• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Cultural Appropriation

I agree with both drug_mentor and foreigner.

Reducing things to "logical" and "emotional" is simplistic absolutism to my way of thinking.
I live in a place built on bloody colonialism, genocide and the social problems that has caused are difficult to deal with, let alone solve.

History can be a hurtful thing for a lot of the world's oppressed peoples, or those disadvantaged by history. It is only logical to acknowledge the emotional cost of certain kinds of cultural appropriation.
Logic and emotion aren't mutually exclusive. Such thinking is far too dualistic to be realistic, at least to my way of thinking.

As usual though, people seem to greatly misunderstand this term, what it means and what its implications are.
Most of the instances I come across of people mocking the inconsistencies of the term "cultural appropriation" seem to be misusing or miundedstanding the concept completely.

I hear that those who copy others give the biggest complements.

"History can be a hurtful thing for a lot of the world's oppressed peoples, or those disadvantaged by history. It is only logical to acknowledge the emotional cost of certain kinds of cultural appropriation.
Logic and emotion aren't mutually exclusive. Such thinking is far too dualistic to be realistic, at least to my way of thinking."

I agree with you SJ.