• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Craigslist Sale Gone Bad I have questions

escalade25

Greenlighter
So I purchased a pit bike (it's essentially a small dirt bike.) before I purchased it the guy told me it needed a carb clean and that was it it would be running perfectly. I took it to the shop after I purchased it they call me up the next day it dosen't just need a carb clean it needs a new motor all together. No where in the listing or the text messages did this guy say it needed a new motor he only specified it needed a simple carb clean. Now I'm out $350 dollars for buying something he completely lied about. Do I have a strong case to take this guy to court or should he be liable to give me my money back?
here is a copy of the craigslist ad: http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/3032628974.html.
he never stated AS-IS no warranty anything like that.

Last edited:
buyer beware, he doesn't have to give you anything back, maybe he will if he's a nice guy and genuinely didn't know the motor was gone.

have you tried contacting the guy before going to court? it's possible that the guy genuinely did not know it needed a new engine.

I would try contacting him and tell him what happened. Ask nicely. If that doesn't work, get pushy. If that doesnt work tell him you'll see him in small claims court. You're probably stuck though, unless he genuinely didn't know the motor was gone and is an honest person. I sold someone an instrument on CL one time - real cheap- like $40, and the dumbass cracked the headstock tuning it too tight. He tried to come back and tell me it was broken when he bought it. I know for a fact it was not, but I was not in the mood the lower myself to squabbling over $40. I gave the fucktard his money back and told him to keep it- I can't re sell it since he broke it-,he was a total dick. Didnt even thank me... But maybe you'll luck out and he'll be that way... Good luck- I hope he does right by you. CL is always kind of a crapshoot.

he never stated AS-IS
you should assume any purchase like this is as-is. caveat emptor.

you can approach him and see what he says but you may have to suck this up and take some responsibility for the fact that you bought a bike without checking it was what you needed.

alasdair

ive watched enough judge judy to know you should get a full refund.

Very limited legal knowledge but a sale is a sale; there are implicit warranties regardless of if you sell through a disjointed forum or not.

Is it running at all? DOA is different from 'not as great of condition as he thought it was in.' The problem isn't exactly something you could claim negligence about.

Unfortunately the threat of small claims is probably your best tool, versus a hearing itself.

The best I see happening is you getting a little money back and being stuck with the bike. Avoid congesting the court system - request he be reasonable and waste neither your time nor his.

Best of luck! Sometimes third-party sales blow.

yes I contacted him he wont give me my money back it appears the previous service record showed this problem arising but they ignoored it seems like I have them by the seat of the pants right there

You didn't check the service history before purchasing??

:?

check its service history?

you bought a dirt bike without trying to start it. or bought a dirt bike that you saw wouldn't start. either way...

Any update on this?

Id consider this a lesson learned. Youre doing all kinds of research now...AFTER you purchased.

It was probably a deal and he got sucked in.

Remember, if it seems too good to be true then it probably is.

Bad idea to buy a bike unseen.

However - I would get it back from the shop as, no offense, you don't come across as knowing a great deal about the bike. Therefore it's possible the shop is talking shit in the hope of a bigger job.

I kinda don't blame him, in regards to not giving you money back. How's he suppose to know YOU didn't mess the engine up. You were trying to get a deal and save money by buying from owner instead of a company or store. It's obvious you know nothing about the mechanics of a dirt bike, since you took it to a shop for repair. I'm stumped as to why you would buy something from a stranger and take his word about its mechanical condition and now expect money back when you were able to inspect it before you bought it. You should probably stick with buying from a big box store or direct from manufacturer then you will have your warranties with everything in writing, and leave the used items to people with more experience and working knowledge.

Didn't think to start it up before forking over the cash?
I'd say try to contact him, if you can't then you should just cut your losses and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Bad sale of a concrete saw

Live in Hanover Pa area and found a concrete saw listed on craigslist in the Harpers Ferry area in Va. Drove an hour plus one way to find out the saw didn't even run. The ad stated "runs good" and now when getting to this guys house it doesn't run at all. He was asking $300 and said he would take $150 since it would even start. He said he knew all about this brand of saw and knew it was a carborator. If he knew that then why wouldn't you fix it and sell it at the $300 as asked. I stead he continues to post ad saying runs great when it doesn't. We drove all the way there going off what this guy told us. What a waste of day!! This guy needs to be honest or remove the ad as he has it stated. Where are peoples morals anymore. Oh and he said I was gonna call you to let you know but he never called.

Is there a possibility that the shop is trying to lure you into buying a new motor? What did they say the reason was for needing a whole new one? Just sounds to me like the shop is trying to.swindle you, more than the seller is. I'd get a second opinion, (no pun intended) and dont mention what the first shop's diagnosis was..

- SS373dOH Soul