• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Could you be able to grow grade heroin @ home in the near future? Article says maybe

g.bentham

Greenlighter
It looks like morphine could grown from yeast cells through the use of synthetic biology. While were not at the stage yet where this could be done in the enterprising junkies basement, technology is developing fast enough that the next generation of grow ops may be exciting indeed.

http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21614093-narcotic-drugs-could-soon-be-manufactured-yeast-new-opium-pipe

Link may be gated, if so I apologize in advance.

I'm also a relatively new poster, so please tell me if I'm doing this all wrong.

It seems as it will not be long before we will be able to employ genetically altered cells to produce whatever O chems we desire. I love how they are assuming that it will be easier to control the illicit production from yeast than it is to control production through flowers. My good fellows its a flower out in the open and root bound in one location. Where as the cultures can be done in pretty much any location and hidden. I bet someone is thinking of doing a little coca gene splicing as we speak. It would be impossible to stop yeast strains from being smuggled anywhere. Welcome to the TSA screening line, we appreciate you getting here three days before your flight. We will begin with your UV sterilization and from there we will be giving you your antibiotic course. We need you to deposit all of your belongings in the bleach tub. After that we are going to proceed with xrays, cavity searches, body imaging etc. Thank you for your patience and we will have you outa here in less than three days. Next.

The day that random governmental "home and business inspections" become a part of normal life here in America are not far off. As far as the gov't is concerned, people simply cannot be trusted or left to their own devices because they WILL do something illegal, so it's time to step in an require "home inspections" as part of citizenship, just like paying taxes, and just blame it on a terrorist infestation and kids doing meth and get all the soccer moms supporting it, convince people it's for their own good, and move closer towards total control. I'm convinced.

I keeled over laughing when I first read the part where she mentions that cultures will be easier to monitor that flowers. I'm wondering if university funding had anything to do with it "So, this won't make narcotics more accessible will it?" - Oh no, yeast cultures are far easier to monitor that poppies - "Hmph, sounds legit"

This is the kind of thing where I look at it, raise an eyebrow, and then go back to whatever I was doing without ever hearing or thinking about it again. Unlike my garden.

I had a psychology prof in college who was an old pothead (no I never smoked with him as he tried to be discreet but would show up to classes very stoned), who told the entire class how he had once tried smoking crack and taken various drugs given to people at mental hospitals like Thorazine, Risperdal, etc. and he said how if people grew opium poppies in their back yard to harvest and use as a pain-killer in moderate or large amounts, the FDA would become very angry, and how they were like this in states where marijuana was legalised for medicinal use where people could grow their own that way.

Last edited:
The day that random governmental "home and business inspections" become a part of normal life here in America are not far off. As far as the gov't is concerned, people simply cannot be trusted or left to their own devices because they WILL do something illegal, so it's time to step in an require "home inspections" as part of citizenship, just like paying taxes, and just blame it on a terrorist infestation and kids doing meth and get all the soccer moms supporting it, convince people it's for their own good, and move closer towards total control. I'm convinced.

Isn't that pretty much a direct violation of the 4th amendment?

"Prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures and sets out requirements for search warrants based on probable cause as determined by a neutral judge or magistrate."

lol @neversickanymore.

However, I did read on here a while back (can't remember what it was called) but the technology already exists in a very early stage and while not yet ready for mainstream, streamlined use like the TSA body scanners, I wouldn't bet that they aren't working their butts off on getting it ready for mass production. Just think of the $$$ they could make selling expensive hardware that barely works to all those agencies around the world to protect the people from themselves!

From my completely ignorant position, the 4th amendment may not matter in a globalised world, in a similar manner that storing the entire planet's metadata isn't invading our privacy (as you could always outsource your unreasonable search and seizures to a different country and then have them give them to the USA once you've gathered the evidence you needed "totally legally" and "without" parallel reconstruction or planted, edited or plain falsified info that incriminates anybody in question).

Is my paranoia showing again, I should probably take my government prescribed meds and go on a holiday. We all need a holiday every now and then.

^ what paranoia? That's a pretty accurate summation (but you know that). :)
Good to see you back and posting, opi.