• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Crushing Dexedrine from XR to IR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkStar851

Greenlighter
Hey all, I'd just like to state, this question is not related to recreational use, so I'm just going to be straight with my use of pronouns. "SWIM" is pretty stupid anyways.

This didn't really feel like an appropriate question to ask on medical forums since it so closely mirrors abuse behavior, but I'm asking as I recently switched insurers and I can only get coverage Dexedrine XR (I was previously prescribed 5mg IR, four times daily as needed). The extended release lasts far too long for me for whatever reason, often 10-15 hours from one 15mg capsule, so it's not useful and has been very disruptive.

As I understand it, the spansule XR's release mechanism is just a wax coating, but I figured someone around here might be able to confirm that crushing the XR beads gives the same result as the IR tablets. If that's the case I'll probably purchase a pill crusher and some empty capsules. I'm not super concerned about dose accuracy, I know the wax binder adds volume, but I figure the distribution should be uniform enough to split reliably.

Yes, with Dexedrine Spansules, the extended release mechanism is in the beads themselves, so crushing them makes the medication essentially instant release. A credit card on a flat surface probably won't cut it though with these beads. It can be done, but it's a little difficult and could potentially leave you with an only partially crushed powder, leaving some of the beads still extended release.

You can get a mortar and pestle for a fairly reasonable price at either a pharmacy or at Wal Mart or even a kitchen supply store, whichever is closest I guess.

Thanks for the reply Keif, I assumed as much but I couldn't really find confirmation anywhere. I ground up four caps in a shot glass with the blunt handle of a screwdriver (they're crushed enough, it's just orange-pink powder at this point). I'll try splitting it up when I get up later and report back. Saved the capsules too so I won't have to 'chute the dose, but I usually chew IR anyways, the taste isn't too unpleasant.

I'm closing this as your question has been answered and it's not really OD material.

Status
Not open for further replies.