• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Currently an Expert Witness in Federal Criminal Case

Aetherius Rimor

Bluelighter
My Situation
I've found myself in the position of writing a report as an "expert witness" on behalf of the defense due to my career in cognitive science. However my academic focus has been more so in the artificial intelligence and psychology realm; less so in the organic chemistry realm. While the lawyer is extremely happy with the report I've provided, he's asked me if I knew of anyone with a more extensive and verifiable curriculum vitae in the realm of organic chemistry; with a pharmacology background being a bonus.

The Case
The federal government is attempting to charge the defendant with the manufacturing and distribution of Dimethyltryptamine based on the net weight of the entire plant matter along with all the substances added during the extraction process; the DEA lab reports conveniently left the "Purity" and "Amount of Pure Substance" fields blank; despite the GC-MS test they used to identify the substance being capable of providing this information. The defense is also challenging the DEA's classification of DMT as a Schedule 1 drug due to it being "dangerous, addictive, blah, blah, blah" which my report also disputes.

My Request
Is anyone here with the necessary background capable and willing to work with the lawyer to review/certify/add more details to the report? His concern is the prosecution will attempt to bring in their own expert witness to challenge my findings; so the defense attorney would like to have a second more highly qualified expert confirm my findings as well to prevent any issues. Bonus if you're in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas area as the Lawyer's office is in Fort Worth; but he said a formal statement by a credentialed expert sent via PDF with contact details and signature would also be acceptable. I've reached out to one of the Professor's I know personally who typically assists me with these situations but he tends to be pretty busy usually so I decided to reach out here as well; thanks!

This is pretty easy. If you don't know there are dozens of companies out there, whose job is to find experts for lawyers. The big ones are JurisPro.com, IMS (https://www.expertservices.com/), and TASA (www.tasanet.com). A quick search there will find you a lot of qualified and experienced experts in your field. You don't want to do this yourself?
I've never been in this situation before personally and the lawyer asked if I could reach out to the people I knew about. Thanks for the links, I'll check those out!

I would help, but have a personal issue with these manufacturers and the drugs usage as it pertains to me... I could speak and completely scrub any and all criminal accusations regarding this and have experience doing so. But I would selfishly need a couple favors in return. I dont have any good standing with court or legal enforcement regarding anything beyond nullifying any case that has a relation to one or any of a variety of topics that I have inadvertently been studying in my down time. It is a useless thing for me to have the capacity to do, because it is sort of the opposite direction than id prefer any court case to go in this regard.. Iuh, I do appreciate the creative approach to building capitol. Anyway. as i said. I can help if needed. have nothing to argue , or would have..