved away (abroad) and I took the last of the pills he'd given me today.

I am doomed to withdrawal? If so should I try and suffer cold turkey when my own pills run out (I'll probably have to go about 6-7 days without any opioids) or try and make my rx last but probably have moderate withdrawal the whole time?

Fuckyfuckyfuck.

Why do bad things happen to terrible people? :(

*Trigeminal Neuralgia
** The pain is an off-and-on thing, he saves the pills up on the days he doesn't need them, I'm not taking meds from someone who will be in pain without them
I was on the ms-30mg er twice a day for about 7 years or so. I know it is half as strong but I took them on a regular schedule so I assume my body was physically addicted. I took one in the morning and one at night. I was on an other opiod and Valium 10mg, but as keif Richard's mentioned, I was lucky enough to have a doctor who prescribed me gabapentin and clonidine, so even though my body was use to 60mg of morpine around the clock for 7 or so years. With another opiod(10mg oxycodone prescribed longer)(valium10mg was on Ativan, lorazepam 2mg) with the clonidine and gabapentin; I felt nothing, no withdrawals at all.
I don't know your situation in regards to doctors and whether or not your body is physically addicted and can you get Lyrica or gabapentin and clonidine?
The first question is how often and for how long.( meaning is your body physically addicted; meaning did you use them often enough and long enough to cause a physical dependence)?
Second if you are physically dependent; can you get either Lyrica or gabapentin(Neurontin) and/or clonidine as mention by Keif Richard's and used by me?
Third: can you get benzos, I can only vouch for Ativan(lorazepam) and Valium( diazepam) but others probably will help also.

Im a damned junkie. Been injured so many times I ended up having many operations and pain conditions/syndromes.
Narcotics and sedatives since 1998. Through 5 surgeries and 3 broken bones, countless torn ligaments. Lyrica, klonopin, methadone, hydrocortisone, clonidine, beta blocker, illicit valium n xanax off streets (no alcohol, plenty THC).
As the doctor weans me (Methadone from 60 to 15, norco 30mg to 0, kpin 3mg to .75mg/day), I find that....

I hit the streets for valium, xannies, to compensate. Thing is pain aint that much worse even reducing. W/D and psychological cravings are another story. I keep getting older but the meds keep on getting lessor from legal dealers (docs and pharmacists)' who gave me the idea through medication I could still function after accidents causing ongoing pain. Unfortunately, drugs are easy to find so I get morrer from street dealers.
Only taking valium or alprolazam no pressies as seen friends die from blue 'Perc 30s" or chalky 2mg counterfeit benzo bars.

Drug dependent folks(or dirty junkies, however you choose to describe those not unlike yourself) are being forced off of rx and they turn to the streets as an alternative to suffering.
and getting a hot supply of unsafe unregulated unmeasured crap. Not out of moral weakness but rather a desperate need to feel like you are covered when docs are doing mostly shaming and then pharmacists too. Personally I rather get the non judgemental treatment from a dealer on a rather similar station.
Bought xanax out of a fellow in a storage unit tonite. He was snoozing in the back of his unit and had to crawl out to serve me. LOL

After 60 mgs/methadone now I take 15mg/day. Pretty "broke off" from auto accidents and breaking bones, 55 now
It seems you know about and have been given "junkie" level drugs; so without saying you, Jnowhere, are a junkie, just saying you understand the junkie life pretty well. How to deal with withdrawal and one's needs being taken care of in the pharmalogical sense; I for one am finding it possible to survive on a "more is less" philosophy. I mean "less is more" less being methadone and other opiods; and more being benzos
I just wish I didnt buy benzos off the street; pretty happy to feel less shackled to methadone.
Sorry about your livers.

Im a damned junkie. Been injured so many times I ended up having many operations and pain conditions/syndromes.
Narcotics and sedatives since 1998. Through 5 surgeries and 3 broken bones, countless torn ligaments. Lyrica, klonopin, methadone, hydrocortisone, clonidine, beta blocker, illicit valium n xanax off streets (no alcohol, plenty THC).
As the doctor weans me (Methadone from 60 to 15, norco 30mg to 0, kpin 3mg to .75mg/day), I find that....

I hit the streets for valium, xannies, to compensate. Thing is pain aint that much worse even reducing. W/D and psychological cravings are another story. I keep getting older but the meds keep on getting lessor from legal dealers (docs and pharmacists)' who gave me the idea through medication I could still function after accidents causing ongoing pain. Unfortunately, drugs are easy to find so I get morrer from street dealers.
Only taking valium or alprolazam no pressies as seen friends die from blue 'Perc 30s" or chalky 2mg counterfeit benzo bars.

Drug dependent folks(or dirty junkies, however you choose to describe those not unlike yourself) are being forced off of rx and they turn to the streets as an alternative to suffering.
and getting a hot supply of unsafe unregulated unmeasured crap. Not out of moral weakness but rather a desperate need to feel like you are covered when docs are doing mostly shaming and then pharmacists too. Personally I rather get the non judgemental treatment from a dealer on a rather similar station.
Bought xanax out of a fellow in a storage unit tonite. He was snoozing in the back of his unit and had to crawl out to serve me. LOL

After 60 mgs/methadone now I take 15mg/day. Pretty "broke off" from auto accidents and breaking bones, 55 now
It seems you know about and have been given "junkie" level drugs; so without saying you, Jnowhere, are a junkie, just saying you understand the junkie life pretty well. How to deal with withdrawal and one's needs being taken care of in the pharmalogical sense; I for one am finding it possible to survive on a "more is less" philosophy. I mean "less is more" less being methadone and other opiods; and more being benzos
I just wish I didnt buy benzos off the street; pretty happy to feel less shackled to methadone.
Sorry about your livers.
I am not a junkie and I have never personally scored drugs off the street. The shit I have seen and been near, is a different story I will not talk about. I keep other people dirty secrets just that, their secrets.
Me I use to be a very hard drinking alky, so much so I got diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver just a few week before turning 40, and eventually became severely allergic to booze, thank you ALMIGHTY GOD. I was told I had a year too live in December 2015 unless I got a liver transplant. They said I had to drive everyday to some place in Detroit and piss in a cup to make sure I wasn't I still drinking; before they would put me on the organ donor list I said fuck that I'll die. Guess what here I am still alive.( considering the fact that I can't physically drink, it is hard to get down and keep it down, then I itch like crazy all over and shitloads of benadryl don't help, I hate alcohol and can't drink no more)
All my prescription drug come from the pharmacy and I voluntarily gave up my morphine script. When the pain from chronic pancreatitus lessened considerably.
What ever drugs I get, are for pain and other issues mostly with my pancreas.
I have some good scripts for legit reasons and although I need more Oxycodone. My state sucks for pain patients
I have learned through bluelight how to deal with certain things. And people like Keif Richards and have learned what to do about certain things. I maybe on on a bunch of meds but I am not a junkie.

Yes, the situation for the "legitimate" pain patients in the United States is totally unjust. I would never argue that point. For that matter, I don't feel the situation should be different for purely recreational users of Opioids either.

There is a huge amount of stigma. I don't think it has lessened in any way over time. I think the way the stigma is applied has changed. Both legitimate and recreational users of Opioids feel it. Pain patients feel the weight of morality on their shoulders every time they accept a prescription. The situation is never one where they're made to feel that they should feel okay about taking the Opioids. It's bad, Opioids are bad and it's not the doctor accepting but relenting.

We've gone from a system of balls to the wall unlimited Opioid prescriptions for the masses to folks with debilitating pain being unable to function normally due to lack of pain management. Physicians act as if they are totally innocent in all of this. They get to maintain the moral high ground regardless of how much damage they do. They made people into addicts who never would have been otherwise, only to brutally withdraw those prescriptions, label their patients addicts and wash their hands of the situation. They were all pretty lucky big pharma took the heat for them, as in reality, they were essentially equal partners in this crime.

I know it's very aggravating and unfair. It's a really great injustice. I know it's difficult to accept. I wish I had something more optimistic to say. It looks at this point that the United States has a bipartisan dedication to killing off this generation and starting with a clean slate. If the death toll thus far hasn't been enough to trigger radical change (we have hard evidence of such radical change being effective in multiple jurisdictions globally) than I'm not sure what will.

Can you ask this POS doc to slowly taper you off the opioids you were legally prescribed? ……2-3 weeeks of gradual reduction to ease the symptoms

if not…..ask for a script of Clonidine 0.1mg tablets (3 daily), Pregabalin 150mg (2-3 daily) and if possible Diazepam 2mg or 5mg tablets (1-2 daily)